Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am driving down the highway, and in front of me is a line of five Chaterham sports cars. Now this is one of those mythical cars with a cult following that receives gushing praise from sports car purists for its speed, handling, and race track performance. And they are all crawling along the pot-holed freeway at a tame 45 miles per hour. They take the off-ramp and continue on the surface streets at 25 miles per hour.

So what does this have to do with the Solstice?

The Solstice is a real sports car meant for a broad market to enjoy. I get tired of people praising these track cars like the Chaterham or Lotus Elise mostly because of their impressive on paper performance stats.

I am sure they are great cars for track days. I am sure there are people who drive them on the streets. I am sure there are folks out their who couldn't enjoy driving anything else. I'm not here to bash cars like the Chaterham - they have their strengths and I am sure those who like them, love them. I am here to say that Pontiac did the exact right thing to make this car a great sports car AND a great road car for the real world of traffic, morons and potholes.

Those who praise light weight cars with racing suspensions should get out for a ride in one on a nice pot-holed freeway and see how comfortble it drives at anything over 45 miles per hour. If you want a track day car, get a Chaterham. If you want a sports car, get a Solstice.

(I'm now donning Kevlar space suit in anticipation of the Chaterham chorus.)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Soltstice is the way to go.........

jimbo said:
Those who praise light weight cars with racing suspensions should get out for a ride in one on a nice pot-holed freeway and see how comfortble it drives at anything over 45 miles per hour. If you want a track day car, get a Chaterham. If you want a sports car, get a Solstice.
Couldn't have said it better! Although I do plan to purchase a Lotus Elise after the Solstice. However, the Solstice is more practical! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
:agree: No offense to people who like those track cars, because this really is in a different class of automobile (not trying to say it's better ... just aimed at different markets). Pontiac really hit the mark for their target audience on this one ... a beautiful, affordable roadster that handles great and is extremely comfortable as a daily driver. I just had my first experience driving it over a cobblestone/brick road and was able to maintain a fairly normal speed without jarring the teeth out of my head ... quite an unexpected surprise.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
It's like the difference between an English racer and a mountain bike.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What the heck is a Chaterham?Asked an unknowing and ignorant,maybe even naive forum member. :confused:Have no knowledge,I'm sure a member will set me straight. :thumbs:

·
Registered
687 Posts
What is a Sports Car.

Just read the excellent post by JIMBO relative to a Sports Car and thought I would give my two cents worth and experience with true Sports Cars.

Some years ago, before all the track only qualified cars that cost terrible amounts of money my wonderful wife, Carolyn, and I were very active in Sports Cars and events. In France I was president of Ecuri, can't recall proper spelling, Normandy. I drove a LeMans Austin Healey four banger of 1956 and one of the last Lemans Healey built. In 1959 I ordered an AC Bristal to be built to my specs in England then flown to France, picked it up in Paris and then we drove to LeMans. The engine was a Class D modified 6 cyl. BMW with an all aluminum body and DeDion suspension. This car, under license, became the Shelby Cobra in the US. Cost of the Healey, as I recall, was around $2,400 and the AC around $4,400 delivered. Now to why the Solstice is a Sports Car when the others JIMBO mentioned, to me, are not...

On a weekend Carolyn and I might be doing a day tour with the club to interesting places finishing with a great dinner in some out in the country restrauant. The next weekend we might drive somewhere and do a closed course race on public roads. No roadcourses then. Another weekend we might be doing a Gymkana in France, Germany etc. Other weekends we would enter a very fast, very difficult rally sometimes 12 hours long at night in the Alps. Carolyn was the very best navigator I ever had. We had no high tech devices then to help and the navigastors job was really hard. Then there were the wonderful trips to Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Costa Brava in Spain. Remember going to Spain in the AC and never getting under 120mph for over an hour. Fun. French police didn't much care how fast you went back then. During all this both cars were comfortable for long drives, trips, trouble free and just fun though with side curtains that you slid into the top of the doors and true rag tops sometimes the weather proofing left a bit to be desired.

The Solstice is a Sports Car. You could drive to an event, do it, and drive home. Then the measure of a Sports Car was a vehicle you could travel in to a competetive event, compete with comparable cars, then, baring any crash, get in and drive home. Maintenance was minimual and easy and the vehicles were dependable.

I believe the Solstice is a true Sports Car meeting all the criteria and abilities listed above and one of a very few in the world today. Main thing different is it is more high tech and offers many features, comfort like AC sound system etc., not available back then.

Just do as we did back then...diive it, baby it, love it and enjoy it and sometimes just look at it. Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts