Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 solstice and a 2008 grand Cherokee and the TPMS(tire pressure monitoring systens) on both are just a pain in the butt, the jeep one goes off anytime there is a change in humidity and my solstice is still off on one tire when I got new tires.

so, of course I looked it up on the internet and found that TPMS wasn't standard/law until 2007; so I am curious if 2006 and 2007 solstice owners have TPMS; it's almost worth buying a 2006 or 2007 if there is no TPMS or a 2006 or 2007.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,338 Posts
TPMS was required (Federal mandated) for model year 2008 and after.

It was not installed on MY2006 and MY2007 Kappa cars, unless an aftermarket unit was installed by the owner.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
How much is the one tire off? Mine have always been reasonably accurate. (+/- 1 psi)
Did you get new sensors with the new tires?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much is the one tire off? Mine have always been reasonably accurate. (+/- 1 psi)
Did you get new sensors with the new tires?

I did but it was a discount tire, even though I got continental extreme contact; and they were smart enough to get me out of there and 10 miles down the road before I noticed they couldn't set it.

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
I did but it was a discount tire, even though I got continental extreme contact; and they were smart enough to get me out of there and 10 miles down the road before I noticed they couldn't set it.
You didn't force them to make the sensor that they sold you work?

My '08 Sky and my '13 Equinox both have TPMS and I haven't had problems with either one. I have actually found it to be pretty useful, especially when it detected a failed patch & plug that had been done by Discount Tire, oddly enough.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
...it's almost worth buying a 2006 or 2007 if there is no TPMS or a 2006 or 2007.
I completely disagree.

All of my cars have TPMS. On each car, I was properly warned of low pressure in various situations.

Maybe you can look at a tire and see low pressure, but I cannot. ( I can see a flat tire however... )

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
My 2007 was not equipped with TPMS. I did install the aftermarket type that screws onto the valve stem in place of the valve cap. It has worked well for about five years now.

Bill

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
it's almost worth buying a 2006 or 2007 if there is no TPMS or a 2006 or 2007.
Is having TPMS really a deal breaker when looking for a new car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2007 solstice and no TPMS. I do miss it because I have a 2008 Subaru Outback that has it. The sensors can be a pain when you have 5 years on them and the battery starts to go. It's difficult to tell which tire is acting up unless you have special equipment because these early ones don't give you individual tire information. But, they are very useful. I haven't started to search yet, but I know that the sensors that go inside the tire are going to be better because they won't get damaged or stolen so easily, and they have the capability of reading the temperature inside the tire. The downside is that unless you find one that has a phone app, you've got to find a place to put the receiving unit/display and as we know, the Solstice is hard pressed to give you a convenient place to locate it! Not only that but many of then look like cheap add-on crap.

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
The Atoto Android radio that I put in the '08 is supposed to have the ability to read their TPMS transmitters, so a separate receiver is not needed. Of course the '08 already has TPMS.....

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I like the TPMS. Tires typically lose a bit of air over time - all of my garaged stuff gets a check and top up when it comes out of garage storage (usually 3 months to a year).

And I was warned of a leaking valve stem on the Solstice right after getting new tires and stems/sensors (it made sense to replace the sensors as the batteries were due to expire in a year or two anyway). The tire wasn't low to look at so the TPMS proved it's worth on that occasion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts