Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing that most people with convertibles don't have the top down. So I did my own survey. I drive approx 15 miles each way to work & 15 miles home every day. I started counting the convertibles on the road each way to and from work. On the average I spot approx 14 to 24 convertibles any given day, each way to and from work, which is 15 miles each way. Only 3 to 6 of those convertibles have their tops down (I conduct the survey only on nice days). Why would you buy a convertible and not use it. These people have the top up and the air on. I think most people buy a convertible because they think it's cool and use it a couple of times and find out that it's not for them and don't put the top down as much.

I think convertibles are only useful in certain states where the climate is nice the majority of the year, otherwise it not practicable. So when producing a car you should let the public have a choice of either a hardtop or a convertible. GM did not think this out by producing only a convertible and not offering a hardtop from the beginning.

·
Registered
936 Posts
One thing could be that some tops are not that easy to operate if you include putting the boot on and off. So if these people are on their way to and from work they may not think it is worth the effort. I have a convertible that is for pleasure only ( about 1500 mi per yr) and I leave the top down all summer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I'm dictator anyone driving a convertible with the top up on a nice day will have it confiscated on the spot. ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Top Down Weather

I currently drive a Sebring convertible,and my "comfort zone" for top down driving is roughly from 70°F to 90°F. That means: top up in winter, down in spring and fall, and down for the morning drive to work in the summer. With afternoon temperatures over 100°F for the last few weeks, it's definitely been top up with the AC running as hard as it can.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
This summer has been blazingly hot and humid in PA (as I'm sure you know). Several days I've seen 100% humidity and it wasn't raining.

I try to run TD as much as possible but I'm not a masochist, when your driving at 40+ MPH and there is no cooling effect, it's time for top up, AC on.

But there is also a percentage of people where you do have to wonder why they bought a convertible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I used to own a Triumph TR7 and unless it was raining or below ~50 degrees F, the top was down. Of course, I didn't have a working AC, so I didn't have much of a choice, but I probably would have gone top down most of the time anyway.

-CTodd

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
One of my employees has a Sebring convertable and the top is always up! :cuss:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wife wanted a convertable so bad, last five years and the Solstice not coming as soon as she wanted, we purchased a Sebring for her to drive. If it is not raining she has the top down. She does not understand driving with it up. I took a long time buying her the Sibring, but now I am happy because it means that this will be her winter car and the Solstice does not have to be out in bad weather. Also the main reason is it will mean I will be able to drive the Solstice more, because she needs some truck space for her job on many days and the Solstice would not work for her on those days.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Dad has a Lexus SC430 convertible...weekends and evenings are almost always top down, no matter what the temperature. But during the week/daytimes, he is usually wearing a suit and tie, and even if he's kind of casual dress you still don't want to show up for work or an appointment with your hair a mess and sweat stains on your back. So, if you pass him during the day you'd think he was one of those that never uses the top, but really he tries to have it down as much as possible.

I think this is the case with a lot of people. However, it does seem like I've noticed similar results on the weekends where the weather is beautiful and I just want to scream at the driver! Why would you buy a convertible (especially of a car that has a hartop version such as the Solara, Corvette, 911, etc.) and not have the top down on a nice day?!?!

You can rest assured that since mine will be a nice weather/pleasure vehicle you will probably never see it with the top up unless I got caught in some bad weather or I was letting the top dry after I washed it :cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
this car will be my husbands and i think he will have the top down as much as possible. I get easily sunburned and am looking forward to the top down on nice evenings.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Top up on the Solstice when I'm driving means it's raining or snowing.Cold is why they put a heater in.Top up on a day without rain is comparable to wearing a rainsuit on a sunnyday.Think about it???? :rolleyes: :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
this will be my second convertible...first roadster.....ran a 95 Lebaron in Hawaii for three years..the top was never up...only in the few downpours we would get in the afternoon....but no matter the distance driven..the top came down...was parked under a canopy cover at night..so top was up for that reason.....but otherwise.......it was topless......

though the second car....the Solstice will have its top down most of the time as well....unless the temp gets under 50.......I have done the jacket gloves and heater before......draw the line at having to wear gloves and driving!!!!!!

shirt and tie on...top comes down..but agree with the sweat stains through the dress shirt!!!...but after worked headed home....tie off.....and feeling the wind in your hair!!!..yea baby!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
solsticeman said:
There is the spouse-w/-long-hair factor, too.

it is technically her car....GRIN...but she has already bought her solstice hat and will wear the hair up for her topless adventures......Bigger Grin :devil: ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
One thing you have to consider is that, like everything, once you've done it for a while, it's not always the thrill that it was in the beginning. Not to say that it's still not fun, just not something you'll necessarily want to do every day. I still run with the top down a lot, but there are times that I want to drive the Malibu cause it's fun to drive, but I just don't feel like messing with the top. I'm sure that will happen with my Solstice, too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Just remember that what appears to be a nice day is not always a nice day for convertable driving.

For instance...

Middle of the afternoon. The sun will broil your skin and fry you like an egg. (I of course mean on fairly warm days, say above 85 degrees). If I am driving down the road, sitting in a pool of my own sweat, and developing a good sun burn, I am not enjoying myself. Yeah, I have gotten out the sunscreen at times, but that is not always a viable option since I don't always want to arrive at my destination sweaty and smelling like sunscreen.

Windy days. I find when the winds get above 15 MPH, driving top down can also become a nuissance. The wind noise and turbulance in the cabin increases noticably. If the wind is blowing crosswase to the road, dirt and dust from other cars gets kicked up and blown into the cab. I have also felt gusts bad enough to distort my vision breefly on really windy days. Again, no fun. Top up, AC on is definately more fun.

If you are heading out on a date, to a business meeting, taking the wife to dinner, meeting someone out, or any other social event that you want to get to without smelling or looking a little discheveled, you will have the top up and AC on warmer days too.

My perfect top down weather is between 68 and 80 degrees, light breezes, before 1 PM or after 6 PM so there is no direct sunlight from overhead. I very much like driving with the top down at night too, but there cannot be much humidity or everything in the cabin gets sticky to the touch from dew (and I find that unpleasant too).

Besides, on a car like the Sol, you should be able to have plenty of fun driving it with the top up or down. Even top up, it should be a fun to drive, very well handling sports car. :)

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
There's the guy with hair factor as well, or is that just in LA.....?

darn all those actors! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
solsticeman said:
That's why you leave one of those hair scrunchy things in the glove box. :thumbs: No hair blowing around! It's the short haired girls that give you the hardest time. For them, only a hat will do.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's not the heat, it's the humidity

LBJay said:
This summer has been blazingly hot and humid in PA (as I'm sure you know). Several days I've seen 100% humidity and it wasn't raining.
:agree: I added AC to my order precisely because of the weather we have been experiencing in the EAST since early June (also around the time people started to get really edgy about the delivery dates slipping).

Today for example started out at 22C (72F) but with 89% humidity feels like 29C (84F) and by this afternoon is supposed to be 32C(90F) and feel like 40C(104F) with the risk of severe thunderstorms. So top down this AM, but up this PM and if you get lazy, leave it up given the forecast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts