Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
Yes.

The 2.0 and 2.4 use different ratios, though.

Limited slip was an option for the 2.4 but standard for the 2.0.

There are two different housing designs, one with an integral front mount and the other with a bolt-on.
The bolt-on stayle was used for the reaction arm that connects the axle to the transmission on all 2.0s and later 2.4s.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
The ratios are different for manual and automatic.

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
The ratios are different for manual and automatic.
According to the application data I have from Getrag, the 2.4 uses a 3.91:1 and the 2.0 uses a 3.73:1, but there is no mention of different ratios for the automatic.

What are the differences for auto vs manual?

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
The automatic if my memory serves me right are in the 3.44 or 3.23, there should be info on the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Here is the info for the automatic.
[TD]
[TD]Drivetrain

Gearbox:GM 5L50-E
Transmission type:automatic
Number of gears:5
Gear ratios (overall):
I3.42 (12.76)
II2.22 (8.28)
III1.6 (5.97)
IV1 (3.73)
V0.75 (2.8)
VI ()
VII ()
VIII ()
IX ()
X ()
R3.03
Speed range
(max speed on gears,
top gear value theor.):(km/h/mph)
I:64 / 40
II:98 / 61
III:136 / 85
IV:217 / 135
V:290 / 180
VI: /
VII: /
VIII: /
IX: /
X: /
1000rpm speed:(km/h/mph)
I:10 / 6.2
II:15.4 / 9.6
III:21.4 / 13.3
IV:34.2 / 21.3
V:45.7 / 28.4
VI: /
VII: /
VIII: /
IX: /
X: /
Torque converter factor:
Final drive ratio std:3.73
optional:
Front brakes:disc ventilated
297 mm / 11.7 in
Rear brakes:disc solid
277 mm / 10.9 in
Standard tires:245/45 R 18 96W
[/TD]
[/TD]

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
If that table is for a GXP, the manual and automatic have the same axle ratio but not the same first gear ratio.

The 3.42 in that table is the transmission's first gear ratio, and the manual has a 3.75. The final drive (AKA differential) ratio for both is 3.73.

·
Registered
498 Posts
from what ive read, there are 2 different houseings and 2 different ratios and 2 different ring gear carriers(lsd or open carrier) thus 6 different rears avaliable, unless you want to count the cts/sts diff with the 3.42 or 3.23 ratios witch would be suited for V6/v8 cars for better millage.there was also 3.73&3.91 for the caddilacks. if any body out there has a lsd(g80) take out diff for the manual trans that they replaced I may be intrested in it if the price is right. if I get a junk yard unit I will end up tearing it appart any way and reworking it. witch I may end up doing so i can have 1 ready to go into my car for no down time swapout...some day. I wish there was some info about these rears available.( rebuild info& parts info)

·
Registered
498 Posts
just wondering, has any body hear pulled apart the difs with massive backlash?( the big time clunkers) and found out whats going on in them? side cover deflection? bearing dieing? pinion sinking? and does any body know what the 2nd desigine diff is? what was the change?? I know about the 2 different mounts but there is also different seal like they may of increased the pinion bearing dia. or was just the seal od just changed? the 07 g80 diff I ordered arived.....06 with automatic style mount, not the 07 manual diff with 4 bolt mount I was told was comming...not happy, it may just have to go back. but it has way less back lash than mine does, but also says 3500 miles...witch I know aint right with all the oil funked up at the vent breather. dam i wish there was some good info on these darn things.( as in official manual type stuff & ways to identify them&the changes)

·
Registered
498 Posts
well the new( used) unit for torquelink arived today!!!( the 3rd rear end this week) G80, almost no back lash!! and....373 ratio!!! well I need the 391 ratio for the tq link, wtf send me 3 rong rear ends from cali...2nd day air.... how stupid can you be. I already told then this was the rong ratio... I told them not a auto ,not a 2006..I just dont get it. so.. how much is this worth? has any body hear put the 373 rear in the base car and how did it work out? should I send it back or keep it and sell and find the right one? a almost $500 rear end laying around isant the best way to save $$ and the $$ is starting to run thin.

·
Registered
978 Posts
well the new( used) unit for torquelink arived today!!!( the 3rd rear end this week) G80, almost no back lash!! and....373 ratio!!! well I need the 391 ratio for the tq link, wtf send me 3 rong rear ends from cali...2nd day air.... how stupid can you be. I already told then this was the rong ratio... I told them not a auto ,not a 2006..I just dont get it. so.. how much is this worth? has any body hear put the 373 rear in the base car and how did it work out? should I send it back or keep it and sell and find the right one? a almost $500 rear end laying around isant the best way to save $$ and the $$ is starting to run thin.
use the rear end ratio 'rule of thumb'.... ideally the transmission 1st gear ratio times the rear end ratio should be 10 or more. i don't know what your 1st gear ratio is, you'll have to do the math

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,727 Posts
If you put the 3.73 in you will effectively change 1st gear to be about half way to second. For racing off the line, not so good, but through the gears it won't change much. In fifth you will take about 500 RPM off of your engine speed at cruise.

·
Registered
498 Posts
it would be the same as gxp but 3rd different. Im still thinking weather to keep it or send it back. I need to find out who can reprogram the speedo and how much to do so.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Im gonna stick it in there, I pulled the ring gear assy out yesterday to inspect...it's gonna need a good amount of deburring on both ring&pinion to be up to my stds. possibly the worst finished gears Ive ever seen ( sharp jagged edges from manufacturing, but pattern looks fine except for runs off the sharp edges... also the vent & its internal cover/baffle are situated rong/ not optimum for breathing and not leeking...possibly part of the gear lube leek issue. Ill add a small relief to it so it dont pile up fluid there when spinning. perhaps later units had a different baffle. .no chunks or metal fragments so thats good, but a good amount of sand......gotta love wrecking yard's. hopefuly Ill have it in by march.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Im trying to buy some specfic tools for these rear ends...
no luck yet, the one I bought for the cts/sts....dosent fit this or the sts...although kent more says it do..so ill sourse a bigger one and remachine it to fit!!!i love wasting $$ on stuff that isant right. it's almost 3/4" too small.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts