• Hell no, this is a Solstice site!

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am not the only one that might be considering the Sky as my "Kappa Car" of choice, so it only follows that we talk about the establishment of a forum for that car. Sure it's early now, but by the time the Sky gets rolled out (in Jan) there may be some ultility in having posts split into different forums. That is unless Troy is going to start-up another Website for the Sky? :eek

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Could make sense to add another forum or 2 within this site for Sky (Sky discussion and Sky news?). Right now I think everyone is watching both closely but once we make our decisions it makes sense to split the discussions.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I think another section for just the Sky might be a good idea. Or a "other kappa cars" section. Went looking to see if kappaforum.com was available, but someones already registered that.

Otherwise we're going to start flooding the offtopic area with tons of Sky discussions.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
Otherwise we're going to start flooding the offtopic area with tons of Sky discussions.
That's what I was thinking too! Also at some point when the specs. are released people will be posting conflicting info. in the Solstice forum. Just seems like a good way to keep things / info. straight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree it might not be a bad idea to create an overall kappa forum that then diverges into solsticeforum and sky forum with maybe a common forum between the two.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think down the road we will need a sky forum somehow linked to Solsticeforum, but it also has to be easy to find for Saturn Sky enthusiasts. That could result in the need for its own web address, skyforum or something along those lines, even if the address simply forwards you to a sky forum section on this forum.

I'd hate to see them as totally different websites since they will be very similar. If they are close to each other mechanically, or identical, it seems like it would be a good idea to keep certain things like tech together. If the same mods, repairs, and procedures work on both cars, why split them into two different websites?

But for now, maybe a General Saturn Sky forum is all we need.

I wonder what Troy has in mind for expanding the forum. I bet he has thought about it too!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I voted yes, but like some others, would prefer that the forum be another discussion section of this Solstice forum for now. The Solstice is still my top choice at the moment, but I would like to know as much as possible about its Saturn sibling before placing an order. I'd prefer the convenience of having both forums on the same web site.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think it depends on the success of the Kappa platfrom. If the Solstice and the Sky come out, and sales are just luke warm, chances are that's all the Kappas we're getting. That being the case, one site with two seperate forum discussions would be fine. If the Kappas are a big success, and every other GM make in the world gets a Kappa variant like it's rumored, then this one site would be a little crowded and would warrant different sites.

Seems the best thing to do for now is wait until there is more concrete info on the Sky, then make a seperate section for it in this site. Later on if the Kappas keep coming, maybe set up seperate sites. A general Kappa site might be cool, but hopefully the different Kappas will be so individual that a site like that would be too cluttered and difficult for people to get to the threads they really want and find the info relevant to their car. Remember, once the cars ar on the showroom floors, this site and others dedicated to Kappas are going to grow! Directing Sky, Nomad, Lightning, etc. people to other sites would help to maintain a small site feel and keep it more personal. Just a thought. :cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just get a 2nd domain, both directing to same site. Add the Sky to the banner. Rename the forum group headings so they are not specific to either car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
looks like the the sky/solstice relationship is shared mechanical with different sheetmetal and trim- sort of a camaro/firebird thing, but with a different intended market segment.
the sky looks promising. the front 3/4 artist rendition is very close to the european Opel design. very attractive, that opel design, but then the soltice is a very nice design also.
the big difference for me is that the solstice is a car that i can have next year, and the sky is probably another model year behind the solstice. when they introduce the sky they may offer a boosted motor, but i would expect that a boosted motor would be offered for the solstice at the same time. i wouldn't expect one GM division to be allowed to get too far ahead of another with a 'sister' car.
bottom line for me- a natuaraly aspirated (as in reliable and trouble free for big mileage) solstice is what i want.... 170hp/170tq is right for a car like this. make a forum section for sky- i'll read about the sky when i'm driving my solstice.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to structure the whole thing. I want to cover the cool kappa models. I'm not interested in doing forums for cars that don't interest me. I like the Sky so far. I think that I will do something to cover it.

I could just setup a Sky section on here for now. We'll see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I kind of like the way you've got it so we can discuss all things Kappa. And then have sections titled something like "Just Pontiac Solstice" and "Just Saturn Sky" and soon, probably, "Just Vauxhall Lightning" and "Just Opel Whatever"... for those few things that are specific for just a particular model. I like being able to hit "Active Topics" and see recent posts regardless of where they are. Hope to do that when we are split into separate groups so we don't stray too far from each other.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We'll have to see how it develops over time. I'm sure we can come up with a good solution that will allow us to keep identity for individual cars but still take advantage of cross model similarities.

I also like to keep the forum(s) to a reasonable size. I like the community here today. It's going to grow quite a bit when the Solstice comes out but hopefully we can retain the same friendly helpful environment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts