Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-did the tape on my WR sills, only to have a major rain storm and the one on the passenger side let loose again. I have a leak in the door. Here are the pics of where I think they're leaking. The front seal (the first 2 pics) is where it's leaking really bad. The back seal is also leaking, but not nearly as bad as the front 2!

Here's the first one in front just below the windshield....

Here's the second one on the door at the front....

And this one is in the rear....it looks like this one is the biggest of the issue...

If anyone can help me figure out what to do it would be appreciated as always. I would really not like to use butyl, but....if I have to to make it quit leaking I will. Just some advice of what to do please.....

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
When I had my 75 Camero T top, the damn top leaked all the time. I finally went to putting a layer of grease on the seal at the mating surface. It stopped the leaking. You can try that to confirm where the leak is coming from.

It looks like its time to either modify the seals so they do their job or replace them.

I like my method better. They don't get wet.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I like Rob's idea and that was what I was thinking. Clean up the seals good and then put the dielectric grease on one area at a time to see if you can nail down the exact location. If you can eliminate the leak that way you can just continue to use the grease or consider a more permanent solution such as butyl, silicone, or replacement.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you guys...now I have to pull all of the 3M tape again and replace it. This is gonna get old if I don't fix it soon!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took my baby in for the water leak. I was told its normal for water to run down the inside of the weathersill and underneath the plastic doorsill (where the lighted WR attaches). My rail under that plastic sill fills with water, but its "normal" and infact supposed to happen. What are everyones thoughts?:cuss:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Bottom painted area of the sills to the outboard of the car? Normal. How far up under the plastic sill plate lip is it going?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bottom painted area of the sills to the outboard of the car? Normal. How far up under the plastic sill plate lip is it going?
It's getting in the metal clip area that holds them in place. It's actually releasing the 3m tape from my WR door sills. The water is actually on the metal WR door sills. They said "normal".

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I don't think that's normal. At least my car, been out in the rain for 3days straight (the horror), has no wet there.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Ghost My car sit outside all the time in Wind rain and snow. The outer sill is all that gets wet when it rains . If water is under the sill then it must also be getting to the carpet at some area. If its a chevrolet dealer ask them to shoot water on a vette and see if it does itto that. The seals are just about the same. Now if I go through a power car wash it will drip at the front top corner of the window But thats only when the pressure is comming from the front.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Yep to all the above - not normal. I will see water spots/drops on the painted outer edge but the seal should keep it from going any further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts