Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked everyone a week ago, which source in the fuse box was "hot" all the time. Well, I found a fuse adaptor and taped into the trunk release fuse. It's a double fused adaptor so the trunk release keeps its 40A and the second fuse is a 5A for my lighting. I realize I will probably lose some respect and even be called "ricey"... But I tried to do this as conservative and classy as possible. I'm still not done. This is all just the first stage. I plan on doing more to give it that GOHSTLY....err.... GHOSTLY appearance. It will only be for shows...nothing else. I wanted lighting in the grill because I plan on upgrading the intercooler very soon...and wanted to show it off during evening cruises and shows.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Ehhhh... it looks good - I find nothing wrong with it other than can you get a more even light distribution through the grill in front? If you can I'd suggest getting the backlighting into the fog lamp/TS areas also.

Other than that I have nothing to offer. lol! Looks good - keep going as far as you want to go with it!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ehhhh... it looks good - I find nothing wrong with it other than can you get a more even light distribution through the grill in front? If you can I'd suggest getting the backlighting into the fog lamp/TS areas also.!
The "box" black area up top is the Styrofoam absorber for the bumper, so I will have that black square up there. :( I was going to do the fog light areas, but the only open portion behind them is circular and about 4" in diameter. It's the air tunnel for the brakes. So it would have looked a little funny. I am going to put lighting in the lower grill area. Keep in mind that this matches my WR and my door sills. I'm still looking for license plate lights and interior lighting I can do. I thought about getting the wheel lights and wheel well lighting package too, but the wheel lights look stupid when your just sitting still. It would take some real hard work to hide them as they basically line your brake rotor.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Though it's not my style, I really like the fact that it's white light, rather than the blue or other garish colors that the 'real' ricers do.

Go for it!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Though it's not my style, I really like the fact that it's white light, rather than the blue or other garish colors that the 'real' ricers do.

Go for it!
Like I said originally, I'm anal about things matching first. So I wanted the same white color that I had for my WR lighting. Secondly, I wanted a "classy" look. Or as classy as undercar lighting could be. Thirdly, after thinking about it (I originally wanted a red WR...whew!! Good thing I didn't go that way!!) I wanted the car to look ghostly.... or GOHSTLY, like my plate (it's a double entendre, ghostly...go hastly....because GHOSTLY was taken already! :banghead: ). Thus the white...

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I think it looks good. I've been considering adding lights behind the grilles but that big foam brick drives me crazy and seems like it would block most of the light. (It would drive me crazy if the light wasn't distributed evenly around the grill...:willy:)

·
Registered
5,430 Posts

Go for it!
:agree:

Or as I told my wife many years ago regarding paint schemes, lettering, etc:

"I don't want to drive a circus wagon, I want it to look sharp, not an ungodly combination of colors and letters."

·
Registered
24 Posts
The "box" black area up top is the Styrofoam absorber for the bumper, so I will have that black square up there. :( I was going to do the fog light areas, but the only open portion behind them is circular and about 4" in diameter. It's the air tunnel for the brakes. So it would have looked a little funny. I am going to put lighting in the lower grill area. Keep in mind that this matches my WR and my door sills. I'm still looking for license plate lights and interior lighting I can do. I thought about getting the wheel lights and wheel well lighting package too, but the wheel lights look stupid when your just sitting still. It would take some real hard work to hide them as they basically line your brake rotor.
I see you were looking for interior lighting. This is what I've done last winter.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/footwell-leds-dim-ip-panel-73794/

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep...was going to do something similar but in white. I might even go as far as to put them behind the seats as well....just to give that appearance I'm looking for.... Of course it will be white! ;)

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
What type of lights (bars?) and where did you mount the grill lights?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What type of lights (bars?) and where did you mount the grill lights?
I used Plasmaglow Grille lighting kit. I used the 4 strip kit. They are about 11” long each and waterproof. For the under car, I used the Plasmaglow Undercar lights as well. These are nice because they have a gel coating over them so water and debris don’t damage them. As far as mounting, I just used 3M double sided tape. When I started this, they were only going to be on the car for the summer months….but now that I’ve done this major undertaking, I think I will leave them….LOL. Even the undercar lights were mounted with 3M tape. You can view the lights at Carid, but because of the lack of customer service and the items never being in stock with them, I went through ebay to buy them (they were cheaper too!). I learned a lot about LEDs doing this project. There are 3 different types of LEDs. Each with a varying level of output.

I wired them in and put switches under the dash so I could access them while in the car. I didn’t want to have to pop the hood every time I wanted to turn them on/off. I drilled out little holes for the switches in a real inconspicuous place. For the power source, I bought a double fuse adaptor. I run it off the trunk release fuse so it has constant power. The fuse adaptor is nice because it keeps the circuits separate. The lower fuse is still the 40A trunk fuse and the upper is the 5A light fuse. I’m going out of town for a long weekend, but I will post pics on Monday when I get back as to what I’m talking about if you’re interested. I ran the lights just inside of the grill. There is a lip that I attached them too with the 3M tape.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like it. And I am not a big fan of car lighting.

However I am in the process of going full up ricer for the Nationals night car show. Cant have too many lights!!
You have to post pics!

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
You have to post pics!
I will . . . after the night time car show at the Nationals. Until then everything is competition sensitive.:devil::willy::devil::willy::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
I will offer this up . . . draw your own conclusions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-X2BQi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLN5VF7Qi_w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DOultvhaTY oSI

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally some better pics....

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Well if the weather is nice on saturday goingb tobput my new Pontiac sills on . Then post a coup;e pictures .

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
That's sharp, Ghost. I might have to play with some of those on our Sol this winter. Deep purple.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
C/W ; Deep Purple they are Baltimore Raven colors . We have Fans everywhere :thumbs: :cool: :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Doesn't he have a sister sing that song ? ( Ezzie Ho }

1 - 20 of 46 Posts