Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Solstice will be my first convertible.
Question for all you convertible owners out there...
Does the top seal well enough that it won't leak while pressure washing or driving through a touch free carwash?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I won't say it "never" will. Chances are it won't. It shouldn't if all is perfect. However, when you put it up, if it doesn't seat just right, or if there is some dirt in it, you could get a little bit of water seeping in. On my Jeep, I generally stay water free inside, put if the pressure washer hits the right spot, at the right angle, and the top isn't perfectly alined on the header I do get a little bit. The Sol's top is going to be better engineered to that of my Jeep too. I wouldn't worry about it, but if it does leak a little, just bring goggles! :lol:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fformula88.
I drove through a brand new one this morning and I was amazed at how much water pressure it had... Just made me wonder. ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mcbman said:
Thanks Fformula88.
I drove through a brand new one this morning and I was amazed at how much water pressure it had... Just made me wonder. ;)
I just want to add this caveat. You never know. If you read new car reviews a lot, the reviewers usually take convertables through carwashes and report if they leak any water in from the high pressure. The last few years I have seen very few report leak problems, but some of them do. So anything is possible. I just think with a new design on a stout platform such as Kappa, chances are pretty small. We shall see.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not recommended

Most convertibles will not like the high pressure of any car wash. Your water seals are designed to redirect falling water out and away from the interior. Direct water pressure from angles other than downward can allow water to creep into the interior. I had both targa top and soft top cars and made the mistake of trying it and it did leak. Better not to try this unless you really just can't get it done by hand. Both times the leaks where along the inside of the windows only.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My 2000 Miata will leak if I use a car wash power wand and have it at 90 degrees to the window. Under rain conditions, I have never had a leak.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Just remember the article about the top "fit" problem they are currently having...hope it gets fixed and provides a nice seal but forcing water in at high pressure from weird angles might find some leaks, never know.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am sorry, I must be from the old school. I have owned 10 convertibles in my lifetime and I have never ran one of them in a carwash (touchless, waterless..). Hand washing and TLC is all convertibles deserve. If I can help it water will never see any top of mine - I just use a wet towel to clean off my tops.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
SolTex said:
I am sorry, I must be from the old school. I have owned 10 convertibles in my lifetime and I have never ran one of them in a carwash (touchless, waterless..). Hand washing and TLC is all convertibles deserve. If I can help it water will never see any top of mine - I just use a wet towel to clean off my tops.
Do you contition them with anything? Like leather conditioner?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would like to able to hand wash only but the water at my home is extremely hard and leaves noticable residue. Will probably opt for the wand wash over high pressure automatic carwashes. Another concern for me (besides possible leaking issues) is the long term effect on the top material of strong soaps and liquid waxes used in most auto-washes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Do you contition them with anything? Like leather conditioner?
Nine out the ten have all had vinyl tops. Surf the web and you will find tons of cleaners and conditioners for vinyl tops. With a black top I have found that dirt and deposits settle down into the texture of the top - a little elbow grease with a damp towel does the job. I use cleaners and conditioners only once or twice a year.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SolTex said:
Nine out the ten have all had vinyl tops.
Think Sol has a cloth top but same idea, search the web because there are tons of cleaners for rag tops (both vinyl and cloth).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
For the top on my Jeep (vinyl coated canvas), Chrysler recommends only using mild soap (like car wash detergent) and water to clean it, and not using any kind of chemicals on it. I'd defer to whatever the Solstice manual says about it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
[B]"NOT A PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT, JUST A EXAMPLE OF WHAT IS OUT THERE"
Mothers™ Convertible Top Cleaner is unmatched in its cleaning performance. It washes all types of convertible tops effectively without being even the slightest bit abrasive. Mothers™ Convertible Top Cleaner is a PH-balanced, super-sudsing formula that gently lifts grit and grime away from the surface of your convertible top. The wrong cleaner on a convertible top can be disastrous. Cloth tops can stain, vinyl tops can become abraded, and the wrong combination of chemicals can damage stitching. Exactly what to use has long been a concern for convertible enthusiasts, who understand fully that cleaning and protecting the exterior top is an absolute necessity. Some products contain chemicals, such as bleach, that can over time cause pre-mature deterioration of fabrics and stitching. They can also cause the tops to fade, forever robbing them of their original luster. Mothers™ Convertible Top Cleaner is 100% bleach-free. Designed as a frequent use formula, it is safe to use over and over again without ever worrying it could cause your convertible top to prematurely fade or deteriorate. It will never damage stitching, fibers, or paint of any color.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
SolTex said:
Nice concept but when you've just driven 500 miles in the rain to go to the Vintage weekend at the Glen, you've got to get the dirt off some how.

You've just driven 700 miles through bug infested coastal wetlands, better a powerwash then to leave them dry on the car.

Some people like too look at their car, some dive them anywhere, anytime. They get dirty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I personally wouldn't take the car through a automatic wash because the top gets the full shot of the soaps waxes etc. I do wash our Cabrio in a self service car wash, but I can control (more or less) what gets on the top. Unless the top gets something really nasty on it, like pine sap, I only use water on the cloth.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts