Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not this owner had some light scratches on his rear bumper so he decided that 400 grit sand paper and steel wool would clean it up nicely for him, NOT!!!! You can see the damage he did to his car. This is why my detailing classes are so popular, people are clueless on how to take proper care of their car. I did manage to bring some life back to it with the folllowing steps.
High speed rotary/yellow pad 1800RPM's heavy compound
High speed green pad 1400RPM's medium compound
DA Dewalt443 green pad light cleaner
DAPC tan pad polish
DAPC tan pad my paint cleaner
paint seal by hand
As you can see you have to start off with more aggressive product, then work your way down, till you find out where you are improving the finish. Most of the clear coat is gone here because of what he did. Gary Perfect Auto Finish/Owner

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
you HAVE to be joking! What was he expecting it to do!??!

EDIT: Sorry, Just wanted to say you did a really good job fixing that up!

·
Registered
249 Posts
It looks clean now. :cuss:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yea, I had a guy trade a car in with scratches all over the hood. He said he had tree sap on the hood, and tried to remove it with a brillo pad and some soap. The funny part was, he didn't think it should effect the value of his trade in!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
People are really crazy. My father repainted a guys car (many years ago). When the guy picked up the car my Dad told him not to take it to a pressure type car wash for a month. The guy left the body shop and went directly to a car wash. As soon as he started the pressure wash he blew some of the fresh enamel off of the car. Instead of stopping he continued to wash the car. By the time he was done he had blown off about 25% of the fresh paint. He brought the car back and said the paint "fell" off of his car. It was still wet when he brought it back. He actually thought my Dad would believe him about the paint falling off. After a long discussion, the guy agreed to pay the cost of a new paint job, but was not too happy. Some people just aren't wrapped too tight.

·
Registered
518 Posts
turbomangt said:
Believe it or not this owner had some light scratches on his rear bumper so he decided that 400 grit sand paper and steel wool would clean it up nicely for him, NOT!!!! You can see the damage he did to his car. This is why my detailing classes are so popular, people are clueless on how to take proper care of their car. I did manage to bring some life back to it with the folllowing steps.
DAPC tan pad polish
paint seal by hand
As you can see you have to start off with more aggressive product, then work your way down, till you find out where you are improving the finish. Most of the clear coat is gone here because of what he did. Gary Perfect Auto Finish/Owner

Wow thats just plain wrong. Over the years in I have spent in the car repair buisness, I can recall some pretty weird things owners do with their cars. But one of the strangest is from an old hippie friend of mine. He drives older Fiat Spiders and cooks on his engine. He will prepare something at home, wrap it in tin foil, and set it on the engine, then drive 15 miles, where a few of us meet on weekends to talk cars, and presto the food is done. He is actually quite a good cook though.

·
Registered
976 Posts
windface said:
Wow thats just plain wrong. Over the years in I have spent in the car repair buisness, I can recall some pretty weird things owners do with their cars. But one of the strangest is from an old hippie friend of mine. He drives older Fiat Spiders and cooks on his engine. He will prepare something at home, wrap it in tin foil, and set it on the engine, then drive 15 miles, where a few of us meet on weekends to talk cars, and presto the food is done. He is actually quite a good cook though.

Yeah there are actually car clubs devoted to this exact type of butchery of the food industry. And the food isn't really half bad, if you don't get a hint of exhaust in your salmon, or oil on your steak. Maybe Tranny fluid in your pasta?..... Then again, if either of these fluids is actually reaching the top of the carb., you have problems anyways. And not with the amount of spice in your Boulion...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
turbomangt said:
DAPC tan pad polish
paint seal by hand

I damaged my rear bumper the same way learned my lesson

·
Registered
63 Posts
turbomangt, i'm about an hour south of Chicago... you said you do detailing classes, are these free classes? I'm pretty good when it comes to detailing but "the more you know" ;)

Let me know, thanks!
J

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Nice save on the bumper. In the days before clearcoat and plastic panels 600-1200 grit wetsanding was part of the final finish of a paint job, and could be considered for blending in scratches as well. In fact doesn't lacquer paint require hand sanding between coats and after final coat? Anyone remember lacquer? Still use on show cars and high end hot rods, as in "hand-rubbed 7 coat lacquer finish."

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmm, you guys have some good stories as well. I like my steak well done so put it on the exhuast manifold please. :willy: check my web site for listings of my FREE detailing classes, just now putting together my schedule for next year. www.perfectautofinish.com Gary

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
cadillacricket said:
Yeah there are actually car clubs devoted to this exact type of butchery of the food industry. And the food isn't really half bad, if you don't get a hint of exhaust in your salmon, or oil on your steak. Maybe Tranny fluid in your pasta?..... Then again, if either of these fluids is actually reaching the top of the carb., you have problems anyways. And not with the amount of spice in your Boulion...

I use to "cook" food on the manifold of an Army Gamma Goat (six-wheel drive vehicle that folded inthe middle to turn) years ago. The food was "C" rations in the can, long before the military went to the now popular MRE (Meals, Ready to Eat) in the foil packages. For some reason those plastic/foil packages just didn't hold up to manifold temps so I had to stop doing that. :lol:

At least I had warm food when others had cold because they refused to put stuff on the motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts