Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I believe him more then what GM says the SOlstice will be. :D
If you read my 2.4L ECOTEC thread over here you see I've posted various specs over time as we keep getting more/different information about the engine.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884

At this point the power levels he mentions are about what we're hearing from other sources too. It's not too far fetched either since Pontiac is supposed to be the performance brand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but how does he know more than GM? But it does sound in line with everything we've heard. At least we're getting some good news along with the bad news (trunk (not bad news for me, but for others)) :smile

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think it's reasonable to assume he's accurate.

I don't think that if the Sky and Solstice have the same motor, they would be different horsepower and torque. At least not by a few horsepower.

And if the Solstice and Sky do have different motors, they wouldn't just have them different by a few horspower and lb-ft.

My guess:

The Setting: somewhere in a Saturn marketing meeting conference room​

MarketingBonehead 1: "hey, we got this hot looking roadster, and the NAIAS is in six weeks, but so-and-so is late with the marketing literature. We gotta put whatever info is available together and get it to the printer TODAY!"

MarketingBonehead 2: "We could put some stuff out on the internet. What's this got that makes it go - I forget what it's called..."

MB1: "an engine?"

MB2: "Yeah, that's it! Now, unh, what type of... unh..."

MB1: "engine..."

MB2: "yeah, in-jen. What kind of "in-jen" does this car have? Man it looks hot!!!"

MB1: "I think it's called an Ecotec"

MB2: "let me look that up on the internet." Keys clattering. "GOT IT! Says here the Ecotec 2.4 l in the solstice on Solsticeforum is making 170 hp/162 ft-lb torque."

MB1 calls up the printer, with phone in hand: "Get the website updated, we've got about six weeks, that should just barely be enough time. Try and get the guy working on that OnStar find-the-message thing - I heard he's good!"

FIVE WEEKS LATER​

MB1: "oh, man. I didn't know Pontiac was updating their information!!! Now we're 7 horsepower and 7 foot-pounds, whatever THOSE are, behind the Solstice. I thought we were using the same engine?"

MB2: "We are using the same... unh... "in-jen". Maybe we should have talked to Pontiac?"

MB1: "What the heck do THEY know?"

MB2: "Well, all THEIR literature is reporting 177 horsepower and 169 foot pounds..."

MB1: "It's gonna take weeks to update everything... It's all SOLSTICEFORUM'S fault!!!!"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Lutz....er..solsticeman....did you record your employees during meetings? That's crazy you remember what they said word for word.
Very funny!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
After the lack of marketing done for the Ion Redline, I am surprised to see that Saturn may actually hold marketing meetings! :lol

170 HP, 177 HP, both are close. Even if one or the other are true, they could change again before specs are finalized. My guess is that 177 may be an updated figure from the original 170. Pontiac did say they were hoping for more than 170 when they originally announced the figure, but were not sure if it would be higher. So they published it as "at least 170."

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm more liekly to believe these numbers then the 170/170 specs. The fact that these numbers are also given with RPM ranges from other sources along with the fact that the Torque dropped by 1 ft.lbs. possibly to represent realy dyno values.

·
Registered
496 Posts
horsepower

This is what was displayed on the board next to the Solstice at the NAIAS:

177 Hp @ 6600 RPM
166 ft lb @ 4800 RPM
10.4 :1 compression ratio
88mm x 98 mm Bore and Stroke

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think GM's out to get me. I think they're just trying to make my head ::pOP:: :brentil: :D

It was so nice a month ago when it was 170/170 for over a year. Now in the span of that month I've seen the HP, Torque, rev limits, and compression ratio change at least 5 times each.

At the Orlando Auto Show the board by said 170/170, but that of course wasn't one of these almost production models. Hopefully we'll get a press release or something.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I think GM's out to get me. I think they're just trying to make my head ::pOP:: :D
They are watching the forum! I bet they have taken great pleasure in watching your head ::pop:: over and over again, and felt it would be funny to try and make it ::pop:: themselves! :glol

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've taken and updated my Torque Curve estimate graphs based of this newest official information (I'm going to call it official since it was on the latest car display). I've made them larger so they're easier to read, and along with a 20% power loss I've also added a 10% for comparison of drive train loss.

I'll add them to my other thread where I was posting these originally too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
You dawg - how'd you do the "view single post" thing?!?
If you notice on each post in the blue bar at the top of each one where on the far left it has the date/time posted, follow that blue bar all the way to the right. You'll see #xxx where xxx is a number. That's a link directly to that particular post.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, never saw that but went looking and just found it now...click the little #nn in left hand side of any post. Bring up a single post view. The URL throws in an extra parm (postcount=nn). Cool brentil.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It comes in really handy for things like I did above, or if you want to send someone else who's not on the forums a direct bit of info without them having to hunt it down.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
If you notice on each post in the blue bar at the top of each one where on the far left it has the date/time posted, follow that blue bar all the way to the right. You'll see #xxx where xxx is a number. That's a link directly to that particular post.
I learned something new! I knew those post numbers were over there, but didn't realize they were links to a specific post! Nice find! :thumbs

Good graphs too! I love the S2000's, and its cliff near 6000 RPM's where it reaches the vtec cam changeover! :lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts