Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rolled my driver side window down, and that is where it stayed, down. :( I checked the fuse in the floor board panel, #29, it checked out good. I then took the door panel off. Found a very helpful diagram on the forum of how the take the screws and snaps off in sequence. Once inside the door I seen what made the screeching sound on my window as it went down. There is a small piece of white plastic in the upper left hand side of the door panel that is broken. I looked on the GM parts site for the part, all I can find is the whole assembly, part number 20897018. Has any one had this problem before and how did you fix it? Will I have to replace the whole power window regulator, or is there a way to just replace this small white plastic piece. The motor still works fine. I was able to get the window up some, but not enough to keep from having to cover my car.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had to replace the whole regulator on my Sky, which is a different part number than the solstice. My problem however was the corrosion and unwinding of the wires that run thru out the assembly, my motor was also good, wasn't the issue..They do not sell individual parts for that assembly, you have to replace the whole assembly, I just salvaged the the motor for a spare if needed in the future.. BTW, I had to replace BOTH assemblies for both doors within one year..:( Good luck with yours. One of the weaknesses of our kappas IMO.. I also had the dealer fix mine, my hands r to big to be screwing around in there..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Actually its some type of horizontal metal strip that the window I believe slides into and then somehow tightened/fasten in place. Since I did not do the work, that was another unknown and its when I decided to let "them" do it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My boyfriend is my mechanic, but it will be a DIY project. We have already replaced the water pump and a solenoid already. I guess my next step is to order the part.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm also a DIYfer type guy,:lol: being a homeowner I'm an electrician, roofer, painter, carpenter, ditch digger, wood fence installer, plumber, car mechanic/technician, tires, yard man, (cut grass, edge, pull weeds etc), garbage man, I'm the IT person, anything to do with a computer I'm the guy, build them, troubleshoot them, repair them, reload software, etc etc... and on and on and on, if I don't know the fix, I train myself and give it whirl If I think I can be successful :D good luck with you efforts..:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I recently rolled my driver side window down, and that is where it stayed, down. :( I checked the fuse in the floor board panel, #29, it checked out good. I then took the door panel off. Found a very helpful diagram on the forum of how the take the screws and snaps off in sequence. Once inside the door I seen what made the screeching sound on my window as it went down. There is a small piece of white plastic in the upper left hand side of the door panel that is broken. I looked on the GM parts site for the part, all I can find is the whole assembly, part number 20897018. Has any one had this problem before and how did you fix it? Will I have to replace the whole power window regulator, or is there a way to just replace this small white plastic piece. The motor still works fine. I was able to get the window up some, but not enough to keep from having to cover my car.
Yeah - looks like you're in the hole for ~$150. Sorry.

The window glass rests in two separate clamps (front and back) with a couple of nuts/screws that tighten the clamp onto the glass. See below, one of the nuts is shown as #5. (Pic from: Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is the piece that is broken. The white plastic that is circled. Think it could be glued or JB welded back together? Im going to take it out as soon as the rain breaks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We DIY a lot of stuff. My mechanic charges me meal and a six pack. Course I buy my own parts and help. Having little hands I go where no man hands can fit. :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
if it was mine I'd find something laying around that would work. fishing weight, cable clamp something. I hate tearing something apart to find a piece of plastic that I can't get for 2 weeks as the culprit. I'm sure you guys can come up with something. if you know about JB weld then you;re basically half way there. "Mighty putty" works real good for stuff like that too. But I'd use the "JB stick" version of it. I always keep that stuff on hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yea, I know about the different grades of super glue, JB weld, duct tape. I even thought about "J" clamps. I use them to make cages ,if I could get one of those around the chipped piece of plastic I could get it back together and get her running again. I think its sad that I have to buy the whole assembly when its just that one little white piece of plastic. I cant work on the door because the rain just wont let up. :(
Ya know I gotta say the folks on the Solstice forum are way nicer than the folks on the corvette forum. They are just down right mean. If I had asked this question on there, they would have gave me crap about it. :) Glad I just get to ride around in one, and not deal with it.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Ha, ha. we've heard that alot. Depends on what vette forum you're on. I had a 73 and bought my 06 Solstice as a daily driver so I could spend more time on the Vette and after driving the solstice around for a week, I lost all interest in the vette. The guys at the C3 forum are some great guys but the Yuppies that drive the newer ones can be total "Richards".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My boyfriend owns a 78 and a 2014. I warned him I would get a turbo upgrade kit and outrun his vette if he turned into one those arrogant dudes. So far so good. :) He has been really good at helping me with my car, he was the one that encouraged me to get it. I'm glad I did, I went from a Smart car to the Solstice, major upgrade.

·
Registered
728 Posts
All of those "glues/adhesives" yawl mentioned above have failed me over time over and over and over...I use marine epoxy, called loctite Loctite 0.85 fl. oz. Aqua Marine Epoxy (8-Pack)-1405604 at The Home Depot mix part a with part b in equal amounts, stir it up/blend, put some on both pieces, assemble, hold them until it setups, and walla, repaired for life, not only that, ITS WATER PROOF... in your case perfect since water gets in there..:thumbs:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive never tried Marine epoxy. I would be willing to try it if it will save me $160 dollars. I will look for some and give it a try.
:)

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Sorry I didn't read this thread earlier. (I don't always venture into the GXP threads because the owners are so much meaner than the N/A owners.) :lol:

As the others have confirmed, you end up buying the whole regulator for just about any car anymore. Always a possibility that you could find the clip or anchor but they usually aren't on a parts list - the manufacturer of the regulator just lists the regulator as a part number in the door assembly.

A mechanical repair would be your best bet. The plastic is very likely to be an acetal (polyoxymethylene or POM) which is very commonly used in sliding parts. It is very lubricious which is good for sliding, but that also means it's slippery for adhesives and they don't tend to bond well.

It may well be nylon as that has higher strength than the acetal. Epoxies will work better on the nylon, but still will not be as strong as the original molded part.

As the other members have suggested and you have also stated, if you're looking at $150 it's worth a shot to try a different repair or adhesive. (Or you can just prop it up with a stick and never put the window down!)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
As the other members have suggested and you have also stated, if you're looking at $150 it's worth a shot to try a different repair or adhesive. (Or you can just prop it up with a stick and never put the window down!)
In a convertible?! I'd rather never put the window up!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well here is an update on the window repair. We ended up taking the whole assembly out of the door. It was a fairly easy process. We took pictures but don't have them downloaded yet. We went with the JB marine weld. It turns out the cable that runs the pulley's was off track in the motor part of the assembly. The small white plastic piece was broken where it guides the cable around the upper left hand pulley.

Now our question is, does anyone know if the window motor has a preset stop position for up or down, or does it stop on its own when the window has gotten as far as it can go in either direction? We managed to get the motor to roll the window almost to the up position before the bind in it wouldn't let it go any further. We have moved the slides that hold the window so Im not sure where it will be located when we re-assemble the window.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Now our question is, does anyone know if the window motor has a preset stop position for up or down, or does it stop on its own when the window has gotten as far as it can go in either direction? We managed to get the motor to roll the window almost to the up position before the bind in it wouldn't let it go any further. We have moved the slides that hold the window so Im not sure where it will be located when we re-assemble the window.
Pretty sure it just stops at the physical stopping point of the window in the slides. There's no sensor switch to stop the motor (if that's what you mean).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea that's what I mean. My little car has earned the right to sleep in the garage tonight since the JB weld has to cure for at least 14 hours. :) The vette will have to sleep outside.
So far it hasn't been a headache to work on just slow. I have put all the screws an nuts in baggies with labels in them to keep track where they go. I hope by tomorrow we have it going an I have good news to report. Even if it only lasts several months, I will have been able to save myself the 160 for a little while , and I will have learned something in the process.
I had a geo metro that we had to fix the scissor track in it all the time. We had a two hour job down to a 20 minute fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts