Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I had a tire gauge that was in my kappaATTIC, but it dropped out and fell into the flaps. Originally it wasn't too hard to get out, but it got caught in some sound deadening material and I accidentally pushed it deeper.

Now my question is... to get at it, did the thing actually dropped behind the subwoofer, or is it somewhere deep in the car now?

Image Courtesy: AztekzRpurty

Thanks... :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is the tire gauge metal? Can you feed one of those extendible magnets (like from Princess auto) into the hole?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the tire gauge metal? Can you feed one of those extendible magnets (like from Princess auto) into the hole?
I think my old one was, this new one felt like plastic.

It wasn't that deep in but it got caught in the padding material then I accidentally pushed it through the hole...

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
OK, I'm confused. Do you mean it dropped into the fabric of the roof? Or behind the plastic panels behind the seats?

If it's in the fabric in a pocket somewhere, then it's STILL there.

If it's behind the plastic panels, then you'll need to remove the panels to get to it. Your question "did the thing actually dropped behind the subwoofer, or is it somewhere deep in the car now?" is basically the same thing. This post & thread shows how to remove the panels so you can get access (note: photos won't show unless you're logged in to that forum): Kappa Specific Sound Deadening Kits

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I'm confused. Do you mean it dropped into the fabric of the roof? Or behind the plastic panels behind the seats?

If it's in the fabric in a pocket somewhere, then it's STILL there.

If it's behind the plastic panels, then you'll need to remove the panels to get to it. Your question "did the thing actually dropped behind the subwoofer, or is it somewhere deep in the car now?" is basically the same thing. This post & thread shows how to remove the panels so you can get access (note: photos won't show unless you're logged in to that forum): Kappa Specific Sound Deadening Kits
No it's not the fabric. It's inside the flaps, I saw it there but accidentally made it drop deeper. But I'm wondering if that deeper cavity is actually the same space behind the subwoofer, or is there another cavity behind that panel I circled.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Still not really sure what you mean by "flaps". But if you're talking about the hard plastic trim panels, then it's inside the metal bulkhead. There's no other cavities - except maybe the pockets where the seat belt retractors sit - but still the same basic area.

By the way, the sub enclosure is bolted tight to the metal bulkhead. If anything, it would fall in front of the sub, between it and the plastic panel. Vis:

·
Registered
834 Posts
As long as it's not in the seat belt retractor area, and that you mentioned "padding material" makes me think you are talking about the sound absorbing non-woven material that is glued to the back of the "waterfall" panel. In that case, it's between the sub enclosure and the plastic panel with the grill for the sub in it.

No worries. It's really easy to get to. All you need is a panel popper type tool. Pull up the door sills, then pry off the rear panels that hold the small rear speakers, with the seat belt opening at the top, then the back panel comes off in one piece.

You may be able to fish it out without removing the back panel from the bottom of the panel where the subwoofer grill is. If you can get that panel away from the enclosure a little, what you lost back there should slide and fall down.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still not really sure what you mean by "flaps". But if you're talking about the hard plastic trim panels, then it's inside the metal bulkhead. There's no other cavities - except maybe the pockets where the seat belt retractors sit - but still the same basic area.

By the way, the sub enclosure is bolted tight to the metal bulkhead. If anything, it would fall in front of the sub, between it and the plastic panel. Vis:

The two spring loaded flaps that open when you put the top up.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
The two spring loaded flaps that open when you put the top up.
Ahhhh! In that case it's in the trunk! Probably trapped between the inside of the roof and the front of the trunk. I would unlatch the roof and close/open it part way (maybe have someone else hold it up in place) then reach down into the front part of the trunk to find it. Might even be possible to get at it with the roof all the way in the trunk.

Your photo - especially with the arrow - really confused me!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, rather than take the whole car apart, abandon the search and buy a new guage.
Well I actually need to troubleshoot something rattling on the driver's side anyways, so...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Probably find another tire gauge! :) Reminds me of a funny story. We had IBM AT computers (1984) in a lab and on some the bezel below the floppy drive did not fit well leaving a 1/8" gap. This was a freshman computer lab and we recently changed the software so they no longer had to put their floppy in the machine to run the software. Well someone complained they put their floppy into the gap and not the drive and wanted their floppy back. When the tech opened the machine, he found 27 floppies inside! The instructors were still telling the students to put their floppy in, but it was no longer necessary. But 26 people never complained about losing their disk!!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
check under the carpet at the front part of the trunk where it turns upward. I dropped my gasket for my windscreen mount down that way and thats where I found it.:)

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Probably find another tire gauge! :) Reminds me of a funny story. We had IBM AT computers (1984) in a lab and on some the bezel below the floppy drive did not fit well leaving a 1/8" gap. This was a freshman computer lab and we recently changed the software so they no longer had to put their floppy in the machine to run the software. Well someone complained they put their floppy into the gap and not the drive and wanted their floppy back. When the tech opened the machine, he found 27 floppies inside! The instructors were still telling the students to put their floppy in, but it was no longer necessary. But 26 people never complained about losing their disk!!
Ah the goold old days of the PC. Local car dealer called in a free-lance computer guy I know. He reviewed the computer and told him he had a mouse problem. Dealer insisted the mouse worked fine. He said "No, take a look" and pointed out that a mouse had started building a nest inside the box by the power supply. Nice and warm there!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....already in progress.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Turn the car over and shake the hell out of it.It will soon fall out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey chickenwire now that is funny and very believable,seeing how I worked on many computers in my times and found some quite interesting items myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts