Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing a flood damaged car, gathering a list of things I need to buy. I have no desire to on-star back into this car, but there is some communcation with the bcm/ecm from the wiring schematics. Obviously this is needed to send signals out, but i'm wondering if theres anything that keeps the car from working if this module is just not installed.

FYI, its the module under the center console kinda where your elbow sits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm did some searching, looks like the onstar module is more than just onstar, the VCIM. Bad things happen if you remove it...

Kinda suspected... but was hoping not have to buy one.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Actually, I don't believe you need the VCIM per se, but it does route wires between the harnesses that plug into it. So, in theory, you could replace with a cross connect.

That's based on threads I read a while ago on aftermarket Bluetooth module replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, the information I found was from a c6 corvette, i just assumed they have similar functions between the car.

Too late now I guess, already bought a new/used ecm,bcm,vcim, and bcm wiring pigtails.

So far the car is the opppsite of what I was suspecting. I was thinking new engine for sure, but somehow no water seemed to get into the engine, even though it got high enough to get into the air duct vents. Water level stopped somewhere somewhere in the air box.

So the engine should be good, but its little things that are going to need replaced. The entire interior was able to be cleaned, seat covers were taken off and washed. Carpet and seat covers almost look brand new.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Be especially careful of the connectors to the ECM (make sure they are clean and dielectric greased). Also, that harness has an interim connector further up the wiring, over on the fuse-block side of the bay, which others have had issues with, so disassemble that and clean/grease too. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah,

I got electrical contact cleaner and ill grease them up make sure they dont corrode any further. The BCM connectors were the only ones that were really bad since they were basically sitting in water, I end up replacing all the connectors.

If I get around too it maybe ill throw up a build thread, kinda interesting with how much water was in the car. I have 4 races in the next 4 months though, so time on this car will depend on not breaking or rolling haha which is always a good possibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts