Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Do you like the name "Solstice" for this car?

• I love the name ... it's a perfect fit for the car

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I like the name and think it's appropriate for a roadster

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • The name is OK

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • The name is too boring ... not emotional enough to describe this great roadster

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I hate the name ... it should never be a car name

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you like the name "Solstice" for this car?

I've always been somewhat disappointed with the name "Solstice" for the car and felt it just didn't bring to mind any great "car" images in my mind. For instance, when you hear the name Viper, the snake comes to mind ... you think sleek or potent. And Mustang makes you think wild, powerful, and untamed. When I think "solstice" (without thinking of the car) it just doesn't bring that emotional response. However, after CrimsonAvenger posted recently that he really liked the name, it made me wonder what everybody else thought of it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I like it. It is fine. I associate "solstice" with the sun most closely in my mind, and this IS a convertible. At least it didn't get some crap alpha-numeric designation (S2000, MR2, MX-5, 320i, CLK 320, G6, M3, etc.)

I think that it is a much better name than a certain Chevy product from a few years ago, they exported it and in the local language the name translated as "Doesn't Go".

my .02

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Well, the summer solstice is the longest day of the year ---> makes me think of a long, hot, sunny day, with myself cruising along with the top down, wind blowing through my hair, shades on, tunes playin' on the stereo...

I always thought it was a great name for a roadster, makes me want to be out on the road with the top down. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frosty, you're too fast! This thread is a poll and you you replied before I even got the poll typed in. :willy:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The Solstice has been revered since before recorded history...

For some background on the name, see the thread: FAQ: What is the astronomical meaning of Solstice?

Our ancient ancestors thought the Solstice was so important that they built observatories to make determining the precise day more reliable. Those observatories predate written history.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am happy with the name. Its fine with me. Its not the same as having an animal like Viper or Mustang that can create an instant visual, but it is better than a lot of new car names too. For example, I liked the Ford Probe as a car, but the name... well... :lol: Its also better than using yet one more alphanumeric designation. I find it hard to feel passionate about a G50 ES300 X55 QZ whatever.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
For those that don't like the name - what would YOU have named it? (and don't give me a name that's already been used, like Lightning, Sky, or a combination of letters and numbers that have some obscure meaning having to do with ancient Italian road rallies).

The All New, "True Roadster", Pontiac ____________

·
5,600 Posts
I think it is a silly name, besides being awkward to pronounce.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I like the name, but like everyone else I'm just frustrated that the delivery will be closer to the winter version than the summer one. I'm still thinking positive in hopes that the first 1000 owners all wake up to a sexy car in their driveway come June 21st. A guy can dream, can't he? :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
dengel said:
Well, the summer solstice is the longest day of the year ---> makes me think of a long, hot, sunny day, with myself cruising along with the top down, wind blowing through my hair, shades on, tunes playin' on the stereo...
True, that's not a bad image to conjure up ... certainly better than the one I was coming up with (an ancient world with a bunch of old guys sitting around Stonehenge). I don't want my new roadster getting people thinking about something old and boring, regardless of how important or historically significant it may be. Like I said ... it's not that I hate that name for a car, but I just think a fun roadster should have something that evokes a little more emotion. And Solsticeman, you have a point ... I can't come up with anything to counter with off the top of my head. It does seem that most of the great names have already been used. I'm not saying I could do any better, unfortunately ... just that I would have liked something with a bit more zing. As far as most of the alpha-numeric designations, I agree that most are pretty boring ... but the "RX-7" and "Z3" for some reason don't seem so bad to me.

And Chris ... I certainly agree with you ... the name would be a lot more tolerable if they would actually give it some significance by at least releasing some of the cars on June 21.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I'm hoping it's closer to Summer Solstice than Winter Solstice for delivery....

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I like the name. I think it denotes long days of warm air driving with the top down. I mean names like XKE, MGB and TR3 have already been taken. :lol:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Our ancient ancestors thought the Solstice was so important that they built observatories to make determining the precise day more reliable. Those observatories predate written history.
And they would wait all year for the big event to take place, just like this Solstice!

I like "Solstice" as well as "Cobalt" and also am very glad they didn't give either some alpha/ numeric moniker like the G6, HHR, and every other new car GM's come up with recently (except for the La Cross and we know what that means in Canada)

·
Registered
9 Posts
"solstice"

Pontiac was a real indian of some reknown so pontiac cars had an indian head hood ornament, some even glowed in the dark! ( translucent with it's own little lite bulb) there were Chiefs , Chieftains & various other iterations of the indian culture. therefore i submit that the kappa car would make a wonderful "Brave" i worked on those cars when they were new. oldfrt who drives a 64 stingray

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its true that Pontiac used to take more advantage of its Indian name by playing off of it in its model names. However, its probably too politically incorrect these days for them to try and do it now. In a day and age when there is pressure on pro sports teams to remove Native American symbols and names for their teams, and many colleges have already done so, I doubt GM would try it.

If I were to name a sports car, I'd chose Valkyrie. Not necessarily because of its meaning, but because I like how it sounds, and think it sounds appropriate for a sports car. Maybe that is because the Air Force used to have a supersonic bomber prototype by the same name. By the dictionary, a Valkyrie is a female spirit who brings souls of slain warriors to Valhalla. Of course, using that definition may fit the car in that it has sleek, curving lines. However, it could make people think its a "chick car" too. (The horror!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I were to choose a name, that probably would not have been it. But the name is good. Solstice reminds of the changing of a season... or perhaps the dawning of a new age.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Solstice - longest\shortest days\nights
Could be longest nights waiting to drive during the day, or longest days at work waiting to drive it at night. It all depends on your perspective. I cant wait to see the moon and stars! (Please no new smilies based on that comment) ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Frosty said:
I like it. It is fine. I associate "solstice" with the sun most closely in my mind, and this IS a convertible. At least it didn't get some crap alpha-numeric designation (S2000, MR2, MX-5, 320i, CLK 320, G6, M3, etc.)

I think that it is a much better name than a certain Chevy product from a few years ago, they exported it and in the local language the name translated as "Doesn't Go".

my .02
Great point on the alpha-numeric names of cars these days. :agree:
Should have been named "Wow! What's That?" You'll be hearing that a lot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts