Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
gottaride said:
Nice work.....now that you're in there, what's your take on how stuffs Engineered/Assembled. [i.e.] did you find things were put together in a logical well thought out way...no unneccessary parts....all the fasteners torqued down correctly...quality bits and pieces....etc etc............
YES, overall I was impressed with the quality of materials, design, and assembly. Especially for a first-year car, and ESPECIALLY for a GM. I did have my concerns when I took apart the rear bulkhead, because some of the clips there seemed to be "MacGuyvered". I found nothing of that sort up front.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
rlhammon said:
As for the aftermarket head unit replacment and keeping the chimes.. there is a unit out there by Metra and I believe at least one other company to keep the chimes. Cost is around $60... Metra part number GMRC-01. Crutchfield and I think CircuitCity can get them (among your favorite online aftermarket stereo company).

I had one in a previous car. All the box does in plug inbetween the head unit and the factory wiring to "hear" the Data Bus signal. The box (which contains a speaker) then makes the correct sound for the signal. Problem is the box is buried inside your dash and can be harder to hear, or much louder and is no longer volume controlable. I know my Olds Alero I could control the volume of the "dings" with the stereo... I'm guessing you can still do the same.

Data Bus connections are standard on the radios... remember, it's a worldwide radio system now, so don't get too nervous if something doesn't like Solstice on the packaging just yet.
Thanks, rlhammon. Is the other company Pacific Audio Control (PAC) by chance? I've had good luck with their adapters in the past.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ralph_on_me said:
It's okay 2KW, but can you measure your hand for me? :lol:
Sure thing! Here ya go... metric too! Sorry, they're a little blurry. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Head unit and wire connectors
So can anyone tell us if there is a possibility of connecting an external CD changer?

Not for that reason, but because, and it's been mentioned before, that to truly do iPod integration (with working steering wheel controls and track info on the radio display) requires a CD changer port.

·
Registered
729 Posts
stang said:
That's where a trip to your local Saturn dealership next Fall will come in handy. Switch out the curved plastic for a flat one. ;)
I wouldn't doubt if we see 2KWK4U being the first guy to put a Sky interior into a Solstice!! :willy:

- bspate -

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
dori-san said:
So can anyone tell us if there is a possibility of connecting an external CD changer?

Not for that reason, but because, and it's been mentioned before, that to truly do iPod integration (with working steering wheel controls and track info on the radio display) requires a CD changer port.
It's been so long since I've really done installs, and so much has changed that I don't know what to look for anymore. I'm going to give a weak "probably not" as your answer. Sorry I can't do better than that. Keep in mind that this is the base stereo, too. The upscale units may have more inputs/outputs. However, I still doubt there will be any offered with CD changer control capabilities.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
stang said:
Wait a second! If both of your hands are in the pic, who's holding the camera? :willy:
Haha! I'm a man of many talents. :cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well done Scott! The pictures are fantastic and provide a whole new learning experience. Was the main dash IPtrim1 the most difficult piece? I wonder if the aftermarket will provide a replacement piece, perhaps in simulated wood burl. This might also provide an opportunity for changing location of lights?

Does the center console area have enough room under it to enable a new piece to be formed that provided a tray?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
SolLate said:
Well done Scott! The pictures are fantastic and provide a whole new learning experience. Was the main dash IPtrim1 the most difficult piece? I wonder if the aftermarket will provide a replacement piece, perhaps in simulated wood burl. This might also provide an opportunity for changing location of lights?

Does the center console area have enough room under it to enable a new piece to be formed that provided a tray?

Yes, the IP trim was by far the most trouble to remove. Once that is out, everything else comes out easily (radio, gauge cluster, etc). As for the center console, maybe a change tray could be molded into a new piece, but that's about it. The center tunnel structure is pretty substantial. Here's two pictures from an earlier endeavor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
JetBlackE31 said:
Great post Scott! Usually you don't get to see the guts behind the dash so soon in a car's life.

See you next weekend!
Haha! Usually that's the case with 'normal' people. I'm surprised I managed to wait this long to take it apart :willy:

Looking forward to the weekend. :cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great Job!

Scott,
Thanks for the great work! I've ordered the basic radio w/ plans to upgrade to an aftermarket unit & speakers. You've provided excellent info. Keep up the good work. :thumbs:

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
stang said:
It would appear so. :yesnod: Can't wait to see what's under the mayan temple.
He's been there too:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8037

2KWK4U, I'm going to see the judge tomorrow and get a restraining order that requires you to at all times be at least one city block away from MARiSOL. Not that I don't trust you, I just don't trust you!

Thanks for all your efforts to show us the insides of a Solstice. Certainly not for the squeamish!

·
Registered
215 Posts
rlhammon said:
As for the aftermarket head unit replacment and keeping the chimes.. there is a unit out there by Metra and I believe at least one other company to keep the chimes. Cost is around $60... Metra part number GMRC-01. Crutchfield and I think CircuitCity can get them (among your favorite online aftermarket stereo company).

I had one in a previous car. All the box does in plug inbetween the head unit and the factory wiring to "hear" the Data Bus signal. The box (which contains a speaker) then makes the correct sound for the signal. Problem is the box is buried inside your dash and can be harder to hear, or much louder and is no longer volume controlable. I know my Olds Alero I could control the volume of the "dings" with the stereo... I'm guessing you can still do the same.

Data Bus connections are standard on the radios... remember, it's a worldwide radio system now, so don't get too nervous if something doesn't like Solstice on the packaging just yet.
You guys have answered some questions that have popped up but here is another one. Does anyone know for a certainty that nothing else runs through the head unit/radio? I also have the stock unit and want to change it asap BUT my Pontiac service manager has alluded to other things that run through the radio, not just the turn signal indicator sound and the door chimes. Have been waiting a week now and the calls he made for me have not been answered. :willy:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
solkool said:
You guys have answered some questions that have popped up but here is another one. Does anyone know for a certainty that nothing else runs through the head unit/radio? I also have the stock unit and want to change it asap BUT my Pontiac service manager has alluded to other things that run through the radio, not just the turn signal indicator sound and the door chimes. Have been waiting a week now and the calls he made for me have not been answered. :willy:
Well, I did check to see if I could still scroll through the DIC functions with the radio disconnected. No problems there. The DIC info gets displayed on the radio on some GM cars, but not ours, so I didn't expect it to be affected.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts