Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i almost bought a dodge srt-4 last nite but at the last minute i thought of the solstice... i would kick my self in the butt if i did not wait it out....any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
They are such different cars that one is not a replacement for the other. If you are looking just for a fast car I would probably get the Dodge. It will probably be some time before the Solstice gets that fast. If you want a stylish and very cool car that stands out, wait for the Solstice.

Sounds like you're dying to buy a new car right now, and don't want to wait one more year. If you do buy now this is what I'll guess will happen. A year from now, when you're tottaly used to zipping around in the Dodge, the new car smell will have worn off, it's perhaps got its first dings, your stuff is all over inside and everyone is used to you having it, it's then that you'll see us picking up our new Soltices and see how cool they look at the stop light, and how they turn people's heads, and you'll say to yourself "Damb! I shoulda waited.", even though you could easily take us in a drag race.

I am totaly biased, but the Solstice is one of the best looking sports cars in the world that is available to the masses, and IMHO the Dodge SRT 4 is pretty much a buget hot rod that's built on a rather forgetable 4 door sedan. How cool can a Neon be? But then again I am an old geezer with the out of date notion that 4 door sedans are not proper material for sportscars. I just really think you should wait, because if you buy now, and I'm right and you do want a Solstice later, you're wallet's going to get punished during the trade. Besides, the SRT will no doubt be around a year from now, and you can decide then. A year's not all that long. :cheers

·
Registered
535 Posts
If all that matters to you is cheap and easy speed out of the box then grab the SRT4. While I wouldn't be embarrassed to own the SRT and it is what it is, I would never be "proud" of my SRT. Totally different driving experiences.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Important questions: Do you need the extra space? Then get the SRT. But wouldn't you rather have a roadster? I also was very tempted by the SRT4. Had already decided to sell the rear wing and badges and have a very fast sleeper. But I don't need any more tickets and going fast is all the SRT excels at. So, for the first time, I've decided to go with the slower, showier car. Just looks like more fun in the long run. And the expected performance of the Solstice will still be better than a normal Neon. It all has to do with "Fun to drive." In an open car, even when your getting your but kicked by a four doored compact, you smile 'cuz feel like your going fast enough. And something that is more probable in a Solstice than a SRT is having a young lady ask about your car. That greatly improves the "Driving Experience".

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
And something that is more probable in a Solstice than a SRT is having a young lady ask about your car. That greatly improves the "Driving Experience".
Exactly! Can't imagine too many women getting very excited about a 4 door Neon! (Unless they want to bring thier kids along.) Get the Solstice. :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It depends in what you need in a car, and what you want in a car. If you want blazing speed, your not going to be happy with a Solstice. However, I bet the Solstice will be more fun to drive, even without the neck snapping acceleration of the SRT-4. If you want or need lots of trunk room, and/or a back seat, the Solstice will not meet your needs.

On the other hand, if you don’t want a vehicle that is loud inside all the time, the SRT-4 may not be for you. If like a more relaxed driving experience and not feeling like your car is “on the edge” all the time, the SRT-4 may become tiresome. Also, if you don’t like street races, you may find that the SRT-4 draws unwanted competition next to it at stoplights.

As a daily driver, I am not sure many people would want a Solstice. Its not going to have much cargo room, or people hauling room. Its really not the most practical of daily drivers. It can be for some people, but not many. On the other hand, the SRT-4 is a car that is somewhat out on the edge of high performance, especially for a 4 door econo-box, and it drives like it too. Because of that, I am not sure it’s a great daily driver either, although it certainly is more practical than the Solstice.

It all depends on what your needs and expectations are.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I was going to say something...

then I have changed my mind. Then I changed it again and hit the "post reply" button and here I am.

My only contribution to this thread:

Look at a picture of the neon.

Now look at a Solstice

'nuff said.

·
Registered
281 Posts
solsticeman said:
I was going to say something...

then I have changed my mind. Then I changed it again and hit the "post reply" button and here I am.

My only contribution to this thread:

Look at a picture of the neon.

Now look at a Solstice

'nuff said.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
wezzrocks said:
That picture of the solstice is different than mine, The grills gold and window tan, and the front wheel looks crooked. :crazy
Your picture also has the infamous hood crease. We had a thread a while ago that went on about that crease. Pontiac played a little in photoshop too, as I think these are both factory photo releases of the same car. I don't know, there are so many photochops of this car, I'm not sure any more.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think Pontiac was playing some photoshop tricks. The hood crease definately was not on the '04 production car shown at the Detroit Auto Show. The pictures I took at the show definately do not show any crease in the hood. If I think of it tomorrow, I will resize a couple to upload. Right now their file size is too big. The grill on the car was also silver.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Those images with the crease might also be from a clay or foam model that just happened to have them in it.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Since we are off topic, I'll respond... but I've said my piece on the StDodoge SRT-4crimonysakes...

The pic of the car on the pontiac site is (I'm told by "deep throat 2", one of my major inside sources) likely a photo of a non-running, styling finalization buck. It is, in all appearance, accurate at the time of the photo, which pre-dated later production changes.

The crease in the hood is probably either :

a) an artifact from photo symmetry. This is where they had two versions of styling changes on each side of the styling buck (like a proposal 1 and proposal 2 with two different hood heights and headlamps, for example). To create a picture of the whole of one of the versions, they just photochop and symmetrize (if that's a word) the picture into a whole vehicle.

or

b) some designer "detail" that they attempted to insert at the last minute but did not make the production skin

or

c) (least likely) the photo was created from a smaller 1/4 or 1/6 scale version of the car. These models are made in halves, against a mirror, and usually are done on the driver's side. If you want to get an idea of how photogenic the car looks, just take a picture of model, but remember to remove the resulting "crease" created from the mirror reflection.

The grey pic with the super-negative camber front wheel is a picture of the same car we've seen at auto shows and the dream cruise, likely taken when the car was finished but before it got properly aligned. The front wheel does look pretty stupid.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for the info on the possible source for the crease. :thumbs So I take it by those choices that we can most likely not expect to see the crease on the final production vehicle, barring any surprises.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There are a lot of images of the production model. All the edmunds.com images are production model images. Plus all the images GreatWhiteNorth posted over [HERE] are from the woodward dream cruise when he saw it in person..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts