Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to put my factory stereo back in the car over the weekend, necessitating the removal of the DDM stereo surround / gauge holder.

Since my car already looks like crap, I decided to make an A-pillar gauge pod by drilling the a-pillar trim and attaching a piece of 2" PVC with some two-part epoxy:

(For some reason, the forum software has decided that my picture should be rotated 90 degrees.)

I need to go back in with some filler, sand and paint it - the Sky interior conversion I've been doing is all black, anyway, and the plastic interior trim pieces are pretty easy to paint - but it's not too terrible for $7.00 in materials.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Making progress. I pulled the PVC back out - well, heated the epoxy with a torch until it came out - and replaced it with the flared end of the conduit. I the cut it to length and angled the "inside" part that protrudes through the back of the pillar, and gorilla glued the new piece in place.

Waited forever for that to dry - heat does not accelerate gorilla glue, but I was out of epoxy - and got to work with the Bondo. I'm using the body filler instead of the fiberglass type, which may or may not matter or be the best choice. I've never worked with the stuff before so I couldn't really say.

I found some air bubbles when sanding, have to fill those in and go through another round of sanding, but it's starting to come together.

When this is done, I may make a fiberglass mold and try my hand at vacuum bagging a carbon fiber part.

For those of you that, like me, basically type for a living, I highly recommend trying this kind of thing. It's very cathartic, and when you're done you'll have a physical thing you can point to and say, "I made that!" Lots of fun.

The nice thing about building your own workbench and making the top out of two layers of 3/4" plywood is that you can cut it, get it covered in glue and Bondo, etc. When it gets too ugly, just sand the top layer until it's smooth, or replace that section for $10.00. (Or for free if you have the right scrap in your lumber pile. )

I could buy a pillar gauge pod, but, hey, where's the fun in that? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Looks really great, looking forward to the final result.

Reactions: raygun

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More progress

Did some more filling and sanding and started in with the primer.

There are some rough spots that I'm going to fix before making the mold..

Once that's done, it's pretty straightforward to make a few of these things if anyone's interested.

If anyone would like to fix the picture orientation, I won't mind. Or, better yet, tell me how to keep the forum from rotating them when I upload. :( This software could *really* use an update.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, yeah... :) Considering going to register it in Oklahoma to get past all that pesky emissions crap we have in Texas.
I guess it depends upon your county. Down south in Ellis county if there's no CEL then there's no problem with emission. Dallas/Tarrant/Collin so forth is different. Of course in Oklahoma they don't care :wink:

·
Registered
353 Posts
That looks fantastic Raygun!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A little more progress today. I made a mold out of fiberglass mat last night, popped it off of the original pillar this morning. I need to do some filling and shaping before I make the new pillar, but I'm reasonably happy with it. (Especially I've never tried to work with fiberglass before!)

I might just try a fender next. They're a much less complex shape, and of a manageable size.

On a side note: Johnson's floor wax (cheap at Home Depot) makes a great mold release. I put 6 coats on, buffing in between with a TurtleWax buffer I haven't used in roughly 20 years, and the mold popped off quite easily. If you try this, wear long sleeves, rubber gloves and a mask. The resin is nasty stuff.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts