Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM is selling all cars except the Corvette and Hummer at GM employee discounts. So it sounds like that would include the Solstice. Talk about sticker shock! OUCH!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As nyca said, the Solstice is a 2006 MY vehicle. If you read any of the information about the current GM incentive is that it applies to all 2005 MY cars (except the Corvette) and you "must take delivery by July 5th, 2005."

·
5,600 Posts
Some cars are discounted more than others. There are no rebates on popular models and large rebates on unpopular motels. You can get a combined $9,000 off a Blazer with this program & rebates. But who wants a Blazer?

The GTO is selling well and is barely discounted with no rebates. A lot of people are probably looking at the current discount and thinking either, "I could have done much better last year," or "I can do better this winter".

The best thing about this promotion is that you can find a GM you like, get it at a more than fair price and not have to negotiate over it. If there was any thing GM had to offer that I was really interested in, I'd be compelled. But the size of the offer is tepid, just as my interest in most GM products.

·
5,600 Posts
Going off topic here, but I am sitting here looking at a picture of the rear 3/4 view of an Infiniti G35. I like this car a lot (it is about the same size and performance as a Ford Mustang, with more refinement and a higher price).

I am looking at this picture and I am thinking, is there ANY reason in the world this car shouldn't have been a Buick or Pontiac?

The G35 would have been perfect as a Buick or Pontiac sports coupe. I look at this employee pricing promotion. I look at the entire Buick and Pontiac lineup and there is not one single solitary RWD sports coupe in the entire line-up except the GTO, which I am not interested in because IMHO it is too powerful, too heavy and too ungainly looking.

Man, I'm bummed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was just at Pontiac home page, where is the Solstice? It is not under "upcoming vehicles." I did not want to start a new thread just for a question. I am pretty sure I was on the right page.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ordered mine with all available options...dealer said about $24,500.00.

·
Registered
281 Posts
jimbo said:
The G35 would have been perfect as a Buick or Pontiac sports coupe....I look at the entire Buick and Pontiac lineup and there is not one single solitary RWD sports coupe in the entire line-up except the GTO, which I am not interested in because IMHO it is too powerful, too heavy and too ungainly looking.
Somebody at GM really, really screwed up killing off the F-body. Ford is selling about a billion McStangs to Joe and Jane Public. Now, I like the McStang, but there's just too many of them out there on the road, and I wish there were more choices out there, since I'm looking for a replacement for my 1994 Camaro.

G35 or its cheaper Nissan brother, the 350Z seem to be a compelling choice, but there's a class action lawsuit against Nissan. The 350Z eats front tires, and it seems like the G35 should have the same problem, too.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
jimbo said:
Some cars are discounted more than others. There are no rebates on popular models and large rebates on unpopular motels. You can get a combined $9,000 off a Blazer with this program & rebates. But who wants a Blazer?

The GTO is selling well and is barely discounted with no rebates. A lot of people are probably looking at the current discount and thinking either, "I could have done much better last year," or "I can do better this winter".

The best thing about this promotion is that you can find a GM you like, get it at a more than fair price and not have to negotiate over it. If there was any thing GM had to offer that I was really interested in, I'd be compelled. But the size of the offer is tepid, just as my interest in most GM products.
I believe the reason you're seeing the discrepency is the way the cars are priced in the first place and the way Employee Discount works. It removes a lot of the marup over the cost of producing the car. So vehicles with more markup get larger discounts. SUV's have massive markup on them due to them being the current cash-cows for most lines. The GTO is an imported car with a much smaller markup I believe due to it costing more to make and import. Therefore the discount on it is much less.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Batman said:
Somebody at GM really, really screwed up killing off the F-body. Ford is selling about a billion McStangs to Joe and Jane Public. Now, I like the McStang, but there's just too many of them out there on the road, and I wish there were more choices out there, since I'm looking for a replacement for my 1994 Camaro.
I actually believe the F-body cars were on the way out before GM axed them. If I remember correctly I think I remember seeing sales information showing both the Camaro and the Firebird having declining sales. The line badly needed a redesign, and GM dind't have one in the pipe. Especially since Zeta has been axed now.

·
Registered
281 Posts
brentil said:
I actually believe the F-body cars were on the way out before GM axed them. If I remember correctly I think I remember seeing sales information showing both the Camaro and the Firebird having declining sales. The line badly needed a redesign, and GM dind't have one in the pipe. Especially since Zeta has been axed now.
Yeah, the McStang always trounced the F-body sales numbers. The last F-body always beat the McStang in magazine head-to-head magazine comparos, from the V6 trim levels to the top-of-the-line V8 versions.

There's something magic in the Mustang name, like Harley-Davidson, and Corvette...no matter the competition, these names always stand above it seems. I guess a little history helps, too.

But back on topic, from reading some other car forums, GMS ain't the best deal out there, dealers were offering below GMS for the slowest moving models. I wonder how much GM's going to raise the price of the Solstice for the next model year.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interestingly, GM is finally talking about lowering sticker prices back down to a point closer to their car's actual transaction prices, and doing away with the big rebates! They claim they would still leave them a little high so they would still be able to offer the incentives as a carrot, but feel their cars will appear to have more value if they are priced where they should be.

This GMS deal could be one of the last big GM incentive pushes if they do slash MSRP's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
kevbo1121

just wondered, gm card limitations on down payment at dealer and any other gm card restrictions? paid dealer list for everything no breaks or deals! :(

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Specs are nearly identical: weight, mileage.... Is it really styling you don't like?

jimbo said:
The G35 would have been perfect as a Buick or Pontiac sports coupe. I look at this employee pricing promotion. I look at the entire Buick and Pontiac lineup and there is not one single solitary RWD sports coupe in the entire line-up except the GTO, which I am not interested in because IMHO it is too powerful, too heavy and too ungainly looking.
I'm shocked! That's the first time I've ever heard an automobile enthusiast say that a vehicle has too much power. To me, that extra power means that you have to feather the throttle more as you come out of the corners, rather than being able to go to WOT [wide open throttle] AT the apex.... Haven driven a very heavy machine with lots of power, I found that it was nice to have that power on demand, and that it taught me good habits for not running at WOT all the time.

Now, if it's gas mileage versus maximum power tradeoff, that might make more sense, but even the 400 HP Vette gets 28 on the HWY. Further, the numbers for the GTO and the Infinity are nearly identical for fuel economy:
  • 17/25 GTO
  • 19/26 G35
With regard to the vehicle weight, they're very close as well:
  • 3725 lbs GTO
  • 3512 lbs G35
When you look at the corner weights, that would be about 50 lbs more on each tire, and the difference is a scant 5.7%.

Since the mileage, and weight are nearly identical, your statement must mean that you like the styling of the G35 better, and are looking for other reasons to rank it higher. Another possibility is that you have test driven both cars, and you liked the handling better in one versus another... Tastes vary, some folks will cry foul with amazingly responsive turn-in claiming, "it's twitchy!" and others will say, "It rides so rough!" in response to a performance oriented stiffer suspension. The point is that tastes vary, and you cannot please everyone.

With regard to the styling, I'll give you that one hands down. The GTO is very plain. We've talked about that in the GMS thread.... Since you were looking at the rear styling when you opened your post and used the word ungainly at the end, I'd say it was styling rather than specifications which drew you in.

Again, my solution to more power is more restraint and discipline on the force applied to the right pedal. However given a power advantage, when I drove my high power machine, I found that I could maneuver in traffic in the forward direction in addition to the standard three directions of left, right, and back.

So, what is it that you really don't like about the GTO? If it's styling, then we are having a vigorous agreement. ;)

·
5,600 Posts
The Batman said:
Yeah, the McStang always trounced the F-body sales numbers. The last F-body always beat the McStang in magazine head-to-head magazine comparos, from the V6 trim levels to the top-of-the-line V8 versions.

There's something magic in the Mustang name, like Harley-Davidson, and Corvette...no matter the competition, these names always stand above it seems. I guess a little history helps, too.
IMHO, not the Mustang name that made it sell more than the Camaro. Camaro has the name! But the Camaro was bigger, heavier and more expensive. ESPECIALLY more expensive. A compact re-design priced to meet Mustang prices, and you would have seen the Camaro equal or exceed Mustang sales.

It is product, product, product. That is why the mid-70s Camaro sales trounced over the mid-70s Mustangs. In 77-78 Camaro sold 1/2 million units to Mustangs 350,000 and that does not include another 150,000 in Firebird sales.

The best product at the best price usually wins. The Camaro was a better performance product, but maybe not the better all-around product and certainly was not the best price.

A new retro Camaro priced right would sell well. Here is the problem, though. The reason for the huge Mustang sales is, once again, they are the only game in town. Re-introduce the Camaro and they might each sell half as many units. So a new Camaro would not appear as successful as the current Mustang.

The Mustang phenomenon is due to a great product, a good price, and a complete lack of competition in its segment.

·
5,600 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
I'm shocked! That's the first time I've ever heard an automobile enthusiast say that a vehicle has too much power.

So, what is it that you really don't like about the GTO? If it's styling, then we are having a vigorous agreement. ;)
By "too much power" I only meant with regard to gas prices and insurance costs. From a driving perspective, I would welcome the reserve power. If the LS2 had some magic DoD that gave it better mileage, that would be a big part of the cost for the GTO.

That said, you brought up some GREAT points. I don't think the GTO's real world mileage would be as good as it's EPA ratings. I also didn't realize the car's weights were so similar. I guess I just have a top end of 3500 lbs for the MAX weight of a performance car. Agreed the GTO's handling is pretty darn good for a car of its size. But weight can be the enemy of crisp handling, so anything over 3500 lbs (3300 even!) just is a mental problem for me.

The GTO's styling is actually the least of my worries. When I bought my Harley, I turned down the better looking Softail for a better touring bike in the Road King. The view I would see most often is the dash board, and frankly the GTO interior is gorgeous, so that goes a long way to offset the bland sleeper exterior.

Also, the GTO seems to have low insurance rates for such a powerful car. A Mustang GT would cost me $2,000 per year in San Francisco, while the 400 HP GTO would only cost me $1,500. I think that is a steal!

So thanks for the great points in your post.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts