Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
yes like somebody said the fuel pump will run hotter as it is cooled by the fuel. do you know what the fuel pressure is?? pumping the pressure constaintly takes a good amout of power, and power is heat. fuel pumps that are run down to the low level even beofre the light comes on wont last as long as the ones that get filled before they are at the low level mark. there is no fuel cooler for the little bit of fuel left in there. Ive changed burnt up pumps. when efi started going on everything like boats the pumps were just a fuel pump inline...and they burnt up or burnt the leads off..... better units were made but life was still short. then they started using the sea water to cool the pump, those lasted way longer. ive been out of that end of things for a good while now I dont have a clue what all has been done now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK So here's what I'll do. For 13 gallons I will call 1/4 tank three gallons. I'll put in 1/2 bottle of Gumout gas treatment and One ounce of Sta-Bil for whats in there and four ounces more for the gas thats going in. Then try to drive it this fall until its about at 1/4 again. GOOD LUCK AND THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

.....OK OK 'JUST DUST FROM WHEN I TOOK THAT FLEECE LINED CORVETTE COVER OFF :)

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Why do you store it with a quarter of a tank? I have always been told that a full tank is less likely to generate condensation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK I put in 10.3 gallons when it was right on 1/4. Six ounces of Stabil and about 2/3 bottle of Gumout.

There's the Battery Minder (and who the heck knows what the De-Sulfator does??) And theres the corvette cover that fits roomy but still nice and snug. I dont latch the back wings of the rag top down, no sense in it. I had to rip that drivers side mirror cover to let it stick out to keep from bumping it walking by. "Topless in Arizona"

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
OK I put in 10.3 gallons when it was right on 1/4. Six ounces of Stabil and about 2/3 bottle of Gumout.

There's the Battery Minder (and who the heck knows what the De-Sulfator does??) And theres the corvette cover that fits roomy but still nice and snug. I dont latch the back wings of the rag top down, no sense in it. I had to rip that drivers side mirror cover to let it stick out to keep from bumping it walking by. "Topless in Arizona"
Lead acid batteries develop a sulfate buildup on the plates under some conditions, and is a prime reason for battery failure. The de-sulfator alters the charging current in a way that eliminates or reduces the buildup, prolonging the life of the battery.

Most people believe that latching the buttresses down for storage will minimize wrinkles in the fabric. It also plugs the holes in the deck lid so that nothing will use them as an entrance to take up residence in the trunk.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I would definitely store it with the buttresses in place. It may not be as important on an older top, but mine, having been just replaced last year, had a tendency to "shrink" significantly when stored in the trunk for several weeks. I'm a firm believer in storing with "everything in it's place".

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Also, the mirrors can be rotated either direction so you have less sticking out. Note the seam between the mirror and its base.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OK Chickenwire, and all you all, I folded them down and latched. Original top and dry out here. I take the top down in October and back up in June to store it. Can't leave on time, forrest fires up north blocking the roads. Then I'm out of here. Be careful out there!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
They are designed to do that?? I did that one day by accident and thought I had broken something. Good to know.
It may be a law that mirrors that stick out have to do that, so they don't nail a pedestrian. I just know that a lot of mirrors turn in.

Reactions: joybill44

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK last post from me on this:

Wsphon, I had a '72 MGB for about 15 years, the last year with the metal bumper. I bought it for $600 and sold it for $3600. I put nice alloy 'mags' on it and the one piece manifold with one big 2-barrel Holley Carb. ( WHAT A SLED! )

When I moved out here I had to choose one and sold the MGB and kept the '52 MGTD.

IF any of you want to test yourself for mechanical ability, skill, talent, and craftsmanship........

Put on a new MGB top all by yourself. :) (and have it work perfectly, of course) :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts