Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
This certainly made my decision where to buy my high flow cat from much easier. I was on the fence before but I will now be going with Solo.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pick up a telephone and call them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have called but it should not have come to this i gotta say my fault for not really researching this company properly!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here's a PERSONAL example of one of my many negative experiences with Performance Autowerks and Dave Gilbert...

Dave bought a car from me awhile back, an '07 Sky Redline that they're making into a shop track car.

We agreed at a price, he said no problem, I'll send you a check. I said I'd get the car ready to ship. I had the car ready to ship in a matter of a day or two. The car carrier he scheduled showed up a week or so later and I helped them load up the car.

Still no check.

I told him I was being pretty trusting sending him a car without being paid for it. That's just the kind of guy I am.

The car arrived at his shop about a week later. Still no check. I called up and asked if he'd received the car, and he said he did. Over the next few WEEKS I bugged him about paying for the car he already had in his possession. Many times I was told "check's going out this week". It took a few MONTHS to finally get him to pay me for the car.

Anyone want more PERSONAL experiences?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Here's a PERSONAL example of one of my many negative experiences with Performance Autowerks and Dave Gilbert...

Dave bought a car from me awhile back, an '07 Sky Redline that they're making into a shop track car.

We agreed at a price, he said no problem, I'll send you a check. I said I'd get the car ready to ship. I had the car ready to ship in a matter of a day or two. The car carrier he scheduled showed up a week or so later and I helped them load up the car.

Still no check.

I told him I was being pretty trusting sending him a car without being paid for it. That's just the kind of guy I am.

The car arrived at his shop about a week later. Still no check. I called up and asked if he'd received the car, and he said he did. Over the next few WEEKS I bugged him about paying for the car he already had in his possession. Many times I was told "check's going out this week". It took a few MONTHS to finally get him to pay me for the car.

Anyone want more PERSONAL experiences?
WOW, that IS bad business practice. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't really understand why your posts are being deleted GM. If someone is less than trustworthy, I would think that it would be to everyone's advantage for that to be widely known so no one else has to have the headaches. Even if they delete your posts, I am thankful for your heads up. It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
No it was not solved and you can't leave voicemail with them! so unprofessional!
Andre,

I never received a voicemail here that you called otherwise I certainly would have called you back regarding your order. Also, I did not get any e-mail from you until today at 12:37pm central time so you posted this before I had any contact from you what so ever regarding your order???

As I stated in my reply to you this afternoon the 2 items have already shipped and should be there within the next day or 2 but I will be more than happy to credit you back for the high flow cat which is still in the build que.

Again if anyone ever has any issues with us or our products please feel free to call us at 815-439-4547 or e-mail me at [email protected] and we will address them as best we possibly can!

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I have never had any issues with Dave or his company Pwerks.

The items I have bought from them are in the sig below...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't really understand why your posts are being deleted GM. If someone is less than trustworthy, I would think that it would be to everyone's advantage for that to be widely known so no one else has to have the headaches. Even if they delete your posts, I am thankful for your heads up. It is much appreciated.
THANK YOU!!! This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do.

I have my deleted posts saved if anyone would like to see them. I have no secrets. Just shoot me a PM.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Well, I haven't used "Performance autowerks" (PAW is a parts shop) before but I have learned that some of these smaller businesses get overloaded during the holidays and may take a while to catch up and respond. I bought some heads from Skip White about a year ago and had a problem. I left them several emails but got no response. About a week or so, I decided to call them. Once I explained my problem, the clerk transferred me to the owner. He listened to everything I had to say, explained to me they were very busy, gave me a sincere apology, took down my info and said the correct parts were being over nighted along with a free set of gaskets. I asked how he wanted me to return the wrong parts and he told me to keep them, sell them, do whatever and gave me his cell phone number and asked me to call him if I have further problems or to let me know that they fit and worked as expected. So, when in doubt, pick up the phone.

As for GM's posts being deleted, I don't know him but was fortunate to stumble upon the V8 discussion a while back and I can't imagine why anyone would delete one of your posts, much less ban you:) ha ha. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding though. You have to keep a very open mind when reading emails. what you read isn't always what they intended to say.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So, when in doubt, pick up the phone.
Again my PERSONAL experience...

I've called Werks many, many times over the last few years. Actually getting a hold of anyone that will answer the phone and answer questions honestly or accurately isn't as easy as it sounds.

Just saw your edit TX. Again if you'd like to see the message I got from an admin here, feel free to PM me. This ALL needs to be kept out in the open.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Part of the challenge we all share is that words written on line tend to stay there forever. Even an error can be very damaging to a small business for a very long time.

My experience with small venders, which includes just about all of them on or written about in this forum and the Sky forum, is that they are very small shops, often with one or two employees who have to do everything. And what makes them technically good enough to design performance parts that we want to buy does not necessarily make them great at all phases of running a business.

In my experience over the past many years working with our venders has been quite positive. They have all delivered in the end, not one transaction has resulted in a total failure to deliver.

In my experience, having expectations for responsiveness of a small business like our venders that matches a much larger company is unrealistic. If you want the kind of niche, custom products that our venders provide, then you have to cut them some slack. OVER communicate with them. Expect that they will need a lot of TLC to get what you want in a reasonable time at a reasonable cost.

My son runs a gaming store which he started with almost no money, has worked to build basically single handed for 14 years. He has to dedicate 14 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week to keep it growing, all with a hope that maybe in another 10 years he will make a good living out of the business. He now has 6 employees and carries the responsibility for them and their famlies. Its a big responsibilty and requries a TON of work.

I went shopping for a painter in 07 and found a friend. I now get an "insiders view" of his body and paint business. I tell you, I would NEVER sign up to do what he has done for the past 10 years. And he makes peanuts. He is worried about making payroll every week. He is threatened with a lawsuit at least once a month. One of his big competitors in town has 4 shops with about 50 employees and has 3 lawyers on staff full time to deal with all the lawsuits they get from disgruntled customers.

My experience with PAW has been positive. I have not bought a lot of product from them, but I have observed them in action on many occasions, met Dave at two nationals and consider him an acquaintence if not a friend. I believe that he gets up every morning and wants to make all his customers happy so they will come back and buy more product from him and help him grow the business.

What works best for me in dealing with our family of supporting venders is to establish a relationship with them and to over communicate with them. And to not have expectations that exceed their ability as a tiny shop to deliver.

I can't speak to GMs experience. Only he and Dave can do so.

I belive that GM tech is a nice guy with a lot of experience who speaks with a lot of volumn when he is forced to communicate only in written words on a forum. I have observed that he has a lot of knowledge that he has shared and that he has high emotions and wants to help.

I also find it unfortunate that the combination of his caring ways and the way his written communications have come across have resulted in his being silenced in other forums. I think he has a lot to give and its up to us to modulate how we receive what he shares so we take the good away with us.

:grouphug:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks Rob, I for one appreciate the time you took to post that. I also respect everything you said. I especially like the part about my "volume". Lol. It really bugs me when I say something and then I get asked the same question or a comment is made showing that what I said was clearly not read. THAT'S (lol) why I type in caps so much, to try to get people to read the important points of my long, long posts. Sorry about yelling that way, I'm just trying to get my points across.

I must say one thing though that will again probably get this deleted. The reason I was banned from that ONE forum was because of what I said, not how I said it. I was also banned because ONE person wanted me banned. Those are facts, I can back them up with saved emails and PM's. The end result of sweeping things like this under the rug is that nobody knows the real truth of what happened, so they make up their own assumptions.

Am I cocky sometimes? Sure. Do I come off harsh sometimes? Of course. Can I, and have I been a valuable contributor to this and other forums? I believe so. FWIW, most of you would be surprised at how I am in person. Someday I'd like to go to a Kappa meet and use a fake screen name. That way when everyone say's "Wow, that _____ guy was a really nice guy", THEN I'll let them know it was that cocky sob gmtech!

Thanks again Rob, I appreciate your comments.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Glad to see the case was so quickly resolved.

Pwerks is a small shop. Really small.

The fact that they offer so many great products for our cars amazes me.

With the amount of people who call and email per day, just to ask questions and advice from Dave, it in it's self can be a full time job.

While fielding questions
he has to fabricate parts
repair customers vehicles (which aren't limited to just our platform)
install custom parts (both of which he fabricated and ones he didn't)
keep an eye open for posts like this to save his name ( on multiple forum, again not limited to our platform)
Purchase materials to fabricate such parts (do his best to find best suppliers)
Research and develop new parts (not just this platform)
Keep track of the books for the business so his employees can make a living

Get home early enough to remain married
spend enough time with his children that they remember his name

I simply don't know how small business's like his are able to do what Performance Autowerks does.

Sure would be easier if he just went to a GM dealership and turned a wrench, collected a check.

But we wouldn't have all the nice Pwerks products...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Glad to see the case was so quickly resolved.

Pwerks is a small shop. Really small.

The fact that they offer so many great products for our cars amazes me.

With the amount of people who call and email per day, just to ask questions and advice from Dave, it in it's self can be a full time job.

While fielding questions
he has to fabricate parts
repair customers vehicles (which aren't limited to just our platform)
install custom parts (both of which he fabricated and ones he didn't)
keep an eye open for posts like this to save his name ( on multiple forum, again not limited to our platform)
Purchase materials to fabricate such parts (do his best to find best suppliers)
Research and develop new parts (not just this platform)
Keep track of the books for the business so his employees can make a living

Get home early enough to remain married
spend enough time with his children that they remember his name

I simply don't know how small business's like his are able to do what Performance Autowerks does.

Sure would be easier if he just went to a GM dealership and turned a wrench, collected a check.

But we wouldn't have all the nice Pwerks products...
I'm not going to dignify that "turned a wrench" comment with a response but I do have a serious question for you. How is that Pwerks tune working out for you? Seriously, I'd like to know. How is the driveablilty, response and power?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.