Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question. Do dealers know what day a truck will come before it shows up? I REALLY would like to be there as the truck rolled in, esp. so I can make sure no one takes a joy ride in my car.

·
5,641 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
General question. Do dealers know what day a truck will come before it shows up? I REALLY would like to be there as the truck rolled in, esp. so I can make sure no one takes a joy ride in my car.
No.

·
Registered
338 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
Not really, but your dealer can "guesstimate" if you like camping out....

·
Registered
281 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
...I REALLY would like to be there as the truck rolled in, esp. so I can make sure no one takes a joy ride in my car.
You've got to call your salesman, or the sales manager and tell them you want to pick up the car that day, the hour it arrives, and you expect NO extraneous miles on the odometer. Dealer prep, schmealer prep, you want to be there ASAP. Even if you can't pick it up that hour, tell them you will, because guaranteed, there's someone at the dealership who'll want to take the pretty receptionist out for a little cruise in YOUR new Solstice.

Depending on whether your salesperson is honest(never met one of these) or smarmy, be demanding or outright pushy. Seriously, sometimes those guys don't respond to anyone, and that sucks, because you just handed tens of thousands of dollars over to them. Tens of thousands of dollars may not seem like much to a salesman who handles many large purchases like that in a month, but hell, it's YOUR money, and not just money, it represents YOUR time and effort when you were out there earning it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try more like 6. When my best friend bought his new G35 it had 14 miles on it. Salesman said it had only been test driven once before, and they had just recieved it from Infiniti. Dealer transfers can have more miles due to and uncertain history at the other dealership, but a newly dropped car should have VERY few. (Dealers on here can back me up or refute this. I haven't been on a lot in a professional capacity in 6 years)

If it has 60, it's been driven after it has arrived at the dealership. No amount of run-testing or QC would put 60 miles on the car. If it hasn't been driven, then the mileage should be in the single digits.

I personally, would by-pass the salesman, and get a rough idea of when the car is to arrive, and call the owner or manager (GENERAL manager. not the sales manager) and tell them that you would like to be notified the moment that the car comes in. Tell them you wanna watch them strip the plastic off of it and prep it.

The same contract that says you cannot back out on the car, also states that the car is yours. I was raised in the car business (local family business. MY family), and I know that there are good reputable dealers that still have some shady bastards working for them.

I mean the average young car salesman is gonna throw this thing to the gills to see what it's got. (case in point I was test driving an S2000 with 84 miles on it and the salesman asked me if I'd like him to throw the car around to show me what it could do. This car was still well within it's breakin period. I told him that no, I was thinking about buying the car and I'd prefer that he not glaze the pistons for me as a dealer courtesy). If he wraps your car around a Camry, it's not like they can locate you one and have it in a few days. You're gonna be waiting until the first of the year like me.

You have a vested interest in making sure it's kosher from the truck to your hands.

First post BTW.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
hypergolic said:
Try more like 6. When my best friend bought his new G35 it had 14 miles on it. ...
hypergolic hit it just about right. My last two new cars had 11 and 7 miles respectively.

Once you hit 20 miles, someone (or ones) have been out running around!

--Chemist

1 - 7 of 7 Posts