Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having a new recent issue. The chrome sticker on my passenger has been bent up since I got my car, but now I've noticed a LOT of water around it. I can't figure out where it's coming from other then the door seals. Anyone else had this issue and how did you stop it? I'm worried about rust! I know its kind of common because I've seen the posts on the chrome stickers pealing up....but this is an excessive amount of water!

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
The metal trim is glued down near each end. When it gets cold, the metal contracts. The contraction puts pressure on the glue joints and moves the attachment points slightly inward. When the metal warms up, it expands. The expansion forces are resisted by the glue points that were moved inward by the contraction. The metal buckles in the middle and raises up. The fox is to attach it in the center and allow the ends to expand or contract normally
It's much like the panel in a cabinet door will expand with humidity.

The door sill is protected by the outer skin. Water is probably coming in through the top or window seals.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
/////////////////////leak

I have same problem with my 07 vert the 09 coup is good. Seems to me the water that leaks through window seals is some how blocked from draining out inner door drains. When raining or washing water seems build up to the point where it starts to leak through inside door pannel at the bottom and onto the inner door sill. I have yet to remove inner pannel for a look. I hate to remove from orig as they never seem to go back the same. :cuss:

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll look at the top and seals. It just seems to have an excess amount of water in there. My driver's side is always nice and dry....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll look at the top and seals. It just seems to have an excess amount of water in there. My driver's side is always nice and dry....
Your concern is certainly understandable regarding excessive moisture. If you're a DIY person, that is perfectly understandable. However if you decide to have it looked at by a GM Certified Tech, please let us know. If you contact us privately, please provide your VIN#, name + contact information, situation, dealership, and current mileage. I hope this is taken care of quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your concern is certainly understandable regarding excessive moisture. If you're a DIY person, that is perfectly understandable. However if you decide to have it looked at by a GM Certified Tech, please let us know. If you contact us privately, please provide your VIN#, name + contact information, situation, dealership, and current mileage. I hope this is taken care of quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Matt, thank you very much. But with water leaks not being covered, I'm going to probably do it on my own. However, I will keep your screen name if I ever have any issues I can't fix! Thanks again for the offer....it's nice to know that GM still lurks around on the board and offers help. The Mustang forums should take notes! ;)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Service

One note : Took my 07 veert to dealership here in Kitchener On Canada spoke directly with service manager [B 4 warranty exp] I told him that iI had water coming inside the car on inner door jam Answer Quote : its a convertable you can expect leaks! Then saaid that maybe i should lube the seals w/silicone spray they seem dry he said. I have to say working as Lic Mech most of my work life i have never heard such B S as a result both my caars will never go into that place of ignorance EVER !:cuss:

·
Registered
28 Posts
While that dealer's idea of convertibles leaking is a little off base, as far as the silicone goes, it's right there in the manual;
"Weatherstrips
Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them
last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth. During
very cold, damp weather frequent application may
be required. See Part D: Recommended Fluids
and Lubricants on page 353."

I use a tube of silicone grease and apply it to the weatherstripping once a year on all my vehicles. It certainly will preserve the suppleness and make it last longer.

All that being said, every convertible I have ever owned (and some T-top and targa topped vehicles) will have a tendency to leak more than a hard top, especially noticeable at a "touchless" car wash. It's the nature of the beast.
-Matt

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Granted over time the rubber seals will dry out but we are talking about a car that was, new not even near the end of the warranty. Dry seals in less than a yr ??????????????? I don't think so :cuss:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06 convertible.. so much water i had to take the seats and carpets out. I 1/2 filled a shopvac sucking up the water. Can you please let me know where the drain is located in the door. if this keeps up im going to have a floating fish tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts