Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

COULD THIS BE WHERE G.M. GOT THE IDEA?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Yes, they got the idea from the 53-55 vette, BUT not intentionally. It just happened that way and reflects on what for the time was a great little roadster that has now grown into a Viper-killer. The original Corvette made Ford so scared that they changed the T-bird from a sports car into a personal luxury car. The specifications are very similar except for the Blue Flame special 6 cylinder, but at a time when V8 was being crowned king and compared to the current reign of V6, then powerplants are the same. The big difference other than body-on-frame compared to unibody and body material was the 2 speed PowerGlide in the vette. ACtually not that bad of a tranny and would be good for attracting stick-challenged drivers. I had this combo, PowerGlide and iteration of BlueFlame in my 1970 Camaro and it was alot of fun.

See attached for similarity of top operation (which was a major complaint) These I've posted before but your poll begs for them to be seen again, along with the photoshopped nomad-solstice (not mine, give credit where due)_to see what a Chevy version would look like if we ever let them get their grubby little... I digress, we'll swap a little excess Opel production to Chevy for a few US spec Pursuit GXP. (240hp, AWD, SUbaru beater)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I really don't think the Solstice styling that influencd that much by American cars. The Solstice to me looks far more like an American interpritation of the British Roadsters from back in the day.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I'm in the design business and I can say with confidance that unless you are going to design a car, a building, a toaster or a hair dryer under a concept that never existied before, then there will always be similar characteristics to a previous design. It's based upon engineering possibilities, and limitations, materials and end usage. I'm glad there are similar traits between the Solstice and earlier vehicles, that is telling me that GM isn't going to try to retrain me to drive with a joy stick but instead they will let me enjoy new technology in a nostalgic recognizable package.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Miata Man said:
GM isn't going to try to retrain me to drive with a joy stick but instead they will let me enjoy new technology in a nostalgic recognizable package.
Back in the sixties all the manufacturers had various attempts at replacing the traditional steering wheel. They had twin dials on the steering wheel, wheels beside the seat, don't remember joysticks but I have a collection of MI and PM from back then.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I can't speak for Miata Man, but I read an article where auto mfgs are looking at different ways of attracting buyers. One thing they are looking at is replacing the steering wheel with a joy stick because all the up and coming teenagers are playing electronic games and have good utilization skills with a joy stick. I also believe they did a study and that age group would prefer to use a joy stick vs. steering wheel. I don't know how they could determine if one was better than the other because they aren't of legal driving age...but, you get the point - they have experience and good motor skills with they joystick.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
I can't speak for Miata Man, but I read an article where auto mfgs are looking at different ways of attracting buyers. One thing they are looking at is replacing the steering wheel with a joy stick because all the up and coming teenagers are playing electronic games and have good utilization skills with a joy stick. I also believe they did a study and that age group would prefer to use a joy stick vs. steering wheel. I don't know how they could determine if one was better than the other because they aren't of legal driving age...but, you get the point - they have experience and good motor skills with they joystick.
So excellent Halo players will be better drivers? :willy:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Lutz said this was his updated design of the classic roadster. A classic roadster would have to be European, wouldn't it? Sure the US had some great cars, the corvette included, but I think of Porches and Jags.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
waiting said:
I remember reading somewhere that Lutz said this was his updated design of the classic roadster. A classic roadster would have to be European, wouldn't it? Sure the US had some great cars, the corvette included, but I think of Porches and Jags.
THE roadster that started this all in the US was the MGTC the troops brought home. clamshell fenders, upright grille, no trunk. It does have a little MGA in it and some XK120, AC Ace.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fortimir said:
But the money-value equivilency is like 60k+... (20k was a LOT more to people back then even beyond the inflation values).
Other way around, 53 vette was like 3K or something when it came out so that adjusts to today's 20k

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
mceb said:
Other way around, 53 vette was like 3K or something when it came out so that adjusts to today's 20k
I'm saying:

If you adjust $3,000 for inflation, it comes out to almost $20,000 in pure-adjusted monitary units.

But, there is a money-value adjustment as well. $20,000 ($3,000) back then was not what $20,000 is today. There is an additional value multiplier (it's actually like 5.4).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortimir said:
But the money-value equivilency is like 60k+... (20k was a LOT more to people back then even beyond the inflation values).
No, that's taking into account inflation, devaluation etc. If the 53 vette as compared to rest of GM lineup were freshly out today it would be spot on where the Solstice is. Back in 50's the average annual income was about $3500 (or maybe less) The annual income was aboutr equal to the price of fullsize family car. Today a lot of people make more but the average is still in low 20's which is still equivalent to full size family car. 60k is where the cars like vette and viper have approached. But that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
pfoster35 said:
I have to agree with brentil. The inspiration seems to be a British Roadster. Just look at this article from Car and Driver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8119&page_number=1
The Solstice is displayed in front of 4 of them.
I would consider the Solstice a modern upgrade of my MGB.
Welcome to the forums!!!
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about that image. The Solstice to me is the rediscovery of the British Roadster.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts