Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
A couple weeks ago my check engine light would come on and off sporadically at startup. I got the code read, and it was thought by the guys at O’Rileys to be either a CAM shaft position sensor, or an oxygen sensor of sorts. I pulled my engine cover off recently to see a hose cut clean off on the top of the engine. No idea why or how this could have happened. The car had been running fine, and still is, but I would obviously like to know what the hose is so I can order a replacement one and get it squared away. Any help in identifying what it is would be very appreciated. The splatter around the hose btw has been there since I got the car, long before the hose got severed.

I threw some electrical tape on it just momentarily so I could get home. I know that’s not a good permanent fix. I noticed the hose went in to a bigger hose that led to the air intake/throttle body, but I didn’t know what this off shoot was. I’m new to cars, sorry if this is something obvious.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts
That hose connects the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilator) to the air intake you can take the hose to any hardware store for a length of the same ID replacement hose for about a buck, or to your favorite auto replacement part s place for 2 to 3 times as much. There's nothing special about it.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Like dave says, A piece of hose and you are back in business. If i remember right, that hose is a little larger on one end than the other but I found something generic at auto zone that worked for me for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I dont think thats the pcv hose, but rather a fresh air hose to let fresh air into the engine, the pcv is usually into the intake..but i could be rong as I have been a few times in my life.and this is a gm so....replace the hose,I replaced mine, no pcv valve in it. as for the code it threw it probably needs camshaft accuators..list the code it threw and we may steer you one way or the other. camshaft accuators are a quick fix and inexpensive. around $20-30 for both off flebay, the sensor code is the sensor telling you there is somethen rong and the aera it is going rong in. you may also have a broken or dead left side motor mount(could be right side too) that could break that hose. eazy way to check is upon acceleration is top see if the shiftier moves left to right. it shouldent( manual trans cars). when your done fixing it go have fun. mine ran a lot better and better mpg after the accuator/silly noids change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. Thanks guys! $2 for a foot of new hose at the auto parts store. Told them it was probably a PCV but didn't know for sure. It fit on and was rated for PCV or fuel line. No problems and it's very rigid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts