Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting this out there to the wonderful Solstice community as I know I can't be the only one with this problem. I have the 2006 Roadster and I cannot get out of the car by means of the interior handle. GM said I would need an entirely new door assembly and repair of around $600, but unfortunately GM no longer carries this assembly. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get this fixed. A friend tried to epoxy broken part, but it failed immediately. I've looked on line for parts etc. but noting jumps out at me.
Any help would be appreciated.
Dodge Marshall

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Can you better describe the issue you are trying to address?

Is the handle broken? Or the cable? or ??

The Solstice interior door handle is not a replaceable unit. The GM approved repair is to replace the entire door panel. However many of us have done this repair. The Cobalt door handle is identical to that of the Solstice, both the interior and the exterior handles.

You can order a replacement Cobalt door handle and replace the damaged one by disassembling the Cobalt door assembly (pulling the mounting pin) and reinstalling the Cobalt handle into the Solstice door assembly. There are threads with pictures and instructions on this forum.

If the door mount is damaged then you have a different problem.

You can always locate a salvaged inner door panel, talk with Hoosier. He recycles Solstices and Skys

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I am putting this out there to the wonderful Solstice community as I know I can't be the only one with this problem. I have the 2006 Roadster and I cannot get out of the car by means of the interior handle. GM said I would need an entirely new door assembly and repair of around $600, but unfortunately GM no longer carries this assembly. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get this fixed. A friend tried to epoxy broken part, but it failed immediately. I've looked on line for parts etc. but noting jumps out at me.
Dodge Marshall
So are you saying you can open the door from the outside by not from the inside? As Rob said a better description would help.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Dodge Marshall
I hope I was able to steer you in the right direction
Just be careful removing the door panel, disconnecting the cable that attaches to the interior handle
And all electrical connections

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to reply to the issue of the broken interior door handle on the Solstice.

Yes, it is true that GM only provided replacements assemblies for the door handle that forced you to buy the entire interior door panel for the Pontiac Solstice but the those panel assemblies are no longer in production. I have discovered that the Exact same interior door handles used in the Solstice is also used on the Pontiac G5 (2006-2009) left side p/n 22722755 / right side P/N 22722754 that is available through Amazon and other parts dealers for around $20.

The part comes installed in a bezel with the hinge pin and spring that you can disassemble and easily install in the Solstice. You will need to remove the door panel to get access to the hinge pin. The solstice comes with a plastic pin , Slide the pin up to remove the old handle. I recommend using the new steel pin and spring on the replacement. install it from the top and secure it with the E-clip on the bottom. The part is an exact replacement and looks good.

I hope this helps any one who may have the same problem I had.
good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well... I have the same problem on my Pontiac Solstice 2006.
I cannot get out of the car by means of the interior handle.. the door opens fine from the outside, but can not on the inside.. like if it had a child lock.

The GM Service dealer official diagnostic is "the passenger door latch cable is coming apart and it needs to be replaced".. they wanted $383 so I said no.

I have google this situation and it seems that all the HowTos are for changing either the interior or exterior door handle.. but no one talks about a cable.

any ideas or advice are more than welcome..

thanks!

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,554 Posts
my wife will soon rip the pass side off,you cant fix stupid. I reckon I need to order one...and have on hand for when she does.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Well... I have the same problem on my Pontiac Solstice 2006.
I cannot get out of the car by means of the interior handle.. the door opens fine from the outside, but can not on the inside.. like if it had a child lock.

The GM Service dealer official diagnostic is "the passenger door latch cable is coming apart and it needs to be replaced".. they wanted $383 so I said no.

I have google this situation and it seems that all the HowTos are for changing either the interior or exterior door handle.. but no one talks about a cable.

any ideas or advice are more than welcome..

thanks!
I have seen one or maybe two complaints about the cable breaking, but it's rare. Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy the cable on it's own. You have to buy the whole latch/lock assembly, see page: https://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/oem-parts/gm-lock-20826655

Maybe you could get a used one?

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
There is a small flap that is supposed to retain the cylindrical cable end in the handle. Nearly every time the door panel is removed and the cable is unhooked this small flap breaks. Mine has been gone for years. It's possible the last time the cable was reinstalled, the end was not properly reinstalled and has slipped out of the handle

I would pull the door panel and take a look. Four screws and pull the bottom in while lifting up. You can inspect the cable and see what the problem is.

It's like a bicycle brake cable. A wire inside a flexible tube with a metal cylinder on the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been having the same problem with my door. It is frustrating because I forget I have to leave to car on to roll the window down and open the door from the outside. Will they it out..a big thank you

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
My interior handle driver's side stays half open and the door won't close, or the exterior handle is left half engaged.

Passenger door lock "clicks" but doesn't disengage the lock 90% of the time. Thanks to previous owner the, not sure the name of part- the plastic part at top of door is broken- thus pliers to pull up and disengage the lock!

My poor car was BEYOND mistreated by previous owner!

From reading posts, driver side need new innards? Passenger side could just be gunked up, clean and evaluate?

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
Except for the door lock pull, it is possible that both side just need to be cleaned and lubricated. The first thing to do is open the door and find out what is going on.

As for the the door lock pull itself, depending on the condition of the rod, these may be your answer: DDMWorks Lil' Chromies*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dodge Marshall

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d unsuccessfully searched and searched for a way to replace my driver’s side interior door handle on my 2007 Solstice. The official response is to replace the entire interior door panel…expensive! I’m frugal, refused to give up, and was finally able to solve the problem, albeit with a bit of MacGyver’ing. I hope that this post helps at least a few of you with the same problem.

First, this solution is not for replacing the entire housed interior door handle mechanism. Rather, this post is only for replacement of the door handle itself, which in my case, showed peeling chrome/plastic. This is a cheap part and looked even cheaper due to chrome/plastic chipping in my otherwise fairly pristine car (see pic).

I bought a complete door handle mechanism replacement, listed as the proper replacement for a similar year Pontiac G5. The entire mechanism cost under $20.00 (see pic). I knew that I needed only the door handle itself, and not the entire mechanism. My other option was a “correct” door handle replacement via eBay at a cost of $55.00. Again, I’m frugal, and knew that I could take apart the new mechanism to get the door handle part that I needed.

Onward.

Disconnect the door panel from the door as indicated in other YouTube videos or other articles you can find on the web. If you’re stuck and cannot find a good explanation for how to do this, let me know, and I’ll help to connect you with that answer as well. You’ll need to disconnect the wiring clips for the side-view mirrors, the electric door locks, and the power windows. Also, you’ll need to disconnect the cable for the door handle mechanism itself. Note that the clip for the power windows is a bit tricky. I found a small retaining clip that needed to be removed before the actual clip could be squeezed and unplugged. The cable for the door handle mechanism took a second or two to figure out as well. A plastic piece slides up and away from the mechanism, allowing the cable to be freed. Go slowly, and you’ll figure it out.

Now that you’ve got the door panel off the car, you’ll easily be able to access the door handle from the interior of the panel. This is where it gets tricky, MacGyver’y (new word). The door handle is held in place with a plastic dowel, expansion clip at one end to hold it in place. The dowel holds the handle and the spring. To remove the dowel, squeeze the expansion section at the bottom of the dowel, and work to push it up through the top of the entire mechanism. You’ll find that there isn’t enough room in the panel to actual remove the dowel. That is, the top of the door panel curves inward, and the angled panel section that rests in the top of the door to hold the panel in place is in the way, making it impossible to remove the dowel. I bravely cut enough of the angled section (visible on the interior of the panel only) away to allow the dowel to be freed (a 1/4 to 1/2" wide piece cut away only). You then also have to gently and carefully bend the entire plastic panel enough to be able to remove the dowel. This requires caution and bravery. With my wife’s help (4 hands are a necessity), we pulled it off!

Reverse the order, using your new (G5) door handle, and your rig will look as good as new! I even used the metal dowel and new spring that came with the G5 mechanism, rather than re-using the old Solstice plastic dowel and older (weaker) spring.

Altogether, it took me 2 hours or so to make this fix. It looks great! I’m glad to chat with anybody to offer more thoughts on this effort.

Happy driving!

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Yes, this is a fairly common problem as you can see from this thread and the fix has been posted elsewhere too. So take this as a reminder, folks, if you have a problem with your Sol/Sky, do a search on the forums (or even google) before you give up!

BUT, to BiroBrooks, thanks for the comprehensive write-up, there are ideas in yours (cutting away the door support to access the pin) that I don't think have been suggested before.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
That's how I did it for my repair. Very small amount of material to be removed so the stock pin can be reused. And, yes, the new spring does help. Worked perfectly.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
2 Posts
My issue is that the plastic housing that holds the cable has cracked making the T shaped end of the cable slip out of the housing and the interior door handle just slides out of housing and won't open.

Thoughts on repair? Superglue? Epoxy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts