Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you folks do your own tire rotation, because of the unique steps that has to be performed: lowering the tire pressure, etc, etc. Or do you take the car to a tire place to have it done? I understand my tire guy has a computer that can do this so the car reads the correct tire pressure in the specific location. What do any of you do? thanks.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
It's easy to do, so I do it myself. By the way, if you get a store to R&R the wheels for you, be sure that you recheck the lug nut torque when you get home. Those torque wrenches at Discount are used by dozens of techs, are dropped numerous times, and never checked for calibration. I always find that the lug nuts are too tight when the car leaves Discount. If you use a chinese made torque wrench (like harbor freight), throw it away and trust the Discount techs.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I do my own, always have. If you take it somewhere to get it done, check for crushed fenders when they are finished.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I just rotate them during winter changeovers. I have directional winters and the stock (god awful) Eagle RS-As.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Given the directional requirement on the tires, you can't 'rotate' them unless you demount them and swap them over to run on the other side of the car, all you can do is swap the front with the back on one side. That's not worth risking crushed fenders - better to do it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I NEVER take either of my cars to a tire shop. Both times I did it with my Sol they crushed the fenders.

If I need work done on the tires, I pull them off and transport them to the tire shop in my truck.

I get my tire rotations and reset done by our dedicated GM tech, Devin. And he does wheel alighments at the same time.

I swap tires on my Sol frequently because I have daily driver wheels and show wheels. I also wax the inside of the wheels when I swap them.

Also since its an 07 its easier.:devil:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Due to car being lowered I rotate. Lowered tip: place couple 2X6s in front of all tires, drive onto, then lift.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
We have a lot of houses for sale here. Move on down. There are even jobs here. Our mechanics and tire shops seem to know what they are doing. I don't hear these kind of complaints from anyone around here. We do have some dishonest car lots, but everyone knows them and they only get the "we tote the note business". Well that is one advantage of living in rural Texas. Large towns suck everywhere.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I do my own. Since I have a 2007 I don't have TPMS.
Ditto for me. I have a low profile floor jack, 4 jack stands if I need them. I now have directional tires...so it's just front to back for me. And I have my own torque wrench to properly torque the wheel lugs. :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts