Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a thread somewhere in relation to this but needless to say I can't find it on the new and improved site ! Anyway there are 4 1/18 scale cars listed these are the larger ones about 9 inches long plus some Matchbox coupes .These things are getting harder to find and the prices reflect that , for you new members that want a replica of your car you might want to check them out .

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I know there is a thread somewhere in relation to this but needless to say I can't find it on the new and improved site ! Anyway there are 4 1/18 scale cars listed these are the larger ones about 9 inches long plus some Matchbox coupes .These things are getting harder to find and the prices reflect that , for you new members that want a replica of your car you might want to check them out .
I have 3 or 4 sets of the 5 coupes that Matchbox made. I tried to sell a set last year, but got no takers. There were 3 others made and sold in blister packs of 5. But I've never pursued those as 1 of the packs is extremely rare and extremely tough to find. I found that blister pack about 3 years ago and the guy wanted $500 for it. Haven't seen that pack come up for sale since.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have one of my car 1;24 i think, never been outa the box.Ive been watching for another that can come out of the box...but I aint paying those kinda prices for a"toy"..of coarse I probably have around 500 or so still in the packagaing that Ive bought over the past 30 or so.... years for very little, but that was before "stupid" people started paying any price for "toys" and bragging how bad they got screwed..., thus telling the companys&horders to buy up in large lots and drive the $$$ even higher.. kinda like the price of a sneeker with some funkey color or a name on it...and morons paying hundrads or thousands for the dam sneeker,,,,just plain stupid and useless.waste of$$ but I do see how many people seem to have a lot of extra $$$ these days. Im not one of them.But my home, cars,parts,motorcycle,4 wheeler,machines,tools&tooling,shop& everything else is mine,not a banks.all paid for by me&the wife. we owe power&water bills.and of coarse food. it cost about 3 cents to make a match box car..... probably $1.00 for the bigger 1:24 size stuff.possibly $2. due to the less volume sold. I wonder what happens when a mini storage sold off at storage wars has 20000 or more new horded units does to the market.....possibly nothing there are losts of people willing to pay to much for anything. choose wizely, you never know when you may just need some of that toy money. sorry for the rant& venting....I wish I could drive my car....

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
TBH, most name brand cars that Matchbox/Hot Wheels makes give them little to no profit. Thus the reason their "unnammed" in-house designed cars are so prevalent. The most costly cars to make are Mercedes Benz because of the licensing they have to pay Mercedes Benz. They actually make only like 2 or 3 cents on every Mercedes Benz produced because there are also production limits set in the contracts. IMSMC, Mercedes Benz says only 30k units can be made per model and color. So that's why you'll see 6 or 7 different colors for the same Mercedes model, while a GM car might only have 2 colors. In 2016-2018 they lost the license to produce MB and the ones on the market skyrocketed because it looked as though Mattel wasn't going to agree to a new contract with them. I remember looking at a Matchbox MB SL55 that was "cheap" at $75. (Mattel now owns both Hot Wheels and Matchbox...they acquired Matchbox 2 years ago and promised to make cross-over vehicles so both name brands would have the same cars, but I've yet to really run into any). I know these things because I've always been a casual collector, but I worked with a guy that was a serious collector. He taught me all of the licensing stuff and told me to stock up on the Mercedes stuff about 3 months before it increased because he knew the negotiations weren't going well. He had his collection valued and was worth over $500k. His 3 car garage was FULL of HW and Matchbox stuff. He would take a 3 hour lunch every Tuesday and go to 3 different Walmarts and 2 Targets to go through their freshly stocked HotWheels stuff and would come back with a box or 2 of stuff. He drooled and offered me $1k for a 1970s HW electric pusher car wash that still worked and was in excellent shape. I told him no because that's the one toy from my childhood that brought me great joy.

Sorry for the hijack... I do have a 1/18th scale, painted to match my car with stripes and all.....

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Here's my 1/18th and my Matchbox cars....

Reactions: easyryderca
1 - 6 of 6 Posts