Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My research tells me that my toll each way on I-80 in Pennsylvania could run as high as $73 with the trailer. I'm not certain, but it looks like E-ZPass could save me between $26 and $40 each way, depending on whether or not their equipment detects my trailer. I'd also save a little in Ohio and maybe even in Chicago.

I may well make another trip or two to Ohio in the next year or so and I do so hate to sit in line at the Cash lanes around Chicago. Sooo...

Do those of you who use E-ZPass in the area recommend that I obtain one?

( :driving:)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I may well make another trip or two to Ohio in the next year or so and I do so hate to sit in line at the Cash lanes around Chicago. Sooo...

Do those of you who use E-ZPass in the area recommend that I obtain one?

( :driving:)
Yes. In Illinois alone, the iPass tolls are 1/2 what they charge in the cash lanes.

I never paid attention elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
There is a lot of the USA to see that does not have Tolls or Trolls!:thumbs:
I ALWAYS take the secondary roads. Makes for a lot more interesting trip. :thumbs:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be a bit pressed for time. Avoiding the Pennsylvania turnpike from Cleveland to Bushkill would be like bypassing the Atlantic Ocean traveling from New York to London. I think it makes a 5 hour drive closer to 9. But I will give you the fact that taking the long way home is definitely an option when you are driving a Solstice or a Sky.

I'm now all signed up with Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
281 Posts
For those of us who are not accustom to being tolled for anything...from what I've been told by the Pennsylvania Turnpike folks, there isn't a toll on I-80. Am I misreading something on this thread?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mysolst is correct - there is no toll on I-80 in Pennsylvania. The PA Turnpike is I-76. The Ohio Turnpike switches from I-80 to I-76 about 10-15 miles west of Pennsylvania. Therefore, those of you going east on I-80 Ohio Turnpike will need to exit the turnpike in Ohio to remain on I-80. The signage is good and you shouldn't have any trouble doing so.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch! Thanks mysolst. I used Google maps to get the time and distance from Cleveland to the Poconos. It warned me that there were tolls, but didn't say how much so I went to Pennsylvania's site and asked for the toll from the Ohio line to the Poconos exit. That's where the $70+ figure came from.

My E-ZPass will still help some, just not as much as I thought.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey, thanks GrandpaSolstice for the clarification. Thanks to you I did discover I'm going to get hit with tolls through Illinois. Coming from the west we just don't think about tolls a whole lot, maybe a bridge here and there, but that's it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Hey, thanks GrandpaSolstice for the clarification. Thanks to you I did discover I'm going to get hit with tolls through Illinois. Coming from the west we just don't think about tolls a whole lot, maybe a bridge here and there, but that's it.
Depending on your route, you will get tolls in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. It is possible to avoid all of them, but you will increase your driving time substantially.

:brentil:

Thinking about it, I plugged Edgewood, WA to Bushkill, PA into my Garmin mapping software, set to fastest route, and it has you on toll roads from Rockford, IL all the way through to the eastern Ohio area where I-80 and I-76 split.

If you were to get an iPass from Illinois, it is accepted in all three states, and the best part is you don't have to even slow down for most toll gates. :dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
There are tolls everywhere in the northeast. I ordered an E-Z Pass for this trip, but I'm in NJ once or twice a year anyway. I ordered my E-Z Pass from NJ because it's the only one that isn't vehicle specific, in fact, you don't even have to own a vehicle to get one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did some more 'googling' of our route and assuming the designated toll roads in Google maps are correct we're avoiding as many tolls as tome will allow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts