Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after months of planning and aquiring parts i started the project
My V8 conversion using a mixture of old school power and new technology.

Plan : pull the LE5 and drop a carbureted 350 V8 with 700r4 manual shifting capability automatic.

I wanted to control the engine and bolt ons with new circuits and let the existing computer control the inside of the car as well as lighting systems and safety features

The car is almost complete just working on small issues while I drive it to work in the day time.

The original time limit was 9 days to do the conversion but after some delays it has taken longer than anticipated but defintely worth the wait when it fired up

I dont want any flaming or negative comments cluttering this thread! I built it the way i wanted it.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Dang! Man! Good for you!

I'll be fascinated to learn how you integrate the 'old' engine with the car's ECM/BCM. Please give all the details you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
More info! Sounds like it'd be sweet but have ya' got a video to show us? ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More info! Sounds like it'd be sweet but have ya' got a video to show us? ;)
I do have videos but I am posting the build pics and leading up to that

What most people don't know is that the factory SBC engine mounts are spaced as wide as the LS series V8 but the SBC mounts sit forward about 3 inches. I had to make custom mounts to allow the engine to sit under the hood in the same relative location as the LE5

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the mock 350 block i used to make mounts and prefit everything the mock block only weighs 15lbs

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
What's the power output?

I assume you live in an area that doesn't require smog testing. Around here you are not allowed to install an older engine than the year of the car (unless it looks right - any FI SBC would probably be allowed in any car that was of a year after they went to FI, but no carbbed motors).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kept it mild only 365hp 410 torque yeah no smog testing here but i wont have to worry anyway the next addition is dual fuel either propane or gas i wouls pass with propane

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on your project. My question is what is your goal here? Do you want to make your ride track worthy or like me just want V8 power and great sound? Actually the best sounding engine I've heard is a small block with a four barrels and a wild cam that has a mean crackle while idling. I am really interested to see how well the V8 swap will go and getting some good info. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Kept it mild only 365hp 410 torque yeah no smog testing here but i wont have to worry anyway the next addition is dual fuel either propane or gas i wouls pass with propane
You're lucky! Here they inspect and if you have any changed or missing smog equipment (e.g. CAT) you fail even if your emmissions are below the limit - makes no sense, I know. I've been running a turbo on my 88 Fiero for 20 years and they've only noticed it once and when asked I just said 'They came that way' and the minimum wage kid plugging in the test gear believed me.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The party is over in CO. We now have State owned and operated Dyno emissions machines. They plug into the computer and check the code history. And believe me, as soon as they opened the hood on your project; they would probably impound your car. :lol::lol::lol:

On a side note: You haven't lived until you watch the State of CO run your car up to 70 MPH on a Dyno and the only amount of safety precaution they take is a tire block in front of one front tire; not even the hint of a strap to hold the car down. :rolleyes: I had the audacity to question them once, and I was honored to receive a second tire block in front of the other tire. :lol:

This is a very cool project, I look forward to seeing the finished product.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The morons here in BC managed to get themselves a lawsuit when they wound a prewar Fiat 500 up enough to damage the engine (always wondered if they simply tried to take it faster than it was ever able to go, or maybe stuck it in the wrong gear.

We have also had issues when the said brain trusts don't pay attention to what the car is - putting a 4WD vehicle with the rear wheels on the rollers and the front ones on pavement can be pretty interesting when you boot it, I understand..... Guess they figured if it doesn't look like a truck and have big knobby tires, it couldn't be 4WD, could it?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The party is over in CO. We now have State owned and operated Dyno emissions machines. They plug into the computer and check the code history. And believe me, as soon as they opened the hood on your project; they would probably impound your car. :lol::lol::lol:

On a side note: You haven't lived until you watch the State of CO run your car up to 70 MPH on a Dyno and the only amount of safety precaution they take is a tire block in front of one front tire; not even the hint of a strap to hold the car down. :rolleyes: I had the audacity to question them once, and I was honored to receive a second tire block in front of the other tire. :lol:

This is a very cool project, I look forward to seeing the finished product.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
They may change that after they pay to repair part of their building and someones car.;)

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Where would you put the fuel tank for either propane or natural gas?

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Good going, coop! I like the propane idea. Or LNG. Tank question is a good one...and how much cubic feet of storage for propane to get the same range as 13 gallons of liquid hydrocarbon fuel gets? Anyone have a conversion chart?

·
Registered
257 Posts
These swaps are really cool. Sub'd for more pics and videos.

How do you like it? Must be pretty awesome to double(more than) your hp!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts