Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did it make sense for Pontiac to spend the money for its appearance on the Apprentice? (I've heard it may have cost up to 50 million). Anyone who picked up a Car Mag knew this car was coming and I believe anticipation was very high. Did cash strapped GM need the exposure for this car? I believe it was unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Problem is only a small group of people read car mags, or come to these forums. GM showed their car in prime time to over 10 million people. Also I really don't think they spent $50million on that promotional add. There's been talk that slots cost like $2 million for promotion on the Apprentice to other things we've read. Also the Oprah give away literally gave away over 260 G6's costing near $7 million. At $50 million GM could have given away 2000 FULLY LOADED Solsti, or 2500 base Solsti. GM now has 8100+ Solsti orders too. At the base cost that's $162 million, fully loaded that's $202.5 million. They've said in press realeases already that they've sold ALL of the 2005 cars they had planned on making, plus who knows of the 2006 years worth of cars.

I mean really, if all it took was advertising in a car mag advertising wouldn't require a $2billion budget a year for GM alone I believe. Car mags only advertise to enthusiasts, GM is trying to branch into new areas with this car. Pull in people who would have never purchased a Roadster, or even thought of one ebfore. As can be seen from the poll on this site from our small group alone a lot of people weren't even looking to get a new car, but they're going to get the Solstice anyways.

I personally think this was the best type of marketting they could have done. Because it generated tremendous sales for the car, and also increased traffic to dealerships, and thier website by 1400%. Who knows how many people bought other Pontiac cars while at the dealerships looking at the SOlstice.

·
5,641 Posts
58MGA said:
Did it make sense for Pontiac to spend the money for its appearance on the Apprentice? (I've heard it may have cost up to 50 million). Anyone who picked up a Car Mag knew this car was coming and I believe anticipation was very high. Did cash strapped GM need the exposure for this car? I believe it was unnecessary.
Here is some info from the press about a recent suit involving Burnett (Apprentice Producer) and a product placement agency:

Story Link

"Industry observers estimate the going rate for placement deals tied to The Apprentice are in the $2-3.5 million range."

Now there were costs accociated with the commercial time, the brochure and the whole EOP. But no where near $50,000,000.

Even the Oprah G6 give away was listed in the press as only costing $7,500,000.

"Need" is a whole other story. To get the car where it is today in terms of exposure and orders, yes it "needed" something like the Apprentice exposure. Without it, the EOP program would have been the 200 or so people here who wanted the car.

There we go, brentil responding while I was stuck googling :lol:, but I did beat mceb to form a moderator sandwich. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think it was between 2-4 million (rumors of what people pay to get on the Apprentice).

They didn't really have to spend it now because they could certainly have sold out the 1000 themselves but I think PR wise it's good and that's what it's all about.

It generated a lot of press about how fast they sold them (41 mins) , how many other orders they got above the first 1000 (7000) and how many hits the website got etc, etc.

It got a lot of eyes to see the car and some of that will result in future sales next year and the year after.

When you think that 1 30 second SuperBowl commercial is 2 million I guess getting same for 45 minutes in prime time and all the extra after-press, isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
58MGA said:
Did it make sense for Pontiac to spend the money for its appearance on the Apprentice? ...
Well, even though I was aware of the car and liked it, I was not in the market at that instant and I had literally forgotten about it.

Result: 1 reminder on Apprentice = my order. I liked the idea of having an EOP car. But even though I didn't get it, this forum and all of the excellent interchange has caused me to fall for the car completely and I cannot wait to get it now!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
mceb said:
... When you think that 1 30 second SuperBowl commercial is 2 million I guess getting same for 45 minutes in prime time and all the extra after-press, isn't too bad.
:agree: The time to cost ratio for Pontiac (unfortunately) was a real bargain!! As they say "You can't buy that kind of exposure!" It is a sad state of our TV world that you can.

:mad: It makes me very agry to see this type of thing happening though because all it is going to do is increase. Soon you will get dialog on shows like "Wow, he was so cute, and he smelled just like that Act body spray and did you see his teeth? I'll bet he uses Crest!! I can't wait to go out with him in his new (insert car of week)!!" Blugggg
:rant: over

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
Soon you will get dialog on shows like "Wow, he was so cute, and he smelled just like that Act body spray and did you see his teeth? I'll bet he uses Crest!! I can't wait to go out with him in his new (insert car of week)!!" Blugggg
It's part of the way ad execs are fighting back against TiVos where people zap out the commercials. Only works if the product can be a part of the show without looking phony. Agree it probably doesn't fit in some shows and too much is a bad thing. Apprentice is perfect because it's business related to start with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the 2 to 3 million number is correct then it was a bargain, But I still believe Interest was greater then a couple hundred cars. I went into my Pontiac dealer 2 days before the Apprentice show to give them my check and I was 4th in line. Some how I moved up on the wait list when my order was put into the system.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It was the perfect launch for the EOP. how else would you have suggested launching the EOP other than using one of the top rated shows on TV? It was about publicity, but they turned it into an incredibly successful launch for the EOP. I think that launch was also a big part of the whole idea, not just to get the car's name out there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM got a ton of exposure, and ended up with a few thousand people trying to get a 1st 1000 car because of it. I bet a large percentage of them will end up with a regular allocation order. I'd say it was a success.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I still believe the whole idea of advertising the Solstice is not about selling the Solstice. It's about selling the Pontiac name and giving them a hot new image. Let's face it ... with that car's looks and price, they could probably sell all 20,000 just by putting up posters of the car in dealerships and never even advertising. They want to create a buzz about Pontiac that will drive sales of their other cars. In fact, I think it's the entire reason the Solstice exists. It's not a high-profit car, but it will certainly turn heads and even people who could never get by with a car like that will be stopping at dealers to try and catch a glimpse. At least for guys, that's how things work. Same as a beer commercial throwing a pic of a hot chick in a bikini on the screen. It'll get even the married guy's attention and even though he can't have the chick, he's now actually watched their commercial and the brand is in his mind.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SlySol said:
I still believe the whole idea of advertising the Solstice is not about selling the Solstice. It's about selling the Pontiac name and giving them a hot new image. Let's face it ... with that car's looks and price, they could probably sell all 20,000 just by putting up posters of the car in dealerships and never even advertising. They want to create a buzz about Pontiac that will drive sales of their other cars. In fact, I think it's the entire reason the Solstice exists. It's not a high-profit car, but it will certainly turn heads and even people who could never get by with a car like that will be stopping at dealers to try and catch a glimpse. At least for guys, that's how things work. Same as a beer commercial throwing a pic of a hot chick in a bikini on the screen. It'll get even the married guy's attention and even though he can't have the chick, he's now actually watched their commercial and the brand is in his mind.
:agree: In part, the Solstice is there to be a halo car for Pontiac, and to boost the image of the whole brand.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SlySol said:
Yup, that's the whole idea behind concept of the 'halo car'. Draws people in....that Solstice car is impratical but hey I'll drive this G6 thing instead (must be good because it's next to the Sosltice in the show room :lol: ).

·
Registered
460 Posts
I try to stay clear of as much avertizing as i can . But got to say my wife and I not realy being "car people" went out and bought one right after seeing it on the show, we would have never known it existed.

wana make me a deal need to make room for the new baby
2003 mustang coupeDescription: INEXPENSIVE BEAUTIFUL METALLIC SLIVER LOW LOW MILES, BABIED BY ME, EXCELLENT CONDITION INSIDE AND OUT. POWER SEAT, ANTI LOCK BRAKES, MACH AUDIO SYSTEM 6 DISC CD, POWER WINDOWS AND LOCKS, CRUISE CONTROL, TILT WHEEL, 3 YEARS LEFT ON BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTEE
Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Driver?s Seat, AM/FM Stereo Radio, Multi-Disk CD Changer, Alloy Wheels, Rear Spoiler, Gauge Cluster, Clock, Trip Odometer, Tachometer, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Interval Wipers, Rear Defroster, Dual Air Bags, Console, Carpeting, Vanity Mirror, Power Mirrors, CUP Holder, Front Bucket Seats, Reclining Seats, Cloth Upholstery, Center Arm Rest, MAP Lights, Inside Hood Release, Anti-Lock Braking System, Traction Assistance/Control, NEVER DRIVEN IN SNOW A BARGAIN AT ONLY 12,150 MILES ADULT DRIVEN

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I was all set up for the EOP experience. Ended up with just a "Waitlist" 'cuz all the other yahoos that watched that silly show stole my car! :brentil: I'd have much rather GM had spent a lot less money on a product placement on Animal Planet's live coverage of the Enid, Oklahoma's Dog, Cat and Bird Show!

Did GM get their money's worth? Didn't the number of members on this forum triple in just a few hours after the show? I know we saw a record number of active viewers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I knew about the Solstice from its first auto show appearance, but frankly it fell off my radar. When I saw it on The Trump Show my interest was rekindled, and that's when I found this forum.

Did Pontiac get it's money's worth? I'd say so.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
The fact that the first 1000 went in under 45 minutes pretty much tells the story. Even if you discount all of the hardcore Solstice followers, the first 100 and the hugh wait list tells the story. They got their money's worth and some.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
"Oh the one from the Apprentice?"

The greatest real world mark for success to me is the fact that when I talk to someone about the car I ordered 9 times out of 10 Solstice means nothing to them. However, when I say "You know the car from the Apprentice." then I get a response... "Oh. that one, nice looking car." then of course, "When do you get it?"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts