Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my parents 2005 Dodge Caravan this past weekend. Upon climbing into the driver seat, it was like I was sitting in a movie theater. The glass in the front windshield seemed H-U-G-E!

Then when it came to droving this poor van. The front wheel drive felt really, really weird to me. Almost to the point of "Oh my god, how do people think this is actually a fun thing to drive?" type of feeling.

Now that #14 is going into storage fairly soon (I keep delaying it), I will be back to driving a 92 Caravan FWD. UGG!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I too will be storing my car for the winter...I you doing anything special to do that? Meaning, putting the car on blocks etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You're killing us!!

Excelsior said:
I drove my parents 2005 Dodge Caravan this past weekend. Upon climbing into the driver seat, it was like I was sitting in a movie theater. The glass in the front windshield seemed H-U-G-E!

Then when it came to droving this poor van. The front wheel drive felt really, really weird to me. Almost to the point of "Oh my god, how do people think this is actually a fun thing to drive?" type of feeling.

Now that #14 is going into storage fairly soon (I keep delaying it), I will be back to driving a 92 Caravan FWD. UGG!
For those of us that are STILL hoping to get our Sols in time to get some drive time (& maybe a couple of top-down days) before the hibernation. We are ALL envious of the TWO MONTHS you've had behind the wheel.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Excelsior said:

I have one too, but with the 3 boys we have found it to be a necessity. Drive a 2002 cavalier to work. :yawn:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There is FWD, and then there is FWD. Some FWD cars are certainly fun to drive. A Caravan is not even close to being one of those cars. :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

Fformula88 said:
There is FWD, and then there is FWD. Some FWD cars are certainly fun to drive. A Caravan is not even close to being one of those cars. :lol:
I have a Chrysler Town and Country van (fourth Chrysler mini-van) and love the way it drives. It's not a sports car but it roomy, comfortable and easy to drive for hundreds of miles in one go.

I'm sure the Solstice will be awesome for it's purpose (I pick mine up today) but it can't beat the van for passenger and cargo room while still being a great drive.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
CanSol said:
I have a Chrysler Town and Country van (fourth Chrysler mini-van) and love the way it drives. It's not a sports car but it roomy, comfortable and easy to drive for hundreds of miles in one go.

I'm sure the Solstice will be awesome for it's purpose (I pick mine up today) but it can't beat the van for passenger and cargo room while still being a great drive.
I learned to drive at the wheel of one of the original Pontiac Trans Sports. It drove very nicely as well. At the time I was glad to be behind the wheel of anything, and it was long enough ago that the SUV craze had not yet given vans a bad name. But I still wouldn't call it fun to drive, in an enthusiast sense.

Cargo room? no contest, but, a Mini Cooper would also wip a Sol for cargo room! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I get the same feeling when I climb into my daily driver, an SUV. Feel like I'm 6 feet in the air and everything in the car seems huge :lol:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
I too will be storing my car for the winter...I you doing anything special to do that? Meaning, putting the car on blocks etc.
Ship it my house.... I will take goooodddd care of it for you. ;)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wannasolstice2 said:
Moisture locked garage that is sealed for the whole season. and temperature controlled heat. Rodent sealed as well. No special preparation needed.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$$ISKING said:
For those of us that are STILL hoping to get our Sols in time to get some drive time (& maybe a couple of top-down days) before the hibernation. We are ALL envious of the TWO MONTHS you've had behind the wheel.

We will be all the same this coming spring though. Some people get to enjoy theirs for the 6+ months mine has to hibernate, so the roles will be reversed! :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ex - I thought it was wise to start the car and drive it every few weeks...when you store it, do you just not do taht?

Any concerns?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I would start it at least once every couple of weeks....a friend of mines dad goes on trips down south for the winter and he likes my friend to go start the vehicles they left behind. He was an auto mechanic at one time so I guess it isn't a bad idea....

FWD is not always fun, I got lucky in having one of the most fun to drive FWDs though. Can't wait for my turbo/s/c Sol to be it's grage mate! W00 :cool: t!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
Ex - I thought it was wise to start the car and drive it every few weeks...when you store it, do you just not do taht?

Any concerns?
That is to prevent battery drain more than anything. The battery will be disconnected when it is parked. Look at how long some cars sit on dealer lots before they are even moved!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I don't know, I had abrand new 82 Sentra that sat for 6 months while I was overseas. Lifters chattered for way to long when I started it, but finally settled down. Emergency brake had rusted and had to rock the car to break the brakes loose so I could move it. Tires had flat spotted. It was fine after a couple of days, but not much fun until everything settled out. I wouldn't do it again.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Excelsior said:
That is to prevent battery drain more than anything. The battery will be disconnected when it is parked. Look at how long some cars sit on dealer lots before they are even moved!
Yep and then they have to run around the lot with a portable battery pack to get them started.

My son works for a dealer that puts cars in a mall in Kansas City, more than once he has had to go back to the shop and get the battery pack to start a car before they could get it out of the mall.

He says this is not as much a problem at the lot because them move the cars around and they are started more often. Something that won't happen with a car stored fro the winter and batteries discharge even if the cable is disconnected, just not as fast. Another thought: why do they have expiration dates on Duracell or Eveready? Because batteries do not hold a charge indefinately. Let the Chemist give the detailed explaination of why this is so, that is way over my head.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
Another thought: why do they have expiration dates on Duracell or Eveready? Because batteries do not hold a charge indefinately. Let the Chemist give the detailed explaination of why this is so, that is way over my head.
Electrons have a hard time sitting still and in their place forever.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Fformula88 said:
We had an 87 Magic Wagon when the kids were small. The fun time to drive it was during a snowstorm in late November when there was 6-8 inches of unplowed snow on the roads. I had to drive several people home from a meeting because everyone's car was stuck in the parking lot.

That thing never got stuck and it only had all-seasons on it not winter tires.

·
Registered
504 Posts
LITHA looks so tiny next to the winter ride,it could fit in the bed of the truck,I'm either 6' off the ground or scraping my ass. :lol: Case in point ,ticket machines for parking lots,either reaching down 2' or up 2' to push button for ticket,but I love it .This car is a combination of motorcycle and go-cart. :yesnod: :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts