Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a cold air intake themselves? It seems like a lot of money to spend for just a piece of tubing with a cone air filter on the end. This seems like a project that should only take a few bucks and a few beers to get some pvc or some other thin metal tubing and stick a cone air filter on the end. Is there something more this that I am not seeing? I know there is no real increase in power, just sound. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something just to find that I prefer the stock sound better. Also, don't see the point on paying a lot of money for something I can do myself with a trip to the hardware store and a few hours work.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
No one bothers. Too many other more interesting projects to do.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Apart from being a waste of time (as Bill so eloquently states) you can run into many issues with turbulent flow messing with the MAF and causing drivability issues and codes.

I've seen at least a couple of very fancy designs (turned billet aluminum, etc) that caused no end of work to get them to run properly. Even some aftermarket ones have issues there.

Run, don't walk, away from the idea.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Has anyone made a cold air intake themselves? It seems like a lot of money to spend for just a piece of tubing with a cone air filter on the end. This seems like a project that should only take a few bucks and a few beers to get some pvc or some other thin metal tubing and stick a cone air filter on the end. Is there something more this that I am not seeing? I know there is no real increase in power, just sound. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something just to find that I prefer the stock sound better. Also, don't see the point on paying a lot of money for something I can do myself with a trip to the hardware store and a few hours work.
The big deal is the MAF housing, messing with the diameter will throw off your reading and mess with your A/F. Also the factory tube has another vacuum fitting on it with a fuel disconnect type piece on it. Another member posted a how to for modifying the eBay intake to work.

I did an airbox mod on mine. Cut off the box section and kept the MAF housing, the used a 45* elbow, 3" coupler, and a AEM dry flow to make my own intake, but I will prob pick up a DDM or Pwerks one before I put the new turbo in

·
Registered
237 Posts
factor in the cost of welding gas and consumables, time, material, r and d. some of the intakes aren't all that badly priced.

you will have to do something with your maf sensor. anytime you alter the pipe you will scew the readings. Also the more connections the more potential issues can arise.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Building my own once I have the time and buy more welding gas again, have a 9x6" Dry flow AEM filter and 3" aluminum, MAF relocated to the cold side charge pipe.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Is anyone intending to actually have a cold as opposed to recycled warm air intake, i.e. running the pick up to the front of the radiator?

If not, it is pretty much just a noise maker.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Is anyone intending to actually have a cold as opposed to recycled warm air intake, i.e. running the pick up to the front of the radiator?

There wouldn't be a point, my IAT1's are almost always 1-2* over ambient. Moving the filter where it can grab "cooler" air won't see any gains. By the time the turbo has heated the air and the intercooler has cooled it down, the 0-1* lower IAT1 will not make a difference in IAT2's...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Mine will mount right behind the front bumper support, going to isolate the air filter as much as possible and try to make a forward facing vent, if possible.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts

Mine is now mounted in front of the front radiator shroud. So I guess it qualifies as an " ambient" air intake. I would not recommend anyone follow the months long path I did though. :willy:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine will mount right behind the front bumper support, going to isolate the air filter as much as possible and try to make a forward facing vent, if possible.
But what is the purpose of this? The car has a turbo, which will heat the air well above ambient temperature, from here the intercooler need to cool it back down before going into the engine.

Dropping the intake temps before the turbo by a degree or two will make little to no difference once the air enters the engine. Even if the temperature drop stayed consistent through out the entire process. You could neither add more timing or boost just because you lowered you IAT's by 1-2 degrees. Therefore you make little no more extra HP compared to a traditional intake that mount over the radiator shroud

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I think it's because he can

I bought a DeJon CAI back in the day thinking it would do some good. Never did but I kept it anyway

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Under hood temps will be higher than 1-2° over ambient, and also because I can. Perks of making my own parts.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Under hood temps will be higher than 1-2° over ambient, and also because I can. Perks of making my own parts.
Log your car during daily driving...Your IAT 1's won't be much higher than ambient temps. I Live in Texas where it is summer for 3/4 out of the year...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
More dense air in means more air out, period.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Here is my mod to the CAI sold on eBay, DDM Charge Pipes and eBay/Customized Cold Air Intake | Mark's Blog

I am not done, I need to add a pipe to get it back in front of the radiator. As others have mentioned, you almost certainly will affect your MAF and need a tune adjustment. As I am adding several mods and will be retuning anyway, I don't mind. Without a tune adjustment, it will most likely loose ground. Mine lost torque. The only reason I am going to keep it and tune for it, is I like the polished look better than all that plastic.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts