Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have seen the light, been to the Mountain, all that. There's even grainy video from my camera. Not sure about the legal implications there versus photos. New words need to be invented to convey the level of coolness one reaches when loosed on the public roads in the Sol. One lady in another car pointed so hard that she mashed her finger into her side window glass- looked painful.

I am regretting my GXP-holdout conviction. The normally aspirated engine does beautifully and coaxes you into reving it higher and higher. You can chirp the rear tires but laterally, my courage and common sense kept us well away from the .90 ideal-surface limit. Even then my passenger was giddier than I was when the ride was over. You get a wild feeling of sitting on a huge amount of rubber with limitless grip.

Walk out into the road in front of where you live when no cars are going to run over you. Get down into a crouch with your legs fully bent and your back straight, and there's your driving eye level. It feels lower than the C6 'Vette.

More impressions as my heart rate returns to normal tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you need a place to host your video/images give me a PM.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
This is, of course, the most extreme cruelty to those of us that have a long wait for ours. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The video is in need of editing for privacy and "editorial" reasons (Am I really that fat? Crap!) I'll figure that out. If anybody knows a free and easy way to chop up video files, let me know. Also I'd like to make myself look like Brad Pitt.

More on the ride:

I know on paper there's no comparing the hp numbers, but I kept having Corvette flashbacks to driving the C6 at an AutoShowInMotion event. You get a feeling of size and solidness. The steering sensitivity is perfectly calibrated once you get to a speed that benefits from it, otherwise I found it less communicative at low speeds from zero to 30.

The Aisin transmission is a really a joy. My time was limited, but I experienced a swift learning curve from the gearbox in my daily driver. It's just a matter of inches from gear to gear. Shifts are certain- mechanically definite while not feeling harsh or otherwise odd. This aspect was much better than the C6 shifter, although this may be due to the Corvette's days of hard autoshow duty, where any shmoe can jump in and grind away.

The engine note is a warm, low, "unhurried" tone that is surprising from an I-4. It's surprisingly quiet, even at idle. One thing I like is that you get to dig in to more of what the car can do in regular, non-racetrack driving situations. With the big horsepower cars, the prospect of using 80% of your capability on the street is simply insane. Not so on the Sol. You get the joy of really using your left foot instead of feeling like you're boring to your own car. The engine wants you to rev it.

O.K., I suddenly have to go to attend to other matters.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I can edit the video for you if you like. PM me as soon as you can, I have all day off tomorrow and would love to spend the entire day working on it if you like.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The video is in need of editing for privacy and "editorial" reasons (Am I really that fat? Crap!) I'll figure that out. If anybody knows a free and easy way to chop up video files, let me know.
Stang is right, Windows moviemaker will do the job, or if you have access to a Mac you could use iMovie and save it as a Quicktime file. I edit video for a living (hence my name, Editguy), and teach a (Emmy award winning!) high school television and video production class, so if you need help you can PM me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Remo said:
One thing I like is that you get to dig in to more of what the car can do in regular, non-racetrack driving situations. With the big horsepower cars, the prospect of using 80% of your capability on the street is simply insane. Not so on the Sol. You get the joy of really using your left foot instead of feeling like you're boring to your own car. The engine wants you to rev it.
Ok now that's what I have been waiting to hear. I didn't really like my buddy's C5 I've driven as it takes alot of speed to wake up and become an enjoyable drive, which is just irresponsible on the street.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Editguy said:
This is, of course, the most extreme cruelty to those of us that have a long wait for ours. ;)
:agree:

...and yet I want more :willy:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drove it again today. More open mouths in passing vehicles. Sorry for neglecting my Sol-less bretheren for so long but irrelevant responsibilities keep cropping up lately. I know ya want the video, but time is a premium now. I only have 1 or 2 clips of 10-20 secs each that don't include somebody's face. I do appreciate the advice on editing it, guys. If I don't get it out tomorrow, somebody else will probably have some better. (Man, this IPA is good! Hops from Hell!)

I think I also missed an opportunity to become the first documented Soltice- related ticket today, but that's a different, incriminating story.

Guys, I'm just a lucky bastard(as my wife will also assert in the resoundingly emphatic). I don't Auto-Cross, I don't balance my own turbines in my laundry room, I'm not a GM P.R. person, I don't bring any distinctly car- related skills to the party, and I know that this forum is approximately 18 Metric Buttloads deep with people who walk the walk with their mad skills in auto lore, engineering, driving, whatever. I am sure, however, that the Solstice is The Car. This is it, the "Red Barchetta".

I got better with the shifter in today's brief encounter. First gear goes by in a flash as the Tach leaps from left to right. This short gear has to have a lot to do with the Sol's jump off the line. The later gates experience a lowering of the torque feel registered by my one-of-a-kind PDSD, or "Posterior Dynometric Sensing Device", or "Butt Dyno". Most people arrive so equipped. You do understand that this is a 4 cylinder as you accellerate. It does need some bigger numbers on the tach to get that sports-car thing going. I can even see this as a comfortable daily driver, though I feel the need to throw some salt, touch some iron, or cross myself when I say those words. I know that some drivers who are enthralled with the Sol design as "cute" will never edge over 4000 on the tach, and thus hardly stir the beast within.

You're just absolutely glued to the road in this thing. That's it. The limits must be out there somewhere, but I'll wait until I get my own before pushing it around. I just don't have enough experience at these g's(or decimals thereof) to be a test pilot. I've had a good time driving the NB MX-5, and I had some right-seat time riding with true race car drivers, but this is another matter. It's the perfect increases in size, horsepower, quietness, and frame stiffness. I can hardly wait for the deafening silence from the legions of "Captain Bring-Down" nay- sayers from the Japanese Enthusiast Roadster Forums. Hey, how 'bout a new acronym? "JERF"s. Parenthetically, well not really, (ok now), I know there's another legion of level-headed people on the JERFs who love the idea of our Solstice to compete with and join the tiny Roadster fraternity.

There are, and will soon be more, reviews about the fact that somebody drove another one, etc. I have access to the object of our love for a couple more days- any specific, attainable requests? You numbskulls out there have made the forum great, and I'll be glad if I can contribute. This does not mean I can deliver a Solstice to your home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MAKsys said:
:agree:

...and yet I want more :willy:
Hey, I recognize the quote under your message MAKsys. That was one bitch of a song to learn for a young kid who just thought he was a good drummer....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WaitingForBoost said:
You're not the only one.... :)
Oh, man, even my wife is giving me flak for not jumping on the NA version. Also, she's not been allowed to ride with me either....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darkhamr said:
Ok now that's what I have been waiting to hear. I didn't really like my buddy's C5 I've driven as it takes alot of speed to wake up and become an enjoyable drive, which is just irresponsible on the street.
-Not that you can't inadvertently be totally irresponsible with the crazy adhesion of the Sol...sorry, I can't seem to be able to look away from your avatar....

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Remo said:
...I think I also missed an opportunity to become the first documented Soltice- related ticket today, ...
No, I think that has already happened :( ;)

But not documented on solsticeforum... :lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Remo said:
I know ya want the video, but time is a premium now. I only have 1 or 2 clips of 10-20 secs each that don't include somebody's face.
Dude, we've been going nucking futs over still photos of the 3rd freakin' cupholder, for God's sake. Trust me, anything you've got will make all of our pitiful little lives so much better. You can do the Francis Ford Copolla thing later....

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
No, I think that has already happened :( ;)

But not documented on solsticeforum... :lol:
How fast in a what zone, Solsticeman? Fess up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Remo said:
-Not that you can't inadvertently be totally irresponsible with the crazy adhesion of the Sol...sorry, I can't seem to be able to look away from your avatar....
Well that's why she's there. lol Besides making it easier to find my own posts of course.
I can't wait to drive the Sol. I just finished off my suspension by adding a 5mm thicker rear sway to my car last night and the understeer is now nil. Awesome to have balanced handling again.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts