Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share an appearance mod I did recently to the speakers on my door panels. I always thought they were ripe for a change, especially considering the other circles of chrome we have going on elsewhere in the car. I think it compliments the dash bezel, air vents and shifter boot pretty well. The biggest problem was finding the proper dimension for the speaker since nobody is making the part specifically for our cars.

When I went to our local auto show months back, I took measurements of cars that were currently being produced to find something that met our speaker requirements. The Ford Escape seemed to be the closest, so I then set off on a hunt on ebay to find a vendor that had what I wanted with the proper dimension. I took a chance on a listing that had "6PCS FOR ESCAPE KUGA CHROME DOOR STEREO SPEAKER COLLAR COVER TRIM RING A PILLAR" in the title. I figured at $12, how could I go wrong? And I'd have 4 trim rings of the same size just in case I screwed up somehow (2 of the 6 in the listing are for the smaller speakers in the Escape/Kuga).

It took a while to get them shipped from China, as everything does, but what showed up looked ok. The trim rings fit almost perfectly. The only issue was the double backed tape they used did not adhere to our door panels, even after I cleaned the surface thoroughly. I ended up using a bit of super glue, spaced evenly around the foam and pressed it in place, holding it on for about a minute.

Check out the pictures. You should be able to find a vendor on ebay or elsewhere that has these rings in the same size if you think it's something you'd like to try.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I always try to do mods that look like they could have been there from the factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have them in front of me, but the small ones are probably around 2" or so. If you need an exact dimension, let me know.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Cool find mtk2000, just ordered a set.

Northern Sol - Cheers my friend. Man you sure have the 'shiny object' syndrome. LOL... Is there anything you don't have?

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Cool find mtk2000, just ordered a set.

Northern Sol - Cheers my friend. Man you sure have the 'shiny object' syndrome. LOL... Is there anything you don't have?
If I don't have it ..... I want it!!!!!!!!😎

When I upgraded my door speakers on the roadster I thought about trying to bling the surround of the speakers a touch. However, everything I saw required removing the speaker cover on the door. Ours are not removable so that ended that. When I saw this I thought duh....why not?!?! Comes with two sets so if all goes well will do it to the Coupe too.

·
Super Moderator
16,150 Posts
Nice! What dimensions are the small rings?

... there'll probably be some blowback from chrome-haters, but ignore them.
I like the idea but will do them in carbon fiber

·
Super Moderator
16,150 Posts
I can print them in carbon fiber with Punisher text on them. and punisher heads. And flames. Come on, who doesn't love flames.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Nice! What dimensions are the small rings?

... there'll probably be some blowback from chrome-haters, but ignore them.
Chrome wouldn't be my personal choice but I don't hate i. I'd be more worried as to whether the cyanoacrylic glue would ruin the door panel for ever going back to stock....

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is a great product for that. I have used it in my model making hobby as well as other uses - It is called : Un-Cure Cyanoacrylate remover. comes in a 1 oz bottle. The stuff is great. basically like a goof off for super glue plus it un-bonds of course too.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Chrome wouldn't be my personal choice but I don't hate i. I'd be more worried as to whether the cyanoacrylic glue would ruin the door panel for ever going back to stock....
Yes. That would be my concern with the Coupe. If the 3m works then great. If crazy glue is required then I will just do the roadster.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
My rings arrived from China. Now I get to play this weekend...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts