Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forums a bit and only found issues about people's cars not having the door lock button. But I do! Unfortunately it no longer works, after somewhat working for a while.

Where do I start? Remote locks work fine. It's just the button on each door (both do not work).

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Do the buttons work in either direction? Lock or unlock? Does everything else in the car work?

There is only one location outside of the BCM that the switches have a common connection, and that is the ground lug on the transmission tunnel under the center console armrest. The switches work by connecting one of two different resistances between the BCM input and ground, so if that lug has gotten loose, or a little corroded, the resistance value could be wrong.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't work in either direction. Everything else in the car works. I'll have a look, thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked that bolt (2 grounds attached to it) and it's tight with no corrosion. I have to do some work on my car later so I'll actually take it off entirely for inspection.

Also wanted to note that the locks also unlock after parking the car, etc.

It's just the manual buttons. Are there any other pinch points somewhere I could check? I have to take the door panels off later anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
If the locks work remotely and automatically the problem is not in the lock mechanism. It has to be the manual buttons or their connections.

Early cars did not have manual buttons. Have you had your car from new? Added buttons may have a different problem than OE buttons.

Definitely take the terminals off of the ground lug to clean them and check for intenal corrosion.

The wires from the buttons should run with the other wiring, but I do not know this as a certainty. Certainly check any visible wiring for damage.

If one of the buttons is stuck "on" or if it has a short circuit it may confuse the control enough to prevent manual peration without affecting automatic operation.
While you have the door panels off, unplug one switch at a time to see if the other one works.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the second owner but I'm almost positive they're OE. Good tip about one of the switches being stuck, will check those next.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took off both doors today. Tried each side with the other disconnected. Still nothing!

I did unscrew and inspect the ground lug under the center console. Everything looked clean.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Took off both doors today. Tried each side with the other disconnected. Still nothing!

I did unscrew and inspect the ground lug under the center console. Everything looked clean.
What did you disconnect?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Each of the cables going to the door lock button.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
Do you still have the car apart? Do you have a meter?

From the black wire at the door lock button connector you should have a direct connection to the chassis ground.

From the white wire to the black wire at the connector you should read some voltage, either 5 or 12 V.

Across the two terminals on the button you should read an open circuit, a short circuit when lock is pressed, and 1.5k Ohms when unlock is pressed.

At the BCM, connector X1 is the horizontal one at the top left. Pins 6 and 7 with white wires are the door lock/unlock button connections.

You should read some voltage from each of them to ground, either 5 or 12 V.

If you connect either of them to ground with a wire the doors should lock. The best thing to use for connecting to ground is an inline fuse so that you won't damage anything if you ground the wrong thing,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a meter, closed up for now but will take another look at it later. Thank you for the detailed specifics.

·
Super Moderator
7,525 Posts
You can do the BCM checks without removing the door panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts