Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I've been laid up for the past year and a half with some medical issues so other than an occasional start and run the Solstice has been in the barn in storage .Before I put it away as I always do I filled the tank with good old 93 ,added a couple gallons of 110 race gas and StaBil 360 so now I want to drain the tank and add some fresh fuel in anticipation of some spirited fall driving .I did a search and could not find any easy way to do this somewhere it was mentioned that some tanks were drained at the nationals I believe .Any help would be greatly appreciated ! :grin:

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Sorry no one got back to you on this one Sting. You just take the cap off of the filler and tilt the car on it's left side.

I know that's not very helpful especially considering you have some medical issues, but I hope you feel well enough soon to do this.

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
The best way to drain the tank is to do the spirited driving.

Seriously. My 2.4 spent most of a year not being driven, and went 13 months between fill-ups. No stabilizer, no prep of any kind, and I had no problems.

Or do what chickenwire suggested.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
1. Remove trunk carpet.
2. Remove competely useless access panel.
3. Drill hole in tank with non-conducting drill bit.
4. Siphon it out.

... or just go drive the thing. Considering what you put in it, and that it's only been sitting for a year and a half, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
1. Remove trunk carpet.
2. Remove competely useless access panel.
3. Drill hole in tank with non-conducting drill bit.
4. Siphon it out.
Eeeek! ... and get a load of filings in your tank (plus where do you find a "non conducting" drill bit?)

I assume you are only joking, but the first two steps make some sense here. For step 3, undo the fuel pump panel and lift enough to get a siphon pipe in there.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Now that I'm thinking of it, a "non-conducting" drill bit (probably ceramic, but I don't recall) would be bad due to static discharge.

Obtain a 10,000 meter spool of copper, and wind one end around the drill bit. ground the other one to the frame. Drill away.

Please take video.

·
Premium Member
10,348 Posts
Go for a long enjoyable drive, then when it gets to close to 1/4 of a tank, fill it up and go for another long enjoyable drive.
In the end the car will be fine and you have a big smile on your face.

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Dave (PAW) drained the fuel out of one of the cars that went into the banquet room for us. He pulled the rubber fuel hose off the hard line at the engine and used a "tool" he made that shorts across the fuel pump fuse. We put the hose into a bucket and drained the fuel. He said he does it all the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
Do you maybe mean that he shorted across the fuel pump relay socket? Shorting across the fuse wouldn't accomplish much.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone my issues at this point are that my car currently is undergoing some upgrades the remote oil filter (waiting for my friend to fabricate the mount ) and my changing out my pillar gauges to a cleaner look as far as the engine compartment goes so it's apart . The biggest problem for me and I've lived with this my whole life is I have OCPD (seriously)and the fact that the fuel has been sitting in the tank even though it has been treated is driving me nuts . I'm currently wearing a new style brace on my leg to try and avoid another surgery and at times it's a bit difficult to get in and out of the car and to work on it but I'll be damned if I going to let that stop me !The local GTO club is having a Pontiac only show next month and I'm hoping to get my car done in time to drive it up there not for the show part but just to let people see a modified Solstice all the ones around here are basically stock .

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dave (PAW) drained the fuel out of one of the cars that went into the banquet room for us. He pulled the rubber fuel hose off the hard line at the engine and used a "tool" he made that shorts across the fuel pump fuse. We put the hose into a bucket and drained the fuel. He said he does it all the time.
So, I have to ask. Why does he have to drain his tank "all the time"???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts