Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have any 1/4 mile sheets, please post them here. I haven't gotten my car yet and I'm really interested to see what she can do. Please list if you have any modifications done as well.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
jerzkid said:
If you have any 1/4 mile sheets, please post them here. I haven't gotten my car yet and I'm really interested to see what she can do. Please list if you have any modifications done as well.
A car simply cannot be judged solely for its ¼ mile performance. The wheel is installed for a reason. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excelsior said:
A car simply cannot be judged solely for its ¼ mile performance. The wheel is installed for a reason. :)
I know this. I am just curious to see what she can do in the flats. There is no road track around here, so I will have to deal with the 1/4

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am not sure why you are so interested in this data. It will be disappointing. Its a corner carver.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not expecting 12's or 13's, and I know the car is made for turns. But after all the reviews I have read and how much they have varied (almost a full second) I just want some solid data. I don't expect anything lower than mid 15's

·
Registered
527 Posts
Excelsior said:
And it cannot be judged without out it, either...

silversolstice said:
I am not sure why you are so interested in this data. It will be disappointing. Its a corner carver.
This is the area of the forum known as "Solstice Performance Discussion". If you can't figure out why we would be interested in this data, you need to wander back to the General Discussion area...

I'm interested in what numbers people are running too. It might be too late in the season for most people to get to a track though. Hopefully somebody can at least throw up some G-Tech numbers.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Any Mallett numbers yet? I'm guessing 12.2 in the 1/4, anybody else want to make a guess?

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could probably manage a lot better times just by getting rid of those oversized rims. Dropping down to a 17 would probably help a great deal from less rotational mass. And if the overal rim/tire diamter was kept, then it would expand the traction patch longitudinally as well. Alternately, keeping the same aspect ratio (45, right?) and a tune to reflect the overall diameter change would reduce rotational mass even more.

Not to mention it would look better not having oversized rims on it. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
bradyb said:
Any Mallett numbers yet? I'm guessing 12.2 in the 1/4, anybody else want to make a guess?
I'm seeing 12.4 for the Z51 C6. That's +50HP and about -320lbs compared to our cars. So a futher weight reduction of probably another 200lbs or more would dip it into the 11s I would think. Afterall, we're running about 13.4 (average) stock with good drivers in great conditions able to see 12.9.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Yeah but what about traction, doesn't the C6 have 305s or 315s on it? I wonder what the fattest tire is that you can fit on the Sol? The horsepower should be the same with Mallett installing the same exact motor that the Z51 has.

Fun things to the contemplate ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
285s. Just checked GM's site. (245 in front) But they are 35 series tires in back (40 up front). This limits traction patch longitudinally. So the 245/45s on the Solstice will come damn close in traction patch. And, less weight means less traction needed.

The WS6 has 275/45 all around. Not sure about the SS, but I assume the same.

It's a damn scary thought. I'd bet the LS2 Solstice will get damn near the same traction, when you factor in weight differential, as our cars, with a better P:W ratio.

Actually, it's kinda surprising just how close our cars are to the Z51 C6. I'd bet with the aspect ratio differences, we may have practically the same (or dang close) traction patchesm and certainly more up front. The big thing holding us back is crappy shocks and alignment with less than optimal sway bars.

And now the Soltice comes along and is also surprisingly close.

I'm tellin' ya, it's the Pontiac Corvette. :D

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I agree, a loaded $45,000 Mallett LS2 Solstice would look just as good or better then a base C6.

Aftermarket sway bars, shocks and springs will all be available soon to turn the Solstic into a G machine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the feedback on this, but I fear most of you have missed the idea of this thread. I am looking for solid data from Solstice OWNERS. I have read the reviews, now I want to see how accurate they are. I think Road and Track is WAY off, with their time of 15.8. I'm looking for everthing like this:

Temp
R/T
60'
330'
1/8 mile
990'
1/4 time
1/4 MPH

That is the standard format of the slip they give drivers. I'm just curious to see if anyone has pushed a stock one enough to break into the 14 second range. I ho0nestly believe that it can be done, and if no one has yet, I vow to be the one to prove it. Remember, street class drag racing isn't about beating your opponent, it's about beating yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I think all the drag strips i the north are closed til spring so accurate results will have to come from south and west.

Tips that are used with GrandPrix's to lower e.t. include removing left headlight to allow unrestricted airflow with cooler air to intake, also turning off the TCS makes a big difference. "Clutchless" speed shifting when executed properly will lower times but also lower the life of internal parts. That technique is better left to motorcycles and professionals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 02 WS6 has a W:p ratio of about 10lbs/hp to run times of about 13.4 average (with absolutely ideal conditions allowing a dip to the 12.9s), the Z51 C6's is 7.95 and runs about 12.4 on average. The Solstice, stock, has about 16.16lbs/hp.

If an decrease of just over 2lbs/hp allowed for a second to be shaved, why would you think that an increase of just over 6lbs/hp would allow a mere second slower time?

I'd say that the mag times are definitely reasonable. Like with the WS6, the only way to shave that .3 seconds would probably be with expert drivers, but also in absolutely ideal conditions. IOW, not something that 99.9999999% of the owners would be able to manage.

(Also, the WS6 and Z51 are traction limited. I don't see that being as much of a problem for the Solstice)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here's my thoughts for keeping her stock, but making her as fast as possible.

1. Remove the Passenger seat
2. Remove the Front left Headlight to allow airflow
3. Remove any loose articles (frome the tire kit to the stuff in the glove box)
4. Add slicks and skinnies (not EXACTLY stock, but not changing HP while increasing traction)
5. Add K&N highflow air filter
6. High octane Gasoline

I honestly believe that the car is capable of 14.9's without these mods, and you may be able to shave another 1/2 a second by doing these.

PS: Weight is a very big issue here. This car is already light, but it's only got a 2.4. If you drop a couple pounds here and there, I think she will definately be competitive with a lot of imports. I'm not saying mustangs and Camaro's, more like the 350z and the Civic SI. Then again, the Camaro RS (v6) only runs a 16.1.....

1 - 20 of 58 Posts