Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

My drivers door handle just broke. I checked out the past postings concerning this issue, including the fantastic how to write up with pics. I also learned about the Cobalt handles. I have checked around and found GM Parts Direct has the best price. Using the Cobalt parts numbers, 25869324 LH and 25869322 RH I can get them shipped to me in Canada for a total of $93.17. My question is, because there are no pictures associated with these parts, are the left and right interchangeable? The two differ in price by $2.00. My 08 GXP has a key hole in both handles. I am concerned that the passenger side handle (25869322) may not have the key hole. GM Parts Direct warns me that I cannot return this item. So before I order these handles I want to make sure they will fit.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
85 Posts
Based on the part numbers you've listed, these looks to be correct for the chrome reinforced door handles. jasontamu did a very good write up on the different door handles and parts numbers over on the SkyRoadster forums: Door Handle Part Number - Broken Door Handle Fix

I ordered a set of the black primer handles not too long ago from GM Parts Direct. Can confirm that what is listed below fits and works on the Solstice:

Part: 25963347*
Category: Door Outside Handle
Description: HANDLE
--------------------------------------------------------
Part: 25963384*
Category: Door Outside Handle
Description: HANDLE

Good Luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
If, by "interchangeable" you are asking if the right and left can be swapped, the answer is no. They are mirror images of each other (the way the internal mechanism works).

I got the left/driver's handle off eBay some time ago (as a spare). It was part# 25869324 - same as you had - and had the reinforcements. $30 shipped. (If that helps any.) Searching eBay for 25869322, shows photos that include the keyhole for that one too.

Example:Cobalt Impala Lacrosse Exterior Outside Door Handle Right Passenger Side RF RR | eBay

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the info and confirmation. The best deal seems to be GM Parts Direct, so I am going to order them this morning. Crate engine Depot also has them but they want a whopping $67.47 just for the shipping. I had a car cover shipped up from the US last year and they only charged $15 shipping. I don't understand how 2 little door handles would cost so much for shipping when a car cover is at least 10 times the size and weight. Go figure!

Thanks Again, Don

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
You should call them (CED) and check. It may be a website shipping issue that a real person (Tom) can fix.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
They all use a basic generic design and the spring puts a lot of force on the end. Pretty cheesy if you ask me. I had to change one in a Hyundai earlier this year.

Here's a hint: do not drop the 1 screw it takes to remove it inside the door panel. it's no picnic fishing it out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's a hint: do not drop the 1 screw it takes to remove it inside the door panel. it's no picnic fishing it out.
I've dropped one of the bolts into the door on a couple of occasions when rushing through changing out handles. Not that bad to get out, unless they fall behind the Styrofoam in the door. So long as you keep one of these handy:

One of these is a must have tool IMHO. Have one that stays in my main tool tray, traveling between projects.

The best way I've found to keep the bolts from dropping is by using a socket magnet or a little painters tape just around the bolt flange and the socket/nut driver.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks once again for the helpful info. I will give CED a call and ask Tom whats up. In the mean time has any one ever tried to epoxy the broken plastic bits back in place?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Shadow - I suppose that's possible, but given the amount of force the handle sees, I don't see that as being a viable solution.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have ordered a set of door handles from Crate Engine Depot. I may go ahead and try the epoxy thing just to see how it works out. I have a small sailboat and epoxy is the cure all for everything that falls apart. The housing for my pump action toilet cracked in half about 10 years ago. Epoxy to the rescue. It is still, touch wood, going strong. For the door handle, the only problem will be getting the little broken bits positioned back in place so the bolts will still line up. I will report back on my success or failure.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts