Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with the buttons on the DIC in my Sol. I have a lot of problems setting the cruise control and once the cruise control is set if I push the top button to increase the speed of the cruise, it will turn off the cruise. The other buttons will not work or function properly as well. I have searched through the threads in this forum and have found where TomatoSoup said to remove the part and clean the contacts; however, I'm not sure how to remove the part. Can anyone tell me how to remove that part so I can clean those contacts? Thank you for all of your help!! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Yes
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/removing-steering-wheel-trim-65700/

OK
here is how I did it. I got a T handle allen wrench - the largest size that will easily fit through the hole. Then I inserted the wrench through the hole and felt around until I found the locking clip. When you press on the locking clip, the side of the airbag will release. You pull lightly on the side that is released to keep it from locking again. Then while holding outward pressure, insert the wrench into the other side and repeat the unlocking action.

It is easier if the wheel is horizontal and you can then use the same angle when you insert on each side.

Once both sides are released, you can move the airbag out of the way. You do not have to disconnect it necessarily though it is easier. The connector is a little trickey to disconnect but you can figure it out.

There is a machine screw on each side that will be visible once the airbag is lifted up and out of the way. You loosen the screw on each side and then the steering wheel controls will rotate out and away from the steering wheel. You have to disconnect the connector for each side, and then take the switch with trim to the work bench.

If you look at it from the back side, with the trim away from you, you will see that the switch is joined to the trim plate with 2-3 tabs that you can release using a small flat bladed screw driver. Once you have the tabs released, the trim will pop right off the switch. Same for both sides.

You can then sand and paint the trim plate to the color of your choice.

Just reverse the process to reinstall

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Wonderful instructions. Thank you so much, Rob!!!
I am just glad that I got there before TS or Choptop:thumbs::leaving:

Just a side note on safety.

The official procedure calls for removing battery power before disconnecting the airbag. It is a pyrotechnic device and can be dangerous to handle.

But . . .

I pulled the air bag out three times without pulling the power.

To get at the switches you do not need to remove the airbag, so you do not need to disconnect it electrically from the car. You can move it out of the way to gain access to the cruise switches without disconnecting the cabling. So as long as you are reasonably careful, I would not remove the power.

I also talked with my GM tech. He said that the airbag systems are designed to be maintained by "ape fisted highschool drop outs" and are very safe. Not to say that he was referring to all GM techs but the extreme of the range perhaps. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Will this in any way activate the airbag? I sure don't want to do that!!
The airbag requires a high energy signal to light. As long as the cable is connected there is no chance of that happening. They are very safe

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I always find that soap and water work best in the shower....maybe a little axe body wash....errr.......nevermind, you weren't talking about what I thought you were talking about...... :glol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts