Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver Side Before

Drivers Side After (Please note the marks on this one are from the gravel reflecting in the paint, the chips are almost impossible to see with your nose on the paint)

Passenger Side Before

Passenger Side After

...Overall I am VERY pleased with the results of this kit on my road rash! It absolutely exceeded my expectations and the color match was absolutely perfect!

If anyone has any roadrash and are shopping around for the different kits (although I have not tried any other kit, nor have I ever tried regular touch up paint) I will say to get the Dr.ColorChip!

*EDIT: I would also like to add that I did NOT edit this pictures in any way*

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Wow, that does look good. You should get some rocker panel clear bra film to protect them going forward.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
wow - excellent - wanna do mine ?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to add that I used the "Squirt 'n Squeegee" kit, it was very easy, just took some time!

@sirwm if we were closer, I would do it no problem! =]

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Guess I need to look into this. For my bumper and rockers to be painted, I was quoted $1800.... add my hood and it jumped to $2800. For $3800 I can get the whole car done..... Where did you get the kit?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was all very easy!

I washed, clayed, dried the car.

Then checked the chips for visible remnants of wax/sealant which I knew there was none, if there would have been some, I would have used alcohol to wipe it out.

Then I took the paint bottle included in the kit (with the gloves on that were included) and held it in one hand and the squeegee in the other. I put the paint bottle right on the car and squirted some paint on it (while holding the squeegee below to catch any drips) and then immediately used the squeegee to spread the paint over the chips/road rash.

I continued this way, probably using much more paint than needed, until all the chips were completely covered.

I let it sit for probably about 10 minutes, then used the solution and cloth (supplied in the kit) to wipe off all the excess. This step took the most time. I shook the solution bottle, squirted it on the cloth and then rubbed it all over the covered chips until all the excess paint was off.

Then I used the blue microfiber cloth to buff out the hazyness that the solution left.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That is pretty dang good! so is it just regular paint or is it a little thicker? Sounds like it would be messy but you never described it to be.

Bert

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Nicely done JesseB, looks great!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! If I can do it, anyone can. I have zero experience with touching up paints or anything like this and it came out great!

@bobo it is not regular touch up paint, it is their specific formula that reacts with their solution to ease in excess removal. Also, it was a little messy, but the package comes with gloves to keep it off your hands, although I somehow ended up with some on my eyebrow and was asked a few times how I cut myself, hahaa

@redone if you are repairing road rash like mine, I would 100% recommend ordering the squeegee to do it with, it was soo simple and would have been a lot more difficult with the brushes that were included. I will be using the brushes for some bigger chips on my hood and bumper though!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Great job Jesse ! I have used the stuff for small chips but never for road rash . Has anyone thought about making a template and spraying some plasti dip in the area in front of the rear wheels to keep them from chipping? I know they make a film for this purpose and body shops can spray on chip guard but I don't like the finish on either product .? I got this idea from looking at early 427 Cobras some had plates over the front of the rear fenders to keep them from getting chipped up .Aftershock Products had a magnetic cover that went in this area and I tried to order it but it seems they are out of business.Oh well something to add to my to do list.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Road Rash

My Photos below. Fairly happy with the result...it DOES look better. I think another application in a month will also help. Paint is not thicker, it just dries fast. The secret is the wipe-off liquid. Not difficult, but get the elbows and neck ready to rumble. Read and follow instructions!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
...Overall I am VERY pleased with the results of this kit on my road rash! It absolutely exceeded my expectations and the color match was absolutely perfect!
Thanks for the info, I can see it in my future, although at the moment I have no use for it..........:)

Terry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts