Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
brock5555 said:
Has Anyone Received More Than A $200 Discount From The List Prices On An Ordered Car?

We've had numerous discussion threads about opportunistic dealers that are marking up the Solstice by several thousand dollars, so most people on the forum are happy to have locked in a deal at MSRP. :)

A rare few are pursuing GMS Employee pricing, but I'll believe it when I see it.

There was maybe one guy who mentioned his dealer was selling the Solstice to him for less than MSRP, based on a long-standing dealer/customer relationship, but I don't remember who that was.

For the most part, supply versus demand issues (much demand, no supply :lol: ) are keeping prices at or above MSRP.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want a discount, I'd recommend building up a GM Card rebate. That's my plan.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Agree, going to long time before we hear discount and Solstice in same sentence. Low volume sports cars are usually exempt from many discount programs just for the reason that they can sell them without discounts.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Most dealers have all of their allocation spoken for and a line out the door of people waiting for more. So few will be discounting the Solstice, even off of MSRP. If someone doesn't want to pay list, they can just sell it to one of the next people in line.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You Can Get Gms Pricing If You Qualify Even Without The Current Pricing For Everyone. I Ordered My Solstice With My Gms # I Got From My Father Who Worked For G.m. For Years. They Signed The Order With Gms Pricing On It So I Know I Will Get It. Even Better, I Don't Have To Pay The Dealer Or Destination Fees. Now I Just Have To Wait Till Febuary To Get The Car.

·
5,641 Posts
SPIROB said:
Even Better, I Don't Have To Pay The Dealer Or Destination Fees.
Even GMS buyers pay the Destination Charge.

And under current GMS rules, buyers also have to pay normal dealer fees. It might be different if February, they may go back to the $75 limit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aardvark said:
If you want a discount, I'd recommend building up a GM Card rebate. That's my plan.
I've got about $1,000 on mine and I plan on using it. Since 1994 I've cashed in $9,200 on that card, what a sweet deal. To bad they limited it to only $500 a few years ago though. It was an even better deal when there were partner bonuses.

·
Registered
212 Posts
mceb said:
Agree, going to long time before we hear discount and Solstice in same sentence. Low volume sports cars are usually exempt from many discount programs just for the reason that they can sell them without discounts.
I don't know about that. In a year or two when the bloom is off the rose and the Sky and all new Miata are out, I doubt the Sol will command a premium. The Miata was as hot as the Sol when it came out and it wan't long before they were giving htem away. I got one back in 1994 for $3,000 back of sticker.

·
Registered
535 Posts
danlbrau said:
I don't know about that. In a year or two when the bloom is off the rose and the Sky and all new Miata are out, I doubt the Sol will command a premium. The Miata was as hot as the Sol when it came out and it wan't long before they were giving htem away. I got one back in 1994 for $3,000 back of sticker.
1994? Well that's 5 years after intial release. That's a pretty long time to me. :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Price is the question

I envy you guys or gals that have locked in price at MSRP. My dealer in south Jersey won't guarantee MSRP. I will try to convince him a happy customer left with a good taste will sell more cars later.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
DeaconEd said:
I envy you guys or gals that have locked in price at MSRP. My dealer in south Jersey won't guarantee MSRP. I will try to convince him a happy customer left with a good taste will sell more cars later.
Do you have an order in already? If not go around to others, an order now won't be in until 2006 and the markups will be over tell him.

Might also remind him GM really wants him to not do markups (doubt he'll care but try to plead a case)

·
4,592 Posts
Saw this while reading a article on real estate, hit me that the Sol, no matter how awesome a vehicle, may get discounted quick in an economic downturn. Food for thought.

QUOTE:
FROM: Edward Leamer, an economist who heads the prestigious Anderson Forecast at the University of California at Los Angeles

Low borrowing costs accelerated future sales by enticing consumers to trade up to bigger homes and new vehicles sooner than they might have done otherwise. Instead of waiting to buy a new family car in a couple of years, folks said, “Oh, what the heck. Financing is so cheap we might as well get it today.” As a result, car dealers lose the sale they would have gotten two years from now.
As rates creep higher, consumers happily driving their new cars or living in their larger homes have no motivation to purchase additional ones. Since consumer spending drives two-thirds of our economy, when consumers close their wallets, the impact is far-reaching.
ENQUOTE

I kind mixed that with the idea that sooo many new cars have recently been dumped into the market due to "employee discounts". Brentil mentioned that used car prices are lower than they had been due to employee dicount programs. Makes you wonder if demand can hold - even for the Solstice?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey, small world... I was just reading that very same housing bubble article via Google News... :lol:

I guess it's an obsession for us Golden Staters. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all, first post.
I just ordered a solstice today. I was hoping to get a little off MSRP going into the whole ordeal, and was shocked to discover the dealer wanted 1000 over MSRP. I refused to pay extra. Deadline for dealer's order was the next morning (this was the last of their allocation of 4), so they were a little desperate. Dealer called up the other people who were interested to see if anyone would be willing to pay MSRP+1000. Nobody would, so they gave it to me for MSRP.
I just graduated from college. First one in my family to buy a brand new car. I hope I made the right decision! Until the ETA of early november (I hope!), I'll be driving around in my '95 miata.

piGuy

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome PiGuy, car is very hot right now. Some dealers are asking 2-3k over. Stand firm for MSRP. All of us got it too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Economic Meltdown......Naaaaah......

RODEO said:
Saw this while reading a article on real estate, hit me that the Sol, no matter how awesome a vehicle, may get discounted quick in an economic downturn. Food for thought.
This might be true in 2007, but no time soon over the next 12 months. This car is too hot and too wanted by too many people. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
MSRP is the only way!

piGuy said:
Hi all, first post.
I just ordered a solstice today. I was hoping to get a little off MSRP going into the whole ordeal, and was shocked to discover the dealer wanted 1000 over MSRP. I refused to pay extra. Deadline for dealer's order was the next morning (this was the last of their allocation of 4), so they were a little desperate. Dealer called up the other people who were interested to see if anyone would be willing to pay MSRP+1000. Nobody would, so they gave it to me for MSRP.
Good job getting in on the last allocation. Congratulation on getting the car for MSRP! :yesnod:

·
4,592 Posts
Aardvark said:
Hey, small world... I was just reading that very same housing bubble article via Google News... :lol:

I guess it's an obsession for us Golden Staters. :lol:
:glol: :glol:

too funny, but then again, there are 3 articles a day, so what are the odds. Own a so cal house ardvark? I just sold.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts