Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers inside door handle just broke after 24,000 miles. It was clicking beforehand when I tried to open the door but now something broke off inside the door. Anyone else have the problem and how did you fix it. Thanks :crying:

·
Registered
187 Posts
He said inside handle. I just replaced my outer handle. you will need to do the same procedure to get the panel off, but then you are going to to have to unhook the cable that goes to the inner door handle. It should not be too difficult to figure it out when you look at it, you will likely have to hold the handle open and manipulate the cable out of its holder. If you really have no idea I guess I could take my door panel back off again and check for you and post some pictures. I just had mine off yesterday lol.

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
My drivers inside door handle just broke after 24,000 miles. It was clicking beforehand when I tried to open the door but now something broke off inside the door. Anyone else have the problem and how did you fix it. Thanks :crying:
It could be one of two things: a) the cable connector part has broken, or b) the door handle (chrome part) has broken.

If (a) you may be in trouble, since getting a replacement may well be 'difficult'. If b) the news is much better since Rob has determined that the Cobalt inner handles (again, the chrome part) are the same and will fit.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/07-solstice-inner-door-handle-83105/index2.html#post1568161

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm doing this exact fix, just waiting on the handle tomorrow. Using the Cobalt Front Driver side handle for this, and it was easy to remove the pin from the assembly holding the spring and handle in place. I also replaced the door lock actuator, which was a simple fix, just took some work manipulating the rods into place. Car is almost like new again! ;)

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I had the same issue with my inside door handle. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. It seemed to not work when I would try and open it with the doors locked, then I would realize they were locked and unlock them and try again...that's when it wouldn't work and I'd get the clicking noise. Luckily, mine wasn't broke. There is a common cable that hooks to both the outside and inside IMSMC (like a 'Y' cable..don't crucidy me if I'm wrong, it's been 3+ years and I have CRS...LOL.. ), and the inside handle uses a plastic piece to pull the cable. I fixed mine when it was clicking and not opening by a swift, firm yank on the outside door handle. I believe that the plastic piece just needed to be set properly again as that was 3 years ago. Haven't had an issue since. There was one time when I couldn't get it open from either side and took it to the dealer. After looking at it they said they needed to cut a 12x12 hole in the skin of my door or cut the door panel up inside to get at the mechanism to release the door....I said NO!!! Funny thing was when I got there to pick it up, out of habit I grabbed the handle and it worked....didn't have to do the "Dukes of Hazzard" thing.

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts

·
Registered
olstice ("Baby Car")
24 Posts
My just out of the blue broke at 36000 miles. I pulled the door panel off and I can see how it’s came disconnected. How ever when I slide it back it won’t stay put. So going to pop off the passenger door panel and see how that one is put together.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My just out of the blue broke at 36000 miles. I pulled the door panel off and I can see how it’s came disconnected. How ever when I slide it back it won’t stay put. So going to pop off the passenger door panel and see how that one is put together.
If I remember there is a plastic piece that helps keep it in the slot for the release to work. A small tab breaks off easily but it isn’t needed to keep the cable in place

1 - 16 of 16 Posts