Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Differential Rebuild/Replace

I believe I am having some differential trouble. It is an 06, and from what I understand they have known differential issues. However, mine is not a whining noise that most complain about. It is more of a grinding and vibration, but only under certain conditions...for example cruising at ~2900 rpm and decelerating at ~2-2500 rpm. It is mainly noticeable in 3rd and 4th. I thought it was the clutch ... So I replaced that, but the noise is still there. However, the clutch did need replaced anyway. The stage 2 SC wore it down. What options are theoptions to repair/replace/upgrade the diff? With it being a known issue, would there be a warranty or recall repair to pursue through GM?

1) REPAIR - From what I understand rebuild kits are not available, but I believe some have had theirs rebuilt. Are rebuilds possible?
2) REPLACE - Will only a unit from an 06 fit? I know the torque bars started in 07.
3) UPGRADE - Are there any upgrades that be done to prevent future issues?

Lots of questions, but I trust the forum much more than I do my GM dealer. Ha! Thanks to all for any guidance!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I tried that. I drained and filled with the royal purple stuff that has the additive already mixed in. It still makes the noise.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
I'd be surprised if rebuild kits are not available for differentials. They still are available fro 50 year old diffs.
I haven't been looking, but I have never heard of a rebuild kit for these diffs. I have only heard about diffs for our Kappas being replaced, never heard rebuilt.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Some people can rebuild anything!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here. I have not been able to locate a rebuild kit for the bearings, shims, clutch pack, etc ....

It is an early '06. Wasn't there something with these being recalled? That is for the diff unit and not just the diff seal?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
Same here. I have not been able to locate a rebuild kit for the bearings, shims, clutch pack, etc ....

It is an early '06. Wasn't there something with these being recalled? That is for the diff unit and not just the diff seal?
The diff has never had a recall, the only recall was for the pinion seal. Many of us with early '06s got the diff replaced, but it was under the power train warrantee.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The seals on my 2009 GXP were replaced early on. If that is the only issue it can be done. But the noise makes it seem like there is collatoral damage.

Just noticed tonight that the dang thing is leaking again at 47000. Argh!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I guess I have come to the conclusion that mine will need replaced. It is an '06 N/A with the manual...what donor cars should I be looking at? Would a newer differential with the torque bar still fit? I did read that the autos and manuals are different ratios?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
So, I guess I have come to the conclusion that mine will need replaced. It is an '06 N/A with the manual...what donor cars should I be looking at? Would a newer differential with the torque bar still fit? I did read that the autos and manuals are different ratios?
1. A differential with the torque bar will not fit, but there is a good chance that the front mount for the diff could be swapped between the diffs.

2. Autos and manuals have the same ratios. NAs and GXPs have different ratios.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I am pretty much looking for an 06 manual diff only? That is unless the mount bar will attach?

Just looking for clarification. I would hate to drop $500 on a diff that doesn't fit XD!

Again, thanks to all for the input.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
The diff on the top is from a 2006, the bottom one is from a 2007 manual, pre-torque arm. Both will fit.

I'm pretty sure a diff from any automatic does not have the torque arm mounting and will fit.

You may want to contact Dave at DDMWorks or Dave at Performance Autowerks (both supporting vendors of this forum) for clarification, as I'm just repeating what I have heard.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having considered the options, I am going to rebuild the existing differential and install a quaife unit in place of the stock LSD. I will keep ya'll posted on how it goes XD

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi there!

My '06 has the early '07 diff in it. I assume (!) with the previous owner it had the well-known leak, and like many on this board, was fixed but the dealer left out the posi-specific fluid additive, and it died. So, replacement. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened on this board.

Where are you getting the Quaife?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just changed the diff fluid and this is after I had the pinion seal recall done, actually 25-30k after. The fluid was still amber, there was no debris on the fill plug, and some greasy grey deposit on the fill plug. I measured about 1/2 quart coming out which is low. There is not a drop leaking from the pinion seal, no wonder. I added the Amsoil synthetic and Slip Lock additive. Three figure eights to get it worked in and the chatter is gone.
10mm hex key to remove the drain and the filler plug which is on the driver side of the diff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts