Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2007 Solstice for 6 years. The passenger side door has always just touched the hood when closing the door. Today, possibly because it was directly in the sun, the hood bent a little when closing the door. Now I have to resolve the issue.

Comparing the driver side door (spacing 5/64") with the passenger side (spacing 4/64") ---they are almost the same but the driver side closes with space to spare. I found the problem - the passenger side door sits proud of (not flush with) with the hood by about 1/8" (1st pic looking down the side of the door/hood). Interestingly, the bottom and top of the door are almost perfectly flush.

Maybe I need someone with some body shop skills to push the hood out just a bit near the door.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug

Looking down the passenger side of the car

Passenger side door closed

Passenger side door opened to the point of contact with the hood

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
attached please find the solstice body alignment booklet

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
First adjustment I would try would be the front hood bumper. Lift the hood and you will see a vertical screw near the hood hinge with a rubber bumper on top, as shown in the instructions sirwm posted. Lower that screw on the passenger side about one turn and it should move the hood forward. Other gaps will be affected when you do this such as the hood to front fascia and hood to fender. It may also at the same time help by moving the rear portion of the hood laterally toward the passenger side. The hood adjustments are a PITA compared to rest of the adjustments. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First adjustment I would try would be the front hood bumper. Lift the hood and you will see a vertical screw near the hood hinge with a rubber bumper on top, as shown in the instructions sirwm posted. Lower that screw on the passenger side about one turn and it should move the hood forward. Other gaps will be affected when you do this such as the hood to front fascia and hood to fender. It may also at the same time help by moving the rear portion of the hood laterally toward the passenger side. The hood adjustments are a PITA compared to rest of the adjustments. Good luck!
Thanks sirwm & joybill44. Joybill44 you said "moving the hood laterally" - Exactly what is needed. I either missed it in the PDF or it's not addressed. The front hood bumper do move the hood but not nearly enough. I need to put the door and hood on the same plane (flush)...then maybe adjust the gap. If anyone has thoughts on moving the hood laterally, please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Thanks sirwm & joybill44. Joybill44 you said "moving the hood laterally" - Exactly what is needed. I either missed it in the PDF or it's not addressed. The front hood bumper do move the hood but not nearly enough. I need to put the door and hood on the same plane (flush)...then maybe adjust the gap. If anyone has thoughts on moving the hood laterally, please let me know.
Thanks!
It isn't mentioned in the instructions but by lowering that front screw down on the passenger side, it forces the passenger side of the hood forward and in effect rotates the hood slightly counter clockwise and should help with the door gap problem and with bringing the hood out laterally to more closely match the door. Moving the same screw on the drivers side upward slightly would also help move the rear portion of the hood laterally toward the passenger side. Make these adjustments in small increments because they will affect the hood to front fascia gaps. when you get the hood where you want it, you will have to go back and adjust the fender and fascia to match the hood. Fortunately, they are much easier to gap. I would also take a close look at the hood to front fascia gap on the passenger side. You may have to lower the fascia on that side first to get the hood to sit securely on that passenger side hood adjustment screw. If that gap closes up entirely, the hood will be resting on the fascia instead of on the hood adjustment screw. If none of that helps enough, You may have to move the whole hood hinge assembly forward on one or both sides. Like I said, its a PITA, but once you get it right, its there for good. Just do it a little at a time and keep an eye on the other gaps. They will all be affected when moving the hood.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The misalignment on those panels are terrible, has the car been in an accident at some point?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It is possible but I don't see any signs of a repair.
Other than perhaps the misaligned panels. Hopefully you can get it resolved but wonder if some brackets that the panels mount to, are bent. Haven't ever seen one like this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It isn't mentioned in the instructions but by lowering that front screw down on the passenger side, it forces the passenger side of the hood forward and in effect rotates the hood slightly counter clockwise and should help with the door gap problem and with bringing the hood out laterally to more closely match the door. Moving the same screw on the drivers side upward slightly would also help move the rear portion of the hood laterally toward the passenger side. Make these adjustments in small increments because they will affect the hood to front fascia gaps. when you get the hood where you want it, you will have to go back and adjust the fender and fascia to match the hood. Fortunately, they are much easier to gap. I would also take a close look at the hood to front fascia gap on the passenger side. You may have to lower the fascia on that side first to get the hood to sit securely on that passenger side hood adjustment screw. If that gap closes up entirely, the hood will be resting on the fascia instead of on the hood adjustment screw. If none of that helps enough, You may have to move the whole hood hinge assembly forward on one or both sides. Like I said, its a PITA, but once you get it right, its there for good. Just do it a little at a time and keep an eye on the other gaps. They will all be affected when moving the hood.
How do you adjust the fascia?

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
How do you adjust the fascia?
If you raise the hood, you will see brackets on each side which hold the fascia in place. These can be moved up or down. A line of screws in the top of the fascia will allow it to be moved forward or rearward.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had to move the whole hood hinge assembly forward ~3mm on the driver's side. I spent many hours with the other alignments suggested in the pdf above in this thread. Everything is now in fairly good alignment with one big caveat. The hood now doesn't close easily. The fixed position guide stud on the drivers side under hood is not in alignment with the hole it is supposed to enter and now prevents the hood from closing and opening properly. I have to push the hood toward the passenger side and down to get it to engage into the hood latch, then also push down on the passenger side hood to engage that hood latch on that side. When I release the hood I now have to pull the hood up and I can see the stress release. However, I now have much improved overall alignment of the hood to doors, fenders and fascia.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
I had to move the whole hood hinge assembly forward ~3mm on the driver's side. I spent many hours with the other alignments suggested in the pdf above in this thread. Everything is now in fairly good alignment with one big caveat. The hood now doesn't close easily. The fixed position guide stud on the drivers side under hood is not in alignment with the hole it is supposed to enter and now prevents the hood from closing and opening properly. I have to push the hood toward the passenger side and down to get it to engage into the hood latch, then also push down on the passenger side hood to engage that hood latch on that side. When I release the hood I now have to pull the hood up and I can see the stress release. However, I now have much improved overall alignment of the hood to doors, fenders and fascia.
I think bob is right. sounds like something has been bent. One thing you might try to relieve the stress is to move the U shaped hooks in the hood to more closely match the latches. The latches themselves and the guide stud cannot be moved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think bob is right. sounds like something has been bent. One thing you might try to relieve the stress is to move the U shaped hooks in the hood to more closely match the latches. The latches themselves and the guide stud cannot be moved.
I believe I'm as close as I'm going to get with this "fit" to hole issue. The issue now is the immovable guide stud-to-hole fit (or lack there of) that's the problem. When closing the hood the hole above comes to rest just outside the immovable guide below it by the same 3mm that I had to move the hood hinge assembly forward. All else are much better fits than they were so I'm OK with this as it now is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts