Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, apparently a Driver Information Center will be optional on the Solstice. I can't really see where it's going to go, unless it is integrated into an upgraded stereo head unit. That would explain some of these buttons that I can't identify. I know I've seen pics of other GM vehicles with this head unit in it, but don't know if any are production vehicles. Anyone know? Any guesses as to where the DIC will go?
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
I think we touched on this with the Sky in another thread. The driver information center is more like the trip computer LCD readout information that sits in the gage cluster, and not a full screen deal thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,886 Posts
brentil said:
I think we touched on this with the Sky in another thread. The driver information center is more like the trip computer LCD readout information that sits in the gage cluster, and not a full screen deal thing.
You are correct. It's a small display (think an old style one line calculator, not a graphing one) that fits in the gauge cluster. I've seen them on a few GM's so far, and I believe they are always in the Tach gauge. Sits under the needle, and operates with two buttons (currently, I think they might move to one).

Nothing all that fancy... but, handy I guess. I've got one of these on my new GM I just bought... and apparently will have it on the next one I'm buying now too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
I think we touched on this with the Sky in another thread. The driver information center is more like the trip computer LCD readout information that sits in the gage cluster, and not a full screen deal thing.
ahhh. Guess I should read those too, huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
thanks brentil! I'd seen that in the pic before but I just assumed it was only the odometer, nothing more. The dic I have in my car is in the overhead console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
2KWK4U said:
So, apparently a Driver Information Center will be optional on the Solstice. I can't really see where it's going to go, unless it is integrated into an upgraded stereo head unit. That would explain some of these buttons that I can't identify. I know I've seen pics of other GM vehicles with this head unit in it, but don't know if any are production vehicles. Anyone know? Any guesses as to where the DIC will go?
The little button in the top left corner of the radio is an i which stands for information and is the button you push on the steering wheel of most new curent GM vehicles for Driver Information so it stands that DIC could possibly be through the radio.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
waiting said:
In the Solstice, I thought it was the black bar above the hazard light switch (above and right of the gagues). there are pics in the gallery.
We've determined from close up images of that that it's the Airbag ON/OFF and it has one other small light up bit I don't remember right now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
XLER8ER said:
The little button in the top left corner of the radio is an i which stands for information and is the button you push on the steering wheel of most new curent GM vehicles for Driver Information so it stands that DIC could possibly be through the radio.
Or the I might be what my father has in his Silvarado. You push it to get the information about the current radio channel. Most newer radios can pick up the information frequency that goes along with the normal audio channel and it carries commercial data and information about the channel you're on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,886 Posts
brentil said:
Or the I might be what my father has in his Silvarado. You push it to get the information about the current radio channel. Most newer radios can pick up the information frequency that goes along with the normal audio channel and it carries commercial data and information about the channel you're on.
Brentil's comment would make the most sense... especially since GM seems to be offering stereo packages such as:

Base (CD, or CD / Cassette depending on vehicle)
Base + mp3 CD playback
Base + RDS (with auto volume adjust, traffic, etc.)
Base + XM Radio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts

LA auto show
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rlhammon said:
Brentil's comment would make the most sense... especially since GM seems to be offering stereo packages such as:

Base (CD, or CD / Cassette depending on vehicle)
Base + mp3 CD playback
Base + RDS (with auto volume adjust, traffic, etc.)
Base + XM Radio

I think you may be right about it being an RDS radio. It makes sense that the "i" button is the "information" button, and that the "CAT" button could be a "category" button. I haven't had a car with an RDS stereo since I was an installer. I put an aftermarket RDS head unit in my car in '95 "before it was cool." Problem was, very few stations actually had the multiplexing equipment at the time to interleaven the RDS data stream into their signal. And the ones that did have it didn't know it or know how to use it. There were all kinds of cool features that never worked!

But the two buttons that puzzle me in the pics of the Solstice/Sky head unit are the ones at the left end of the top row. I can't quite make them out. Actually, one looks like the "text this side" icon you see on office copiers and fax machines.

That must be it! The car has an on-board fax machine built into the radio!
:glol :glol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Dic Led

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL, SUV. It has a DIC, and basically, you scroll through the mileage, oil pressure, and other driver info, using the steering wheel buttons. It's basic stuff...but alot of info in a 3 x 1.5 inch box under the gages. Better than NOT knowing what your instant gas mileage and average gas mileage is (although, with the V6 on that heavy beast, sometimes I'd rather not know).

First post...glad I'm here...isn't it mildly disturbing that there's so LITTLE info about a car that's supposedly coming in the early summer?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Not sure if you're asking about the 'i' button, but in your picture it's right above the "FAV" button...

Edit: Nevermind, sometimes I have to read things twice. :jester
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top