Discussion Starter #1
M18X1.5

If you replacing with magnet plug
The # is 65264 Google.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
834 Posts
Another way to get a similar result . . . I stuck a neodymium magnet from an old speaker to the back of the drain bolt. I don't even remove it from the bolt when I remove the drain bolt.

But thanks for the info!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that is a idea. How did you secure the magnet to the bolt?
LLLFLY

·
Registered
834 Posts
Now that is a idea. How did you secure the magnet to the bolt?
LLLFLY
It attracts the bolt with such force, it has not fallen off in almost 60K km.

I've done it before with other cars either using a neodymium from a speaker or a rare earth magnet (can buy from hobby stores). I used to have a magnet on my oil drain plug as well until I switched to a fumoto oil drain valve. I like it because I put a clear silicon hose on the end of the valve, and the used oil goes directly into a container, so I no longer need/use a drain pan to do my oil. Which was always a pain to clean/store.

Over the years I've found that due to the filter and the short drain intervals, the magnet doesn't seem to make much of a difference for the engine oil. But for manual transmissions, and their very long drain intervals, the magnets helped quite a lot by collecting significantly more metal.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol
I took the valve out and installed a
magnetic plug.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
834 Posts
lol
I took the valve out and installed a
magnetic plug.
LLLFLY
Ha ha. Yah like I said when it comes to oil changes, because of the oil filter, and relatively short drain intverals (at least 1-2 a year) versus the non-filtered transmission oil, with the very long drain interval, I was finding benefit with a magnetic plug for the transmission, but for the engine oil, not so much.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Any pictures? I would like to see ehat you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't have one of a neodymium magnet on the back of the stock oil drain plug as I haven't had that setup for a few years now, but you can imagine:

Stick one of these magnets:

To the back of this drain bolt

And the stock transmission drain plug on my Sky already has a magnet, but in the past, I have added a magnet to the drain plug like this:

This is not my actual car, but I have a valve just like this instead of the stock drain bolt now. I put a hose on the end of it, and the oil goes directly into a jug, and I don't have to use a drain pan anymore which was always a pain to clear/store. Helps quite a lot to speed up an oil change without having to deal with the drain pan, nor screwing on and off the drain bolt.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pics.
Are you saying the Ar5 comes with a magnet plug?
On the drain plug.

Does anyone know if the rear has one?
LLLFLY

·
Registered
834 Posts
Actually, thinking back on it now, I believe either the CTS diff plug, or the AR5 drain plug had it, but not both, and I can't remember which was which now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looks right, but you should check their application guide first. Just make sure you get an extender/adapter. The LNF oil pan needs it, or the fumoto won't thread all the way in. You can also get a 1-2 ft clear silicone hose for like $1-2 bucks while you order them as well. I paid $30 for the valve, the extender, and the hose when I got mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts