Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news, bad news. The good news is I recieved my invoice. The bad news is like Excelsior, I am getting the painted wheels.
I guess the leather issue was a smoke screen for another shortage, the polished wheels. I don't understand why there would be a shortage of wheels, and I don't understand why Pontiac wouldn't want to make the extra money in selling them. I've seen them both and the polished looked much better than the painted.

I hope you all don't have the same problem, but I just wanted to post a warning for those that ordered the polished wheels. :(

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
You're kidding me, right?

They must have some polished wheels? Can they be added afterwards (not chrome)?

I need to the brentil head smilie thing...
:brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

don't feel better yet :leaving:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pontiac is really dropping the ball, I can hear my friends now talking more and more smack about GM :willy:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mceb said:
You're kidding me, right?

They must have some polished wheels? Can they be added afterwards (not chrome)?

I need to the brentil head smilie thing...
:brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

don't feel better yet :leaving:
I can get then later at full price I'm sure. My dealer has a program that I can trade in a set of painted wheels and get a set of chrome plated, cost about $700. It would probably be cheaper to order a set of aftermarket wheels from tire rack.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Marco said:
I can get then later at full price I'm sure. My dealer has a program that I can trade in a set of painted wheels and get a set of chrome plated, cost about $700. It would probably be cheaper to order a set of aftermarket wheels from tire rack.
Hope mine doesn't come with painted (ordered polished) but if it does its off to aftermarket I go.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Marco said:
Good news, bad news. The good news is I recieved my invoice. The bad news is like Excelsior, I am getting the painted wheels.
I guess the leather issue was a smoke screen for another shortage, the polished wheels. I don't understand why there would be a shortage of wheels, and I don't understand why Pontiac wouldn't want to make the extra money in selling them. I've seen them both and the polished looked much better than the painted.

I hope you all don't have the same problem, but I just wanted to post a warning for those that ordered the polished wheels. :(
I ordered polished wheels too, wouldn't have it any other way. I suppose you can always go with something aftermarket, and probably get something that will make the car stand out even more. But $700 isn't really a lot of money for good wheels, so you sure won't be saving any money going aftermarket for polished wheels.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Marco said:

My invoice stated the exact thing. I too ordered the polished wheels, but the invoice had painted wheels in it. I'm just sick..... :willy:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure GMlinedog would know something about this, but I wouldn't want him to get in trouble by commenting on it.

The bottom line is we should have a pretty good idea how widespread this is by the end of the week.

I hope Troy can ammend the poll on the home page in regards to if your order was picked up the way you want it to add another choice....yes but I got painted wheels

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine came with polished

I don't mean to rub it in. I just wanted to let you know that I ordered polished and got polished wheels. They look great (even dirty) and I don't see a need for chrome.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Marco said:
I know I'm only one person, but I had terrible luck with Tire Rack. They sent me a bent wheel and fought me long and hard to replace it. Their policy states that once you mount the tire, the wheel is yours for good. Who actually checks a wheel to see if it's perfectly round before mounting a tire on it? Pa-leaze! Their policy sucks for everyone and their customer service after the sale sucked for me too. Long story short, don't go to tire Rack.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Practicality of painted wheels & color choice???

danlbrau said:
I ordered polished wheels too, wouldn't have it any other way. I suppose you can always go with something aftermarket, and probably get something that will make the car stand out even more. But $700 isn't really a lot of money for good wheels, so you sure won't be saving any money going aftermarket for polished wheels.
I decided to just go with the painted wheels. I've got a Sunfire GT with painted wheels and have been happy with them. I figured that if I get the polished wheels, it will be just one more thing to scratch up more easily and more of a pain to keep clean and polished looking.

Yes, I'm one of the people who ordered Cool (Silver) even though I personally like Sly, Seep and Envious better. I did this mostly for the following 2 reasons: (1) Hides the dirt as I don't have the time to spend hours each week washing it - plus I live in Connecticut where sand & salt stays on the roads till at least May or June. The street sweepers actually just came around in my neighborhood to pick up the sand a few weeks ago!!! (2) I have owned a Silver Dodge Daytona, a Purple Pontiac Sunfire GT, and a Green Ford Taurus. In my experience, the darker the color, the more it will show the slightest scratch, ding, etc. Right now, my '97 Purple Pontiac Sunfire GT looks much better unwashed than it does washed and waxed due to many surface scratches from over the years (several resulting from being valdalized in NYC). With about 120,000 miles on it now, I can't really justify repainting it. Besides, it will become my winter/beater car when the Solstice spends the winter and unpleasant weather in the garage.

Anyone else have similar thoughts, or am I just too much of a mechanical engineer to be thinking like this?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
scott1715 said:
I don't mean to rub it in. I just wanted to let you know that I ordered polished and got polished wheels. They look great (even dirty) and I don't see a need for chrome.
Get thyself immediately to THE LIST and let Excelsior update your info as having taken possession. He only shows three right now and he's been playing with his new toy for two whole days and needs something else to do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
achieftain said:
Get thyself immediately to THE LIST and let Excelsior update your info as having taken possession. He only shows three right now and he's been playing with his new toy for two whole days and needs something else to do.
Technically I haven't taken possession yet. I pick it up on saturday since I am out of town on business (I only saw it on my way to the airport yesterday).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Marco, I got a call from my dealer that my order was picked up on Thursday. He said that he was going to call to reverify the order today. At the time I asked if I could get the polished chrome wheels , since the car would be elegible for them by the time it got to me. The dealer basically said that he was lucky to have gotten all of my options picked-up at this time,and that if I tried to get the polished chrome wheels at this time,I would almost certainly have my order not picked-up. This really stinks considering that when I ordered the car it was said to be delevered In July at the latest, so there was no chance to even have that optoin at that time. You would have thought GM would have had these wheels stock piled by now, and made this option available to those who wanted them. I guess that's another way GM has found to either stick us with buying these wheels for another premium, and there lackof forsight into the customers demands. :brentil: :brentil:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I stopped down at my dealer to check out my invoice. First I'd like to say that other than the wheels, everything was fine (no add ons, msrp)

and to show my gratitude, I lent them my Solstice.........my die cast 1/18 scale Solstice that is. This was the one I got in Detroit.

I told them "go ahead and put it on the showroom floor, but do my a favor, put a sign next to it that say's, PLEASE DO NOT SIT IN CAR.

They did tell me that my car is the first of 5 that they ordered (EOP) being delivered (#158).

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
SOL_in_CT said:
I decided to just go with the painted wheels. I've got a Sunfire GT with painted wheels and have been happy with them. I figured that if I get the polished wheels, it will be just one more thing to scratch up more easily and more of a pain to keep clean and polished looking.

Yes, I'm one of the people who ordered Cool (Silver) even though I personally like Sly, Seep and Envious better. I did this mostly for the following 2 reasons: (1) Hides the dirt as I don't have the time to spend hours each week washing it - plus I live in Connecticut where sand & salt stays on the roads till at least May or June. The street sweepers actually just came around in my neighborhood to pick up the sand a few weeks ago!!! (2) I have owned a Silver Dodge Daytona, a Purple Pontiac Sunfire GT, and a Green Ford Taurus. In my experience, the darker the color, the more it will show the slightest scratch, ding, etc. Right now, my '97 Purple Pontiac Sunfire GT looks much better unwashed than it does washed and waxed due to many surface scratches from over the years (several resulting from being valdalized in NYC). With about 120,000 miles on it now, I can't really justify repainting it. Besides, it will become my winter/beater car when the Solstice spends the winter and unpleasant weather in the garage.

Anyone else have similar thoughts, or am I just too much of a mechanical engineer to be thinking like this?
We have a black monte carlo,and it's not to hard to keep it clean, I have one of those california dusters, it works great111 I also bought a small duster for the inside because the other one worked so well it's a must to have if you have a dark color car. To me there isn't anything more beautiful then a clean jet black car. I also got polished wheels and will settle only for polished even if I have to buy them. Nothing like polished or chrome, it's harder to keep clean but they are worth it.

zero/zipper ct.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.