Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I purchased a 2006 Solstice. Here in VA we require a front and rear license plate. I could not find the factory bracket and looking through the posts, didn't like the idea of making holes in the front bumper. Here is what I came up with:

Bought a Bell small mounting bracket from Wal-Mart and two tapered rubber stoppers from Lowes (Small enough to fit into the grill honeycomb, but not go all the way through).

Bell Small Mounting Bracket: Automotive : Walmart.com

I also cut up a piece of an old mouse pad to put on the painted surface between the grills.

Using 1 1/2" stainless steel screws, I started holes in the stoppers on the smaller end. Leave the screws in place for the next step.

Locate where you will mount the bracket and which honeycomb hole the stoppers need to be in. From under the front end, contort your arm to go behind the grill with the stopper (screw still attached). Push the screw end through the honeycomb hole and pull to seat the stopper in the hole. (A magnetic pick-up tool would help to guide the stopper up to the grill)

Wiggle and pull the stopper until you feel it has a good lock in the hole. Repeat for the other mounting hole.

Remove the screws carefully not to dislodge the stopper. Attach the bracket and insert the mouse pad against the painted area between the grills. Tighten the screws. Mounting bracket will bow along the body line as will the license plate when mounted.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Good idea!

Might I suggest a modification (to make it more secure)? Instead of just push-fitting the stoppers in the holes in the grill, drill a hole all the way through the stopper, and use these drywall toggle/anchors so the 'wings' are on the inside and will lock the stoppers in the grill. (Still removable in the future, should you need to.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original design used these. Trust me, the stoppers are not going anywhere and the anchors are not meant for outdoor use, so they will rust over time.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Maybe use a rubber stopper/plug - get one or make one with stainless steel screws through the bracket, through the rubber plug, through a stainless washer (inside the grill) and a stainless nut. Tightening will make the plug swell, biting on the grille.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm with you Rob. whomever installed the one on mine drilled 4 holes in the bumper cover and I think they were on their 6th beer. I had some raggedy holder on it with the dealer logo plate so I took that off the day I got it home. Picked up my plates last week and the front one is in my garage. I was able to smooth out the dimples the screws left with the handle of my screwdriver and I'm leaving it like it is until I get a couple warnings.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Lived in TX when I bought my Sol in '09. Never put on a front plate and was never stopped. In GA for 1-1/2 years now and front plate not required. So glad I didn't mess up my Sol.
Just take a chance before drilling anything. The first time is a warning, then, if you feel you need to, drill.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Mine's still in the basement I think and it's still in the plastic bag 'cause it's never been on the car. Touch wood, it's been 5 years and never been stopped.

Nice idea for a mount though, hopefully I don't ever have to use it.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Isn't the stock front bracket just a snap in to the front grilles? I don't remember having to drill to put it on.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
It was snap-in, but it also came with rivets that the dealership was supposed to drill holes for (I guess, just-in-case). I made sure my selling dealership did not mount it :)

Mine is inverted and snapped in down low with just two of the posts and yet has held up fine for 3+ years.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Mine came rivetted to the car, unfortunately (we require front plates in BC).

I lowered it. before and after. I think after looks about as good as it gets given we must run them. The plate bracket that mounts through the lower grille is an after market (Dejon) product.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
It was snap-in, but it also came with rivets that the dealership was supposed to drill holes for (I guess, just-in-case). I made sure my selling dealership did not mount it :)

Mine is inverted and snapped in down low with just two of the posts and yet has held up fine for 3+ years.
The dealer setup guy never read the notes in the file and mounted the plate bracket on my 1st 1K 2006. Luckily, that was before they started including screws and/or rivets in the plate kit.

When I removed it, all I had to deal with was the 2-sided sticky foam tape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like Wspohn in BC, here in Ontario we also need front plates. I was inspired by Wspohn's photos when I saw them last year, and my front plate is even lower than his, and shows off the front grill perfectly whilst remaining legal. How did I do it? I know this sounds crazy, and some of you purists might not like this, but I used high strength cable zip ties!!!!! I have a Black Solstice, and a black license plate surround. So I used black cable zip ties. You can just about get them through the bottom row of holes on the grill. I put 2 on each side, in case one broke - I didn't want to drag the license plate along the road, and I carry a couple of spares in the car in the front seat pocket, just in case.

I'm getting her out of storage this weekend. I'll post up a photo so you can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's an early warning speed bump detector!
It's no lower than the plastic trim under the front, so I don't have any trouble with speed bumps.

Oh, and it doesn't flap either, some stick on foam ensures that it doesn't rub on the paint, and it keeps it nice and straight too!

·
Registered
432 Posts

Front offset bracket made from plant hangers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts