Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep getting notices about GM's OnStar. Have not had a GM vehicle since the horrible, terrible, no good, very bad 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. Does anyone use this? Any Advantages/benefits?:crying:

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
I have it for the wife's cars. It notifies in case of an accident and has phone connectivity in case of emergency.

I had it in other cars but since everyone went to a cell phone, its utility as a communication device is pretty low.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I have it on my Chebby truck. Cell phone connected via Bluetooth. Phone controls on steering wheel. Love it. Also have your own phone number for car...good for if you leave cell phone at home.

Lose/misplace your keys, or lock keys in car...call Onstar and they unluck your car.

Onstar app on cell phone. Many helpful things there.

More tasks available.

Of course it ain't free!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I use it. If your car is stolen, they can track it, provided they don't rip the onstar module out. You can have them diagnose a CEL. You can get directions, make dinner reservations, etc. You also get a vehicle health check sent once a month to your email address. Some insurance companies (Progresive I think) will give you a discount for using onstar because it accurately tracks your miles.

EDIT: Careful because some of the items mentioned in this post are for the latest version of onstar.... Our cars have second to last generation. There is no web support, no Bluetooth connectivity, no apps, no remote start, etc that the current version boasts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a free very basic On-Star service that includes monthly system checks and maintenance notifications. Just received a letter from them. Good for 3-5 years. Look into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
when I wanted it, it was of no use to me.

During the times of the ignition switch troubles,
my key was stuck in the on position.
The car was running.

I quickly signed up for the promo, and then asked them to turn off my car.
They could not.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My original Solstice GXP came with a one year free trial. About week 50, I was headed in to work. I was stopped at a stop light. A guy with a suspended license in a stolen Dodge Ram 4x4 making a drug run tried making a right had turn too quickly. He was not successful. Instead, he went across a median and hit me in the left front. My car spun about 120 degrees. The spin was hard enough that I wound up with a dent in the door from the rear bumper on the truck. The airbags never deployed. The car was actually drivable, but the frame was twisted ever so slightly in the front. Thus the car was totaled. A week later, I got a letter from GM asking if I wanted to extend my OnStar. Needless to say, their crash detection is not that good on these cars.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My original Solstice GXP came with a one year free trial. About week 50, I was headed in to work. I was stopped at a stop light. A guy with a suspended license in a stolen Dodge Ram 4x4 making a drug run tried making a right had turn too quickly. He was not successful. Instead, he went across a median and hit me in the left front. My car spun about 120 degrees. The spin was hard enough that I wound up with a dent in the door from the rear bumper on the truck. The airbags never deployed. The car was actually drivable, but the frame was twisted ever so slightly in the front. Thus the car was totaled. A week later, I got a letter from GM asking if I wanted to extend my OnStar. Needless to say, their crash detection is not that good on these cars.
Airbags must deploy or a certain g-force must occure for crash detection to work. Colorado, what do you want to know specifically about onstar. I went through their entire 3 week training class back in 2013 for a position only to find out that I was not getting the position I was hired for, but instead I was being put on the customer service desk for vehicle calls, so I walked away. But in that 3 week period, I learned everything there was to know about onstar...including the fact that GM was supposed to reintroduce Pontiac in 2016 or 2017. We were accidentally shown a confidential slide about which vehicles use which gen onstar systems and Pontiac was on there for 2016 and 2017 with a '?' after each year and then every year up to 2020, which was the end of planning for all models at that point. But with the ignition recall, I think it's now a mute point. Sorry, off on a tangent there.... Just let me know what you want to know Colorado. If I don't know the answer, I have some friends that work directly for onstar, so I can get the answer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Keep getting notices about GM's OnStar. Have not had a GM vehicle since the horrible, terrible, no good, very bad 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. Does anyone use this? Any Advantages/benefits?:crying:
Well, it's just like any insurance, you don't really need it -- until you really need it.

I store my '09 GXP for the winter, get basic OnStar service for the summer driving season. Good for lock out, theft, running out of gas, medical issues, accidents, etc. Fortunately I have not had to use it for any of these, but it's nice from a "peace of mind" viewpoint.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Actually, you can pay for it only if you need it.
Most of us have cell phones which largely take the place of Onstar, so we let our subscriptions expire.

If you ever slide into a ditch and have no phone, hit the button for Onstar and tell them you want to re-up for the minimum period, and BTW, can they send a wrecker to pick you up.

I hit the button once by mistake long after my free period had expired and instantly got a person on the other end

·
Registered
143 Posts
Twice a got into my car and saw the red light on like someone was listening
And no I'm not a conspicey nut

The one time they said I must have pushed the button when I know I didn't

If they would let me just get 6 months a year I would get it from may thru -oct
Just incase

·
Registered
256 Posts
Airbags must deploy or a certain g-force must occure for crash detection to work.
I agree that criteria have to be met for it to detect a crash. That's the point. You can be in a significant crash, and On Star will not call to check on you.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ghost, but right now I'm like Donald Rumsfeld. "I don't know what I don't know" about OnStar ... so I will have to look into it a bit more to ask intelligent questions.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Nope, no On Star, and still no cell phone...
If you're worried about keeping your identity to a minimum, too late. Especially if you own a computer and surf the internet. With the bill Congress just silently passed on Wednesday, your ISP can sell any browsing information they obtain to anyone that wants to buy it. So any unsecured, public sites. For those that don't know, a secured site will start with https. It will have the 's' denoting secured. Sooooo......VPN from home, here I come.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
If you're worried about keeping your identity to a minimum, too late. Especially if you own a computer and surf the internet. With the bill Congress just silently passed on Wednesday, your ISP can sell any browsing information they obtain to anyone that wants to buy it. So any unsecured, public sites. For those that don't know, a secured site will start with https. It will have the 's' denoting secured. Sooooo......VPN from home, here I come.
Deleted for political rant, and I don't want this thread to go in that direction. Suffice is to say I don't have a cell phone for financial reason, along w/still having a landline.

Now back to the On Star discussion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts