Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not know if this been talk about before.
DO you buy the car as soon as it is release or wait a year to get the bugs out.
I had a 87 Chevy truck that was months old when they change the body it had a # of little problems. Also had a first year Venture also # of problems.
Had a 98 GP second year of production very little problems, also 2000 Silverdo
no problems.
So I am underdecided to get this summer or wait a year. :confused

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
first year jitters

My 97 GTP was first year for new model. I ordered it the first week dealers could order - prices unknown. Very reliable, very few problems. New models today are not like new models of 20 years ago. Look at how long GM has been working on getting this into production. Not to mention all the computer simulation that now goes into design and building. The only thing that will delay me is getting my wife to learn stick or waiting for auto with paddle shift, Of course, at the projected price we can buy his and hers for the price of one BMW Z4!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’m not afraid of a first year model. If it has a few problems, GM will more than likely do a recall, or at least issue a TSB to fix it. Generally, those problems are not major, or if they are they are dealt with quickly through a recall. I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Generally speaking none of the major parts are new. The body and some of the chassis is new but everything else is standard GM stuff. It's also supposed to be a simple roadster, not some complicated 50,000 car with a million gizmos to break. The ecotec has been around forever and the transmission is all over the world. We bought an X5 when they first came out and it was a nightmare but it's a BMW. My sister just bought a new Malibu Max and she hasn't had a single problem. We sold the X5 for the Cadillac SRX when it first came out and we haven't had any problmes with that, and the SRX was a $50,000 new model with a ton of gizmos to break.
GM is on the defensive now, they can't afford to sell lemons. It's not like the 90's when GM could sit back

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is GM quality any better?

I would wait. I have a Gran Prix and parts are wearing out. Three alternators in three years,front hub assembly $600.00, intake pleniment made of "plastic" $600.00 to replace,rotors $284.00,why can't they last more than one brake change? Why is every visit to the shop more than car payments? This is why people buy foriegn cars! that Mecedes SLK 350 is looking better all the time.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The Grand Prix is a piece of crap, left over from the 90's. GM's new platforms, like the Zeta and so on should be part of GM's new manufacturing and engineering processes. Don't buy a Mercedes, Mercedes is currently rated lower then GM with their long term customer satisfaction ratings.

Brake rotors are like $18 at your local auto parts store, you should learn to install those your self. Switching out rotors is about as difficult as changing tires. There are also brake in procedures that I am sure you haven't followed as well for your rotors. Are you warping your rotos or is your local rip off garage telling you, you need new ones. Did you buy your Grand Prix used or new, if used it was more then likely a rental car and who knows how many people beat that car before you bought it. Also our X5 went through brake pads/rotors every 10,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
summersolstice said:
Mecedes SLK 350 is looking better all the time.
Wow, 2 different leagues....Grand Prix to SLK 350.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
summersolstice said:
I would wait. I have a Gran Prix and parts are wearing out. Three alternators in three years,front hub assembly $600.00, intake pleniment made of "plastic" $600.00 to replace,rotors $284.00,why can't they last more than one brake change? Why is every visit to the shop more than car payments? This is why people buy foriegn cars! that Mecedes SLK 350 is looking better all the time.
What year Grand Prix? Why the intake plenum change? Lots of other companies make those out of plastic. Check under the SLK's hood for all the plastic it has! You are also paying prices at a dealer, which is way more expensive, especially if labor is involved. Alternators sound like remanufactured ones which are highly unreliable. See my response to your post in the tech section on these very topics.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brake rotors

There is a big difference in brake rotors and some cars are very sensitive to oem. I've been through the experience of bad aftermarket rotors. Speaking of plastic parts, wasn't someone once working on a composite engine block?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I just readin Car and Driver that GM has a composite intake plenum on the new LS7 427 cube motor in the 2006 Corvette Z06, and they highlighted it as a plus. I guess it all depends how you want to look at it.

·
5,600 Posts
I would not buy a 1st year model. I would allow a year to debug and improve.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the only reason to wait is the engine options. I may buy a base 06 then upgrade after the new engine comes out. :cool

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remeber in my 1987 truck, spedometer, if the sun was sunshining the right way, it would bounce off the rear window on wash out the gauge so you could not see how was you were going.lol. They did change the design the next year.
It is little thing like that worry be abut buying a new model

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jwvrod said:
I think the only reason to wait is the engine options. I may buy a base 06 then upgrade after the new engine comes out. :cool
One word for anyone worried about this. Lease! :cheers Get a Solstice on a two year lease, and if they come out with a higher output version, upgrade at the end of the lease. If not, get another new one, or buy out the one you have.

I am planning on picking up a first model year car. If they do come out with a higher output car, I will probably upgrade a few years down the road, but probably closer to 3-4 years down as I plan on buying the Solstice and not leasing. Then again, I may not. 170 HP is likely to be plenty for me. I am sure it will be the fastest car I have ever owned as is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not worry about a high output since it will be for touring not racing.
I guess the only reason to get a HP would be to haul my big a** around.
But if I do not loss some weight I may not fit in :eek
I may have wait the year to get a Sky :jester

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
IMHO you take chances with any new model or any new model changes. I belive GM has done this one by the the numbers to get it right. I think if there are any problems they will be minor and they will be ready to fix them. I think a lot is riding on this platform just like the other product lines. Market share, market share, market share!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will buy first year

I trust GM and Pontiac enough to buy this car when it first comes out. Pontiac and GM have done a lot of testing along with lot of simulations to give you a good car in the first year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The more I look at the LA show photos, the more I wonder why the designers resorted to using those rubber protrusions part way up the windshield pillar moldings. Given how much emphasis was placed on the styling of this car, you’d think they could have come up with a better looking way to seal the windows. It gives the car a rather unfinished look. I wonder if this is something that they’ll re-engineer in later year models. Waiting for refinements (e.g. possibly a better solution for this issue) would be the main reason I’d put off jumping on a first year model. I don't think that these would be a deal breaker for me, but I am really surprised at the look of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts